Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Loading cameras on tomtom start.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Loading cameras on tomtom start.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mars.1
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 1:08 pm    Post subject: Loading cameras on tomtom start. Reply with quote

I have just brought a tomtom start but dont know how to upload speed cameras to it from my laptop.Garmin uses the poi loader but what application does tomtom use.Thanks.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe you can't load the database on the TomTom Start models. Crying or Very sad

On all other models you just drag and drop the files in the map folder.

ETA: You can load it but it's not much use. See this note from the Compatibility Table here

Quote:
This incredibly basic unit will not show POIs on the map screen while navigating nor is there an option for 'Warn When Near POI' - as such we have marked is as incompatible. The only thing you could do with the database on the 'Start' is navigate to a camera...!

Instructions for all models are also available on that page.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a read through This Thread for some details on what to do, we still need to confirm what works and what doesn't but it certainly appears that you can put a custom menu on the Start and get full POI options available including warnings and OGG file support for the spoken alerts.

If you need details on how to put a custom menu on the device including a suggested text file for the device post back and later today I will post up a guide on what to do - Off out for a walk in the snowy countryside this afternoon - Mike
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where's me coat? Laughing

I knew i'd dived in too early....
mars.1
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a guide so i can get camera icons and basic beeps would be fine thanks mike.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So do we need to update the compatibility table?
kondor
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I have been away a bit guys, medical problems sort of dictate when I can work on this so I have not got round to making a full menu yet.

Hi mars.1

Can you try this out to see if it works fine on yours. This is to check that it will work fine on the tomtom start (it works on mine). You need to do this to open the menu item that allows you to add POI warnings.

Make a backup of your tomtom start first.

In Mycomputer, you should be able to see your tomtom, right click on it and chose "Explore". This is where you need to shove the following folder and mnu file (which you will create in notepad).

In the window Explore should have opened, create a folder by right clicking and choosing "New/Folder", rightclick on that new folder and rename it to "SDKRegistry".

Open notepad and copy n paste the following to it....

MENUBLOCK|BLOCK_MAIN|BTM_GPS_POSITION|
MENUPAGE|TASK_PAGE1| Menu - Click "DONE or "SELECT" For OPTIONS|
MENUITEM|TASK_NAVIGATE_TO|
MENUITEM|TASK_MENU_FIND_ALTERNATIVES|
MENUITEM|TASK_SHOW_MAP|
MENUITEM|TASK_SET_COLOR_SCHEMES|
MENUITEM|TASK_SWITCH_NIGHTVIEW|
MENUITEM|TASK_MAINTAIN_POI|

save as TomTom.mnu (not as a text file, but All files) in the folder called SDKRegistry on your tomtom. Renaming or deleting SDKRegistry will flip your START back to normal.

Note, it is important the the file is called exactly "TomTom.mnu" and that the folder that you put it in is called exactly "SDKRegistry", you can check this by checking the properties of the file. It can not be called TomTom.mnu.txt as that means you saved it as a text file and not All files.

When you restart your tomtom you should see another menu instead of the old one. It isn't permanent, you can get back to the old menu simply by renaming the folder to something like SDKRegistryOFF and restarting the tomtom.

Test that out first and get back to us on how your doing.

Check back on this forum from time to time, as I am working on a new menu layout for the tomtom start that lets you access a lot more of its functions. (although this is strangely ironic because I love the simplicity of the tomtom starts original menus).

For your info, SDKRegistry is a way of altering the menu that tomtom used to encourage by making new releases of its commands, they stopped releasing new commands a while ago when they announced they were stopping development of it but did say that they would continue to support the old codes. These menus I am making are from the old codes tomtom released.
mars.1
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help kondor but i'am not the best with this type of thing so i think i will go back to the garmin satnav that i own for the time being and carry on using the poi loader.Thanks.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can hang in there for a little while, mars.1, I believe a special download package for the Start is being worked on by one of the PGPSW moderators, with everything you need for the new menu included.

Watch this space..... Smile
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

indeed - we need to test it on a few devices, different maps etc first and once confirmed then we will likely offer it as a specific download with the extra files that are needed.

MaFt
mars.1
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will be keeping my eyes open for this one.
hillskipper
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Brilliant, I had bought a Start for my girlfriend, but had resigned myself to the fact that we couldn't load the database onto it. Looks like there might be some hope. Thanks guys.
kondor
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me know if you need anything testing out on my Start.

I am in and out of hospital at the moment, and due an op on March 3rd so do not expect an immediate response but I will try to test stuff out as soon as possible.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: