Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Navigon 2150 Max
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Navigon 2150 Max

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bazelk
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:35 pm    Post subject: Navigon 2150 Max Reply with quote

I have just bought the Navigon 2150 max from Halfords for a bargain price of £139 and as of yet I am more than pleased with it.

" it's worth pointing out that it includes the option to purchase 2 years map updates for only £15"

I did post a question on here prior to taking the plunge from my usual Garmin purchases as to whether I could add my own poi's (no replys) as this was going to be a deciding factor as to buy or not to buy, but couldn't resist the bargain price for such a high spec unit.

I did do a bit of searching the forum's about the poi warner prog which I believe is capable of installing the pgpsw speed camera's, but I cant work out if I can install poi categories IE tesco, asda, etc etc (downloaded from this site) and navigate to them direct from the search poi's option in the unit.

Any help/advise gratefully appreciated
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes you can. PGPSW cameras, Tesco etc need to be in asc format for POI Warner - I downloaded PGPSW, Tesco etc specifying Navman as the target format on the PGPSW download page.

You can navigate to a POI (the way it does it is to create a "saved route" to the POI which you 'load' and 'start navigation')

A (slight) cautionary note - if the description field in the POI entries, such as the address, contains commas (eg "Tesco Express, High Street, PO51 7CD") then these need to be removed before loading onto the unit; otherwise you will only load the first bit of the description up to the first comma (location info (lat/long) will be ok). I have queried this with the POI Warner people who are 'looking into it'
MikeS48
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You've done well there, Bazelk, I bought the 2150 Max as soon as V7 of POI Warner came out for it, just before Christmas, but I paid about £160 from memory, and it was extra to activate the Traffic module, plus I bought the map updates - but I still haven't managed to d/l an update yet!

I'm intrigued by BigPerk's comment about the format of the PGPSW download. I use the asc format, as stated, and copy them into the POI folder in the POI Warner program. I do this with my 2150 Max, my old 5110, which my wife uses, and Medion Navigator 4 on my O2 Orbit phone.

The POIs don't seem to work on the 2150 Max though, as soon as I re-insert the card and boot up, it imports the new POIs and converts them to .bak files. Is it supposed to do this?

In the old days I used to download the TomTom OV2 files and convert them to asc using POI Edit, but as soon as "native" asc files appeared on the site I skipped the OV2 route as it didn't seem necessary any more, and the asc files worked fine on MN4 and MN5 (needed different versions of POI Warner, of course - as does MN7).

So, BigPerk, what's all this about Navman? Is this the key to getting it to work on MN7? I must admit, I assumed that Other - ASC was the download to use, in the absence of anything specific to Navigon or POI Warner. I think we should be told...
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just struck on Navman as being an ascii download which seemed to work - I'll be interested to try Other-Native now I've found out about it Cool

Certainly on the 8110 asc files are converted to POI-Warner bak files - when you say the POIs don't work, in what way? Are you saying that the bak file on your Navigon is there but there is no data in it, or something else?
bazelk
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still none the wiser then as Bigperk, you say yes and mikeS48 you say you couldn't get them to work on the 2150Max? (has Navigon blocked some thing in the 2150 max to stop it working)

MikeS48.
How do you get on with the unit?
I was a bit unsure about moving from my trusted Garmin C510t (hacked with TTS) which I was going to replace with the Garmin 765T until I received the normal email promo's from Halfords with the offer of the Navigon 2150 max boldly displayed at £139, so went down to my local store and was surprised at the quality of the unit and what it could do (features).
Along with the fact that it had traffic and safety cameras pre installed made it a bit less of a gamble,"not forgetting the 2 year map update offer for only £15".
I have to say that having used it for about a week now the way it presents/displays/announces the route is far Superior than the Garmin.

But getting back on topic you would think that in this day and age Navigon who claim to be the 4th largest in the sat nav world would have there own poi loader like the market leaders (Tom Tom, Garmin).

So could anybody enlighten me further, like does poi warner display icons on the map, doe's it create a list of your installed poi's like Garmin,s do so I can scroll through then navigate to, any help/info appreciated.

Confused
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your specific questions about POI-Warner:

- unfortunately it does not show the POIs actually placed on the map (as it apparently does in earlier versions); they say this is because Navigon have not released details of the interface they would need. What they do is to show a distance display on the side of the screen with the icon of the POI shown, and a countdown of the approach. I find this is quite effective for the PGPSW cameras, but no use for seeing what pubs, garages, etc there are 'in the area'. However,

- POI-Warner does allow you to ask what POIs of a particular category there are within a specified number of miles of a location and gives you a list, by distance, where you can choose one to navigate to. (It will show you the complete list, if you want it).

More generally, you can load in any 3rd party POIs which you specify in asc format, so (just for example) all the PGPSW cameras and other POIs, as well as those from MaFt from this site after converting from Garmin format, POIHandler POIs if you like them, and I have loaded the CAMRA pub guide list.

Be glad to answer any other questions you may have on POI-Warner (where I can!). You can also get a rough idea of the facilities by doing the 'quick tour' on their website. And if this link works
Quote:
http://www.navigating.de/cms/index.php?id=5127
you can see some detail of how to use the Warner (it's not a wonderful user guide, it has to be said).

But, although not one to defend Navigon to the hilt Rolling Eyes , I would say that their own POI lists are actually quite comprehensive so, frustrating though this POI business is, you are definitely not left completely "in the dark".
ready-brek
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought one of these online from Halfords a couple of weeks ago. Apart from the fact that they failed to deliver within 4 working days as promised (delivery driver made error programming his satnav!) , I'm really pleased with it.

However, I've been searching long and hard for the £15 map updates mentioned above, can't find it and there was no option at the time of purchase.

Can anyone enlighten me?

Cheers
Mike!
MikeS48
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ready-brek wrote:
I bought one of these online from Halfords a couple of weeks ago. Apart from the fact that they failed to deliver within 4 working days as promised (delivery driver made error programming his satnav!) , I'm really pleased with it.

However, I've been searching long and hard for the £15 map updates mentioned above, can't find it and there was no option at the time of purchase.

Can anyone enlighten me?

Cheers
Mike!

When I bought mine from Amazon, I think it was, there was a little booklet in the box called Freshmaps - Buy now and save 80%.

You had to download Navigon Fresh to your PC, register yourself and your device, input the discount code that was in the booklet, and away you go!

Was there a booklet in the box? Was the box sealed? Any mention in Halford's literature/advert? If there was, you should be able to get it - but you have to activate it within 30 days of purchase.

Good luck!
ready-brek
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I reckon I get the muppet award there, lobbed the box and presumably voucher code soon after I bought the device!

But all is well, got onto Halfords who were no help whatsoever, so phoned Navigon Customer support line. I'm impressed - got to speak to a very helpful gentleman within a minute or so, he checked my registation details and gave me a new voucher code. I've just purchased online.

Hats off to Navigon Customer Services on this occasion and thanks for your help in putting me in the right direction!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: