Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Navman ICN750 dual boot how do i And copyright issues.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Navman ICN750 dual boot how do i And copyright issues.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rayrosher
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 8:15 pm    Post subject: Navman ICN750 dual boot how do i And copyright issues. Reply with quote

Hi All
I have just gotten a navman ICn 750 with smartst 2006 and the Navman 2005 maps for Uk roi and Europe

I must say that I got this from tesco for £79.99 and it would seem to be a bargain as the onboard camera is a plus

However question, does anyone know if this can take navman updated Maps i have asked on the Navman website and they are pretty much useless with regards to update information,

So question one is it possible to update to a better mapping software

question 2. as this system runs pocket pc would it be possible to install the Pocket Pc version of TomTom, you see I have a legit version of TomTom that I used on my Ipaq Just wondered if i could use this on the navman

Yes i know that I would have to get it unlocked However this is a 2 minute Job as i already have the unlocking software,

Question 3 would it be possible to make the system a dual boot and keep the Navman side of things as a backup /standby unit.and use the pocket pc side for my TomTom s/w the Navman as a 4 gig sd card slot.

Question 4 what are the Implacations to doing this
If I own both the navman which is effectivly a pocket pc and is running the Win Pocketpc s/w And i own the TomTom software am i breaking any copyrights...And if not how do I do the dual boot thingy. And If i am breaking copyrights, what copyrights am i breaking.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think it will be possible to use both applications on the device, but if you unlock it and get back the Win CE interface you will be able to install and activate TTN5 or 6 as applicable.

To activate the map on the Icn-750 you will need to enter the product code and device code into the www.ttcode.com web site to get your activation code for the device.

Activations can be made 7 days after the initial activation and thereafter six monthly, so as long as six months have elapsed since you last activated the application on a device then you won't have a problem.

The maps will be very out of date though using either the Navman maps of the TomTom maps, I would consider a better application with newer maps for use on todays road network - Mike
Rayrosher
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mike
Actually I bit the bullet and unlocked the navman windows ce came up straight away could find the navman s/w in the ce folders but couldnt find a way to access them, however all of the usuall CE apps where their TomTom looks like a breeze to add it just wish i could have either or as I'm not sure that the camera will work without the navman software.
As for my TomTom s/w it's only just over six months old so should be ok,
However I thought that TomTom was one of the best nav s/w out their regardless of what system it was used on. surely six months old should be young enough to have most of the latest streets on it... re Ray:)
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even at 6 months old to yourself the actual map is over two years old by now and that assuming its the v675 map that you have, any lower number than this will be indicative of an even older map, one area the v675 is very wrong is the M62/ A1 and most of the major junctions on the A1 South of the M62 are wrong.
There will be plenty of other locations that have changed over the two+ years since the map was released - Mike
Rayrosher
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mike
So is their actually any s/w out their that is bang up to date,
or is it all a pig in the poke so to speak....
If the new Iphone-s is anything to go by tomTom are supposed tp be doing maps and a GPs Holder for it, as the Iphone gps is pants, anyway looks like it could be a good thing
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are some other PPC based aplications that offer newer more upto date maps such as IGo and McGuider, both a good applications in their own way, McGuider is the closest in look/ feel and menu structure to the TT interface and its quite a bit cheaper.
Bear in mind no electronic map will ever be fully up to date as they take time to compile prior to going on sale, but the maps from TTN6 are by now very out of date which is why I don't use it any longer - Mike

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: