Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Upgrade advice for 920 with no internal memory
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Upgrade advice for 920 with no internal memory

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kissinuk
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 1:48 pm    Post subject: Upgrade advice for 920 with no internal memory Reply with quote

Hi,
My 920 is currently running v7 software and I would like to upgrade it to the latest version + maps. However, the internal memory on it stopped working some time ago and I've been running the software & maps direct from an sd card (very slow to start up but it does work at least). What is the best way to update this to the latest version? Would TT Home still work seeing as the internal memory has gone, or is there another way to copy the latest software direct to an SD card?

Many thanks,

Paul.
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I connect an SD card containing the TT software and map using a card reader Home sees it as a TT device and updates accordingly. Presumably it would also do so if you connect your 920 with non-working internal memory, but I haven't tried that, so can only recommend using a card reader.
Samsung Galaxy S21
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which version 7 Navcore have you got on the device/ card, start the unit and tap the sat strength meter followed by the version box the next screen will tell you whats installed.
Once we know what that is we can offer you some links to the newer Navcore versions negating the need to use Home for Navcore updates, it is important to load certain versions when updating a unit such as 7,481 which is why I need to know whats on the unit at the moment.
To install the Navcore without using Home you will need to download and install WinRar to your PC which you can download from Here using WinRar to install/ update the Navcore to an SD card can be done with the card in the device or in a card reader, I prefer the use of a card reader as its generally faster - Mike
kissinuk
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I did mean to put the full version - it's 7.221. Thanks for the help.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kissinuk wrote:
Would TT Home still work seeing as the internal memory has gone?
Anita wrote:
When I connect an SD card containing the TT software and map using a card reader Home sees it as a TT device and updates accordingly.

It actually seems to depend just HOW badly knackered your internal memory is!
Mine died quite slowly on my 720. For a while I could still use it but new things I tried to save to it wouldn't "stick". During that time Home still recognised the TT and let me access the SD card.

However, eventually the internal memory died completely and after that Home didn't recognise that the Go was connected at all, although Windows still saw the SD card as a separate drive as normal.
I worked it like that for some time, being able to use the TT itself as a card reader, but slowly, Windows started acting strangely when I connected the 720, so now I just use a card reader as Anita suggests.

Anita wrote:
....so can only recommend using a card reader.

So long as you have the entire system and maps on the card, plug it into a reader and run Home.
Home should now act exactly as if you had connected the TT itself.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: