Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Please recommend in-car stuff for compaq 3850
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Please recommend in-car stuff for compaq 3850

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bloodlocust
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2004 10:35 am    Post subject: Please recommend in-car stuff for compaq 3850 Reply with quote

Hi there,

thinking of getting a very cheap compaq 3850. What stuff do I need to complete the in-car gps kit?

So far I have nothing but tomtom software.

Shopping list:
[list=]
cheap compaq 3850
cheap gps reciever
cheap in car pda thing that clips on air vent or windscreen and joins it all up to the lighter socket
[/list]

What I need help with is perhaps links or stuff about the gps reciever and in-car holder thing that powers everything. I am lost as to which will work with the 3850....

Your advice is really valued!
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2004 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

receiver: I personally would recommend a serial receiver. cheapest option, and more flexible than a jacket or CF receiver.

Mount: I don't like those bracket mounts, my Pocket PC kept falling out. Go for a mount that is fitting an iPAQ plus jacket snugly.

cheap = passive mount= you have to plug/unplug the cable all the time. Think aboout getting an active mount or re-using a standard cradle

Jacket: don't forget you need memory. lots of it. So you'll need to get a PCCard or CF jacket, and a CF memory card, at least 256 MB (more is better)

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
footman
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2004 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too have an ipaq 3850.You must be fairly sure that your car windscreen wont screen out the signal.
Originally I used a Pretec CF receiver mounted in an expansion jacket that gave me an extra battery and a CF slot.This is because I also use the unit for walking.
My new car screened out the signal so I was forced to buy a TDK BT jacket and a Fortuna clip on...terribly "round about" way of doing things but the Ipaq was a gift anyway.Contrary to what many folk on this board say,it all works very well!

HTH

Laurence
bloodlocust
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2004 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hiya,
Quote:

Mount: I don't like those bracket mounts, my Pocket PC kept falling out. Go for a mount that is fitting an iPAQ plus jacket snugly.

Is that something I plug both pda and reciever into and it will plug into the lighter port of the car? forgive my ignorance but I haven't yet purchased the 3850 - I just believe I will be able to get one cheaply.

I am still quite confused. What reliable sites do you recommend I purchase the additional gear from.

You mention a sort of passive cradle. What does this mean?
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2004 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, an active mount will allow you to connect power and the GPS receiver to it, and you can easily insert/remove the Pocket PC. A passive mount means all it does is hold the Pocket PC. You will have to plug/unplug power and GPS receiver cables manually.

Active mounts also sometimes come with amplifiers for weak speakers. But the 3850 has a decent speaker and doesn't need that.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: