Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - 530 - Sluggish Screen Update.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

530 - Sluggish Screen Update.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blitzer
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:54 am    Post subject: 530 - Sluggish Screen Update. Reply with quote

Hi all,

I've not been here for a while, mainly because my TT is used occasionally rather than regularly. However, I have recently been used my TT but have noticed that it seems quite sluggish in keeping the map (screen) updated to my position. As a result I've found myself missing my exit on roundabouts several times now and it's becoming frustrating. So really I'm here looking for a plan of action with regards to getting my TT working fluidly again. I'm pretty sure I did notice thing were a little more sluggish the last time I updated the application software to 8.351 and I do have several backups of my TT that I could revert to, but if I do that I'm concerned I may end up with an earlier map version.

I'm currently running...

App 8.351 (9982/090518) OS:315187
GPS V1.20, Boot 5.5120
Map - UK & Rep. Ireland V815.2003

I know my map is a little out of date, but other than that is there a recommended version of the Application software to run if it's not the one I have? I'm not being offered a newer version.
Failing that suggestions for possible solutions would be much appreciated.
Smile

Last edited by Blitzer on Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Blitzer
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Incidentally, I don't have a SD card in my TT - is it something that I should get though, i.e. what are the benefits of doing so?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go to Change Preferences/ Manage POI/ Show POI on map and deselect ALL the POI that are enabled, this should speed up your map refresh rate up by quite a lot - Mike
Blitzer
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I appreciate the reply Mike, looking now I do have quite a few PGPW POI's ticked, but it seems to kind of defeat the object to having them to a degree. Thing is I don't recall the unit being quite this slow before I updated to app 8.351, but that was quite a while ago and I guess it's possible I've added more POI's since then.

Bearing in mind I have the PGPW camera database installed (the all singing and dancing zoned one) can you recommend rough number of POI's to have enabled to show on the map on top of those? If so any recommendation which ones are best to leave visible?

Thanks very much for your help - much appreciated. Very Happy
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use the Change Preferences/ Manage POI/ Warn When Near POI option for each of the cameras and de-select everything in show POI on map, you will still get the warnings as the cameras will show up but this doesn't max out the processor leading to a slow screen, and all the other POI files you have installed can still be used to Navigate to etc - Mike
Blitzer
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, it seems at some point I've accidentally installed more POI's than intended - possibly I have added whole groups rather than specific POI's from PGPW. I have now removed all non-default POI's completely apart from the speed camera database, I'll give this try and see if it has made a difference.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Read my previous post as we must have hit enter at the same time, that details what you need to do - Mike
Blitzer
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will do Mike, thanks for your help. I'll still test the TT without the POI's being installed at all as this should indicate if they were entirely to blame. A good time for me to completely review what POI I have installed anyway. Will post back with my findings, very much hoping it is exactly as you have said - too many POI's showing on the map.

Actually is it possible or advisable to defrag a TT?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blitzer wrote:
Actually is it possible or advisable to defrag a TT?

No point in doing this as the device uses solid state memory or the SD card which again won't suffer speed issues due to file fragmentation - Mike
GerryC
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to point out that it's nothing you have done to do this. When you upgraded the software, it defaults to making ALL your POIs set to view on the map regardless of the settings before the upgrade.

Remember you can do a test by viewing a route in demo mode. You don't have to go for a drive to see the difference. Smile
Brodit ProClip mount
Blitzer
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GerryC wrote:
Just to point out that it's nothing you have done to do this. When you upgraded the software, it defaults to making ALL your POIs set to view on the map regardless of the settings before the upgrade.

Remember you can do a test by viewing a route in demo mode. You don't have to go for a drive to see the difference. Smile

Hi Gerry,

Thanks for the headsup re: the update and making all POI visible on the map. Unfortunately, I will need to test this by driving as my issue was with the map/display not updatingfast enough whilst driving, i.e. the screen was always lagging behind my position to the point where I would think I'd not gone around a roundabout far enough because the TT was an exit behind. Sad
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The point is that IF all the pois are set to show, your map WILL be sluggish on rewriting. You don't actually have to make the drive.
Blitzer
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhn wrote:
The point is that IF all the pois are set to show, your map WILL be sluggish on rewriting. You don't actually have to make the drive.

I appreciate that, but the point is I want to know this is definately the cause of problem for me, it sounds very much like it is, but I'd rather find out before I actually need to use the TT again. Wink

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: