Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - No route to Nottingham
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

No route to Nottingham
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
layingback
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

emjaiuk wrote:
It doesn't happen on all private roads, but I've never worked out why some work and others don't.

Private roads are not driven/verified, so no navigation - most of the time. But some private roads do get driven, either because they were not private at the time, or the verifier thought they were public because they were not marked as such or they missed the sign, and it all got entered before a mapper realised and marked it private.
Trevor1234
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi 1304
My Tomtom takes me from Milton Keynes to Longwall Avenue with no problem. It routes me up Queens Drive and left onto Crossgate Drive and then Right onto Longwall Avenue. Nothing blocked at all. I must point out that I have never used Map Sharing and my Tomtom used the original map. Its just a thought, but maybe one of the Map Sharers may have blocked the route.

I have never actually driven to Longwall Avenue but using the Route Demo all seems quite ok.
GPS World Traffic cameras
Home 2.7
iPhone 3G
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I have sorted it, I zoomed in on the juntion of Queens Drive and Gateside Road and found that they actually never touched. Someone had put some sort of block in the map, so I went onto map corrections opened the road both ways and bingo problem solved. So if the stories I hear of TT are correct everybody else will enjoy the benifit sometime next year.

Thanks to everybody who contributed to this post.
Trevor1234
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi 1304
Map Share was a wonderful idea in theory but in practice it is open to all kinds of cock-ups. I, like many others leave it well alone. In fact I, like many others leave ‘Home’ well alone too. I only use ‘Home’ for downloading maps when need be.
GPS World Traffic cameras
Home 2.7
iPhone 3G
Blitzer
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:30 pm    Post subject: Re: No route to Nottingham Reply with quote

1304 wrote:
Hi, Can anyone explain why my 520 cannot find Nottingham!. I had a delivery today for a street in Nottingham, no problem input address, "No route found" ok then input "Nottingham" no route found. How can that be,it's a major town, what can be the problem. I hope it's not another 8.301 fault.

Hi,

I found there is a bug with the TT software that effectively makes the use of the "city centre" for selecting a point to navigate to as being pretty much useless. Although the bug I found (and reported to TT) was related to using "city centre" to set a waypoint it seems trying to create a route to Nottingham in the same way also causes problems. I just tried to create a route in this way and like yourself I got the "No Route" problem.

I got around this problem by manually selecting a point on the map in Nottingham and got the route to navigate there with no problems. Personally if I were you I would log this issue with TT.
HTH.
Matt865
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This still happens with the new 825 maps, although there don't appear to be quite as many dodgy closed and inaccessible roads on this version.
coachdriver11
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 1:28 am    Post subject: Nottingham "No Route Found" Reply with quote

I have had this problem on a tt one as well as a tt920. I find that it is a problem with the map corrections application. If you use tom tom home to remove the map corrections, i find that the TT can find Nottingham as soon as you update map corrections the problem reappears. Update TT an TT home and untick the map corrections box and all should be ok. I have emailed TT about this problem and all they said was that thay are trying to sort it out. Glad to see that it is not just me with the problem, however there shouldn't have been a problem in the first place
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 2:43 am    Post subject: Re: Nottingham "No Route Found" Reply with quote

coachdriver11 wrote:
however there shouldn't have been a problem in the first place

So far as I can tell, the situation is this:
1. There is a FIXED point on the map set as the City Centre.
2. The roads surrounding that point were originally navigable.
3. Those roads are now pedestrianised.
4. Mapshare corrections now correctly make those roads un-navigable.

So the ONLY thing that can be done is to move the defined city centre position, and that can only be done in a completely new map version.

As the position wasn't moved in the recent map update to v825, that's a valid complaint, but I don't see how you can say it should never have happened in the first place, what more could they do on the existing map?
coachdriver11
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Point Taken. Smile

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: