Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - 530 Travel Via - Not Working?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

530 Travel Via - Not Working?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whether it is a "bug" or an unwanted "feature" is really down to semantics.

Normally, we think of a "bug" as something that has appeared in a recent software update and is (hopefully!) something that can be removed again.

This issue, however, has been with the TomTom range from "day one", as far as I'm aware.
Blitzer
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

As I said I had e-mailed TomTom to report this fault and today received the following reply...

Quote:
This error has been reported before however our development team has decided not to fix it as city centers are often located in parts of the map the map that canot be driven to such as closed off city centres which do not allow card traffic.

As such you cannot use a city center as a waypoint in an itinerary and must plot a street address in lieu of the City Center option.

To be honest I'm not too surprised at the response from TT having read other comments about their support on this site. To be fair they did reply very quickly. I find it rather poor form though to leave such a bug in the software given they must have updated a number of times, particularly when you can actually set and navigate to a waypoint set using the "city centre" option if you use "shortest route".

A note to TomTom: Before you continue adding new features to software, it best to also rectify any existing problems that have been detected. The TomTom hardware has a great following and for the most part delivers a good package. Fix the niggling problems though, make something good, great!
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blitzer wrote:

To be honest I'm not too surprised at the response from TT having read other comments about their support on this site.

Actually, that is an amazingly open and up-front answer for TomTom....
To actually admit it is a fault is rare; usually they just fudge it or answer a completely different question!
Blitzer
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have replied to their response as although I understand their point, it still begs the question what purpose does the "city centre" function have?

Their reply also fails to acknowledge that you can use the city centre option to set a waypoint AND have the TT navigate to that point providing you select the "shortest route" option. Basically this blows a dirty great hole in their argument IMO. Sadly it is these smaller niggles with gadgets like sat nav that can often reduce their usefulness and make them less user friendly. Much better to listen to you customer base and rectify problems as well as developing new features. The two really should go hand in hand. Sad
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blitzer wrote:
A note to TomTom: Before you continue adding new features to software, it best to also rectify any existing problems that have been detected. The TomTom hardware has a great following and for the most part delivers a good package. Fix the niggling problems though, make something good, great!
Hey, you've just invented spitting against the wind!

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Blitzer
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
Hey, you've just invented spitting against the wind!

Laughing Out Loud!

He of little faith! Wink

As it happens I have since received another reply back from TT, following my reply to their initial response...

Quote:
Could you please give me the exact addresses of the Itinerary that you planned I would like to reproduce it and submit an error report please.

So at least the problem is being reported their end which is certainly better than the initial response I received.

I have to say that so far I've not found TT support to be too bad, they are at least listening and replying quickly. Certainly a lot better than some companies I've dealt with. Hopefully, the issue itself will be looked into in which case I think I'd be well pleased! I won't hold my breath though - just in case. Laughing Out Loud. Laughing
Blitzer
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello all,

I thought you might be interested to hear the latest news/response I have received from TT concerning the software bug I reported to them relating to the use of "City Centre" for navigation...

Quote:
We have verified the error and have forwarded the case to our development team. This is not related to the city centre issue I mentioned previously so it will be treated as a new issue and fixed in a future application update.

Thank you again for reporting the error.

With Best Regards

The TomTom Customer Support Team

So fingers crossed that the issue is addressed and rectified in the next software update.

I have to say that so far I found TT support to be helpful and quick to respond to my continued contact with them regarding this issue.

Thank you TomTom! Wink
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please bookmark this so that you can come back and report the outcome at some time in the future - it'll then join the list wherein reside the loaves and fishes and burning bush (not George dublya!). Very Happy

dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
Please bookmark this so that you can come back and report the outcome at some time in the future - it'll then join the list wherein reside the loaves and fishes and burning bush (not George dublya!). Very Happy

You forgot the pitcher of milk, didn't you? And, of course, when Charleton Heston parted the Red Sea, that one is sure on my list. Cool
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What the heck time is it in Canada David? Shouldn't you still be in bed?

dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was before 7:00 am my time and yes, I should have still been asleep. You know that. I know that. Unfortunately, my cat, Brutus either didn't know that or, as with most cats, knew that but didn't care! Razz
Blitzer
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:

Well no outcome as such as yet, but I did enquire to try and get some idea of when a fix may come and got the following reply...

Quote:
Unfortunately, there is no real time frame for the application fix, as the developers here are quite secretive when it comes to release dates etc. It is a similar process to windows and their service pack updates etc. Best guess could be within the next half a year, but I cannot promise on their behalf.

Many thanks for your feedback, as its important that these problems are fixed.

Not an ideal answer I know because I guess I was pretty much asking how long is a piece of string. Still it's a move in the right direction IMO. Smile
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blitzer wrote:

Quote:
[color=indigo]... the developers here are quite secretive when it comes to release dates etc.

I think that's quite a telling comment!
Seems Customer Services feel just as bad about being kept in the dark as the rest of us? Laughing

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: