Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Upgrading from Road Angel Navigator
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Upgrading from Road Angel Navigator

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
techguyone
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:16 pm    Post subject: Upgrading from Road Angel Navigator Reply with quote

Hi new here

I currently have a Road Angel Navigator original, because at the time '05 I didn't want to have two seperate boxes.
Well now the time has come to retire the RAN and look for something else.

The worlds moved on a bit since those days and I'd appreciate a bit of help.

I do have a list of requirements to help narrow down the field.

1. Powered mount. I was most interested in a tom tom go 530 til I saw that you have to mount the cable into the device every time you put it in your car. I want to plug the device into the mount, and it's powered, no fuss.

2. I really valued the Road Angel side of the navigator, with its 'in your face, no confusion' camera warnings. Which other devices will do more than show a tiny icon on the screen depicting a camera? maybe the screen flashes red or something. I do need good speed camera side warnings.

3. Mapping thats kept up to date. My biggest gripe with the RAN was that the frigging maps NEVER got updated, and in three years, roads do change a bit...

4. Traffic info would be nice, as would bluetooth connectivity, but its not a must have.

5. Decent re-direction facilities would be nice as well.

With the above, can someone recommned an option or two, I'm not fussy in the slightest if its a tom tom, Garmin, magellan or whatever.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 7:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Upgrading from Road Angel Navigator Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum

I will try and answer these questions looking at the TomTom range, others might want to chirp in with similar thoughts from their experiences with the Garmin and other devices.

techguyone wrote:
I currently have a Road Angel Navigator original, because at the time '05 I didn't want to have two separate boxes.

The basic Sat Nav units have moved on quite some way in the past three years, Speed Camera warnings being one of the major advantages.

techguyone wrote:
1. Powered mount. I was most interested in a tom tom go 530 til I saw that you have to mount the cable into the device every time you put it in your car. I want to plug the device into the mount, and it's powered, no fuss..
The TomTom Go-x10 range was the last device to be supplied with a true powered mount, the soon to be released x40 range will also employ a powered mount.
You can purchase third party mounts from Brodit and others that offer a quick release powered solution for most of the TomTom range including the Go-x20 and Go-x30 range of units, so it is possible with accessories to do what you want.

techguyone wrote:
2. I really valued the Road Angel side of the navigator, with its 'in your face, no confusion' camera warnings. Which other devices will do more than show a tiny icon on the screen depicting a camera? maybe the screen flashes red or something. I do need good speed camera side warnings..

Adding the excellent Speed Camera database to any TomTom device which is available from this site will alert you to mobile camera locations as well as fixed cameras, Specs and red lights, couple this with the add on voice packs the device won't just flash a simple warning in the corner of the screen, but it can actually announce "Warning GATSO ahead, speed limit is XX miles per hour" (other camera types are also identified by spoken instruction when using the add on voice packs)

techguyone wrote:
3. Mapping that’s kept up to date. My biggest gripe with the RAN was that the frigging maps NEVER got updated, and in three years, roads do change a bit....

With the newly introduced map update scheme for a relatively low cost you can update your map every three months, in addition to this is the Map Share scheme which offers the ability to download map alterations on a frequent basis that other users have made, or simply alter your own map when you find it incorrect.

techguyone wrote:
4. Traffic info would be nice, as would Bluetooth connectivity, but its not a must have.
The Go range all offer Bluetooth connectivity for Hands free and GPRS data such as traffic information, or you can purchase the RDS-Traffic receiver to obtain free traffic related information once plugged in to the device (note relative to the active mount question, it is possible to purchase powered mounts for the x20/ x30 range that also carry the RDS-TMC connection in addition to the power)

techguyone wrote:
5. Decent re-direction facilities would be nice as well.
Is this in the event of a traffic incident or something else? - The TomTom can offer the re-route automatically or by manual intervention in the event of traffic related hold ups en-route, the choice is yours, due to poor information quality I tend to use the manual re-route when the information displayed on the TomTom coincides with the radio and/ or gantry signs on the motorway - Mike
techguyone
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mike thats really helpful.

I did view the TT go range with some enthusiasm.

Is there any information on the x40 range or a url, if its due to happen soonish thats fine, I can hold off a new purchase a while.

You mentioned using 3rd party solutions to get round the non powered mount, again is there a url for these.

The traffic info, yea thats got me more baffled than anythng. I can certainly see the benefits of these, I even downloaded the user manuals, but I can see 3 different types of traffic notification, and I'm not really any the wiser as to whats best for the UK.

Garmin, looks interesting too, although I've yet to really do any proper research on this make, as I stuck initially with the new RAN (9000) until I saw the sat nav side was not too good, and then the Tom Tom range only.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

techguyone wrote:
Is there any information on the x40 range or a url, if its due to happen soonish thats fine, I can hold off a new purchase a while.

Our x40 coverage is here.
Quote:
You mentioned using 3rd party solutions to get round the non powered mount, again is there a url for these.

See here for my favourite.
Quote:
The traffic info, yea thats got me more baffled than anythng. I can certainly see the benefits of these, I even downloaded the user manuals, but I can see 3 different types of traffic notification, and I'm not really any the wiser as to whats best for the UK.

Three types? There are currently two providers, iTIS and RAC-TrafficMaster. The data quality for both is variable. And two delivery mechanisms, the most common being RDS-TMC (via an FM Transmission). TomTom also offer a service over GPRS via your data connected mobile but this is on subscription.

And the x40's will add HD Traffic via their built-in GSM radio. This is hoped to be very much better quality as it garners data from many sources inc other users and mobile phone signal data, complex but technically very clever!
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would just add that many GARMIN nuvi sat navs have always had a powered mount - i.e. you can just plug/unplug the unit into/from the mount without having to touch any cables.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: