Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Avoiding Oncoming Traffic!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Avoiding Oncoming Traffic!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
crowman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 6:31 am    Post subject: Avoiding Oncoming Traffic! Reply with quote

Spent a week down in the South West, near Dartmouth. Lovely place - but my TT930 had the annoying habit of sending me down the narrowest of lanes whenever it thought it was best.

These lanes are barely 6ft wide and there's no way you can do the 60 (?) you'd legally be allowed to travel on them. I ended up asking TT to plan via nearby villages to get it to stick to the B roads which, although slightly longer, had less likelihood of me being stuck in a herd of cows or facing a frustrated local in a Land Rover!

Is there a way of forcing TT to stick to 'real roads' wherever possible? I was wondering if you can specify you are in, say, a lorry that is wider than the average car. Have looked but can't find anything in the settings.

Any help for a frustrated TT user?
Calomax
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you using fastest route or shortest route. Fastest normally takes you by the better roads while shortest will use any road if it is the shortest distance.
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Calomax wrote:
Are you using fastest route or shortest route. Fastest normally takes you by the better roads while shortest will use any road if it is the shortest distance.

It should, but mine does'nt Confused
I have just been travelling around E Europe for three months and time and again I have been routed through towns with streets barely wider than my Motorhome, where, when I check with a paper map (remember those?) it was obvious that the better/fastest route would be the (say) next turning.
andy-c1
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

unfortunately I think you will find that due to lack of main roads it will always tend to take you along these roads as they maybe narrow but it still says it is the quickest ....that's using normal routing not shortest , have got family down that way and spent many days driving round using sat-nav and trying different ways to get around
maca2
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand why this is very annoying & it has caught me out on a recent holiday in Cornwall where it took me down some very tight roads indeed then into a village where the police turned me back because it was for residents only (Polpero).

At the end of the day I always think of the times that TT has taken me, without any problems, to places so out of the way it would have taken an age with a map not to mention divorce so 99% of the time it works it's just that 1% when your faced with a road 4ft wide that we remember.

I guess that if it is a official road in some parts then TT has no way of knowing how wide it really is so I guess the only way round it is to block the roads when you come across them other than that it's a small price to pay in my book for a otherwise pretty good system.
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a cure but a work-around. If you able able to look at a map before your journey and identify the roads you don't want to use, why not set up a short itinerary? (if your TT supports it). Just positioning a couple of waypoints on the "better" roads would keep you from encountering the farmer and his sheep or the hedgerows.
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
crowman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah - I guess that was how I got around it - constantly telling it to go via a nearby village that I knew had a better road.

the place I had an issue with was Dittisham which had one main route in from the west and one from the south. I found the drive better to loop around the side of the village and approach it from the south because the western route has an incredibly tight hairpin bend - at the bottom of a steep hill - over which was a tiny stone bridge.
The only passing place was the western side of the bridge, so if you met someone coming down the hill you had to reverse down the hill and navigate over this bridge backwards Shocked

Anyway, the western route was shorter and (probably) faster (assuming you didn't meet anyone) so I'm not surprised TT pointed me that way.

Just wish I could instruct it to avoid unnamed roads where possible as an option. Rolling Eyes [/url]
EricWB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There must be a version of TT for truck drivers that would address this problem or do you have to buy a Garmin?
falkirk81
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EricWB wrote:
There must be a version of TT for truck drivers that would address this problem or do you have to buy a Garmin?

Yes there is. Called 'Tomtom Work' from here http://www.tomtomwork.com/

iPhone 12

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: