Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Nuvi 300 update
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Nuvi 300 update

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Diabalo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 7:21 pm    Post subject: Nuvi 300 update Reply with quote

Need help

I bought a Garmin Nuvi 300 GPS with Uk Maps only and added Europe on a plug and play SD card last year.

Plugged the SD card in and the mapping was fine

Now does it go from the data card onto the GPS and then you can run without the SD card? as I never took the card out.

If so am I right in assuming that any subsequent updates would do the unit.

The reason I am asking is, I have just updated it via Garmins website, the site said updates where available for the Europe NTV9maps so I paid and downloaded the necessary, but when I followed the onscreen instruction from the PC it said it was updating UK and ireland nothing about Europe.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi and welcome.

According to this thread the trick is to run the update and watch out for the option to install the European Maps at one stage. It's probably assumes as you had UK maps you want the same again, but their should be an option to select European Maps.

Quote:
I checked & the update I was trying to start was in the folder full of the extracted files. I searched around and found the origional exe file I had downloaded from Garmin. When I double clicked on that the installer started up again so I put in the unlock code. This time when the program ran, I checked every stage of the install and found the point where you can pick the area you want to install. I then chose the European Maps & they ware installed with no problems.

Another members then confirms the same worked for them too...

However if the European Maps are on an SD Card you probably won't be able to do this unless the card is big enough for the European maps. I'm guessing it'll need to be 2 Gb or bigger.
Diabalo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks, I will run it again and see what happens.
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 3:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Nuvi 300 update Reply with quote

Diabalo wrote:

Now does it go from the data card onto the GPS and then you can run without the SD card? as I never took the card out.

If so am I right in assuming that any subsequent updates would do the unit.

The reason I am asking is, I have just updated it via Garmins website, the site said updates where available for the Europe NTV9maps so I paid and downloaded the necessary, but when I followed the onscreen instruction from the PC it said it was updating UK and ireland nothing about Europe.

No - the mapping stays on the SD card as there won't neccessarily be sufficient storage on the 300 to hold the whole of Europe.

The 'best' (i.e. simplest) way to acheive what you want is to purchase the upgrade on DVD. This gives you access to the whole of Europe and you should be able to install this onto an SD card without any problems. The cost is only marginally more expensive and you get the flexibility to load either the whole of Europe - or selected areas as and when you need them.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assumed that Diabalo has an update DVD and that if the SD Card held the previous version of Europe Maps that it would be big enough to hold the newer maps.... Embarassed
Diabalo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulB2005 wrote:
I assumed that Diabalo has an update DVD and that if the SD Card held the previous version of Europe Maps that it would be big enough to hold the newer maps.... Embarassed

Ok guys sorry if I am a bit daft lets start again

Without the SD card in, the unit map info has

A tick in a box then Europe NT 2009.11 then under that

[1] UK & Ireland

Does this mean the Europe mapping is on the unit and it is the latest version? and that any updates will do the unit and I don't have to worry about the SD card at all.

This is what the Garmin site says is on the unit

Maps installed on this device:
Unlk/Reg Sheet,CNE NT 2009.10
Region: City Navigator Europe NT 2009.10, Deluxe All Regions, Jan 09
Code: XXXXX
Unlock Code: XXXXX
Date Unlocked: February 1, 2009

City Navigator Europe NT v 9 - Region 7 (UK/Ire)
Region: City Navigator Europe NT v9 - Region 7 (UK/Ire), Sept 06
Code: XXXXX
Unlock Code: XXXXX
Date Unlocked: May 18, 2007

Edited by philpugh to remove product and unlock codes
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK!

I removed the product and unlock codes as they don't really add anything and I don't think these sort of things should be displayed!

What it looks like is that without the SD card you have the latest mapping for UK & Ireland on your unit.

It previously had the V9 UK & Ire mapping installed.

Your NT2009 unlock code will allow you to install any mapping from the European mapping DVD (assuming you have one) onto your unit. To do this you will need an SD card as the 300 will not have much spare memory on it. To do this you will need to run MapSource (should be on the DVD), select the area you want and move it to the SD card.

The quickest way to do this is to take a blank SD card, Create a top level folder called Garmin and use a card reader. It's much faster doing this.

Mapsource will recognise the SD card as a GARMIN unit and allow you to move the selected areas (or whole of Europe).
Diabalo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks Phil for removing the identifying data.

I understand what you are saying and I can do that from the DVD, but my DVD is a couple of years old, I paid for an update which downloaded to my PC would that have updated just the PC map, as you say the unit will not have spare capacity.I had the unit plugged in and on the Garmin website I just followed the instruction so not sure if the unit was updated, just the PC mapping or both.

maybe I am not explaining it properly.

I have a call logged with Garmin but as of yet no reply.
Diabalo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All sorted now, bought a card reader and transfered onto SD card and all working as it should.

Many thanks for the patience and help it's much appreciated.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: