Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Justification?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Justification?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cosmicp
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 4:12 pm    Post subject: Justification? Reply with quote

I'm seriously thinking about subscribing to the Speed Camera database and all the reports regarding it are good.

It appears to me that the database is updated by members of the public which Pocketgpsworld offers a lifetime subscription if they spot a new location.
If this is the case, I'm wondering what my £19.99 is for if the database is updated by members? Surely it should be less than £19.99 if the location updates are carried out by the good will of the public/subscribers as there are no costs involved i.e. sending out spotters?
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Justification? Reply with quote

cosmicp wrote:
I'm seriously thinking about subscribing to the Speed Camera database and all the reports regarding it are good.

It appears to me that the database is updated by members of the public which Pocketgpsworld offers a lifetime subscription if they spot a new location.
If this is the case, I'm wondering what my £19.99 is for if the database is updated by members? Surely it should be less than £19.99 if the location updates are carried out by the good will of the public/subscribers as there are no costs involved i.e. sending out spotters?

the data once collected by members of the public needs processing, storing, formatting, updating, releasing... etc etc etc.

hope that helps?

MaFt
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it were as easy as you suggest then everyone would be doing it! The 'value' is in the processing and collation.

Members don't update the database, they supply locations which we process. if we get 20 reports for one camera that will be 20 different locations and we have to verify the true location.

MaFt above has a full time job processing the submissions and we have a team of verifiers who validate reports.

We utilise our members to ensure we have the most current and accurate service available. And our members will tell you that the service is just that and worth every penny. But if you think all this can be done for free then go ahead and try Smile
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If it were as easy as you suggest then everyone would be doing it!

In fact a couple of sites have made announcements stating how easy it would be to do what PGPSW does but for free and that they would get their own database up and running within 4-6 weeks. 18 months later they still haven't got anywhere.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Justification? Reply with quote

cosmicp wrote:
I'm wondering what my £19.99 is for....

Beer and fags! Cheers!
.....and buying keyboards for MaFt with Shift keys.
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although some sites HAVE tried, with a little bit of help from a pirated copy of the PGPSW database. Razz

cosmicp - if you are thinking about subscribing, I think you will find that other sites/satynav suppliers are pretty well all MORE expensive than here, or have much inferior data (OR BOTH) which is only to be expected when compared with the constant updates to this site.

If you still have reservations, it might be worth your while to search this site for previous discussions on subscriptions. Rest assured you are FAR from the first Wink You can then make your decisions as to whether it is worth your while and money to subscribe. Don't forget it is entirely up to you.

Staff/Moderators/etc. I've had a look through the site but haven't listed the previous discussions here. I took cosmicp's enquiry to be in good faith - hopefully, we will not need to go down those old too-well-trodden paths yet again Question Rolling Eyes
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigPerk wrote:
Staff/Moderators/etc. I've had a look through the site but haven't listed the previous discussions here. I took cosmicp's enquiry to be in good faith - hopefully, we will not need to go down those old too-well-trodden paths yet again Question Rolling Eyes

I dearly hope not Confused
cosmicp
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the replies Smile

It all makes sense now. I shall be subscribing later today or tomorrow.

When I subscribe how long will it take to be processed so I can download the database?
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cosmicp wrote:
When I subscribe how long will it take to be processed so I can download the database?

If you use PayPal and it is not an eCheque, processing is instant and you would have full access within a minute or so.
cosmicp
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fantastic.

I'll subscribe right now then Smile
cosmicp
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now a fully paid up member Smile
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cosmicp wrote:
Now a fully paid up member Smile

Welcome aboard, I'm sure you'll quickly see that it was money well spent. Any problems with the install etc just post a query in the relevant forum.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: