Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - adding other road safety POI's
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

adding other road safety POI's

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Points Of Interest (POIs)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Damo2929
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 3:56 pm    Post subject: adding other road safety POI's Reply with quote

I was wondering if any members of the site are like me and intrested in other road safety POI's such as

Level Crossings.
Poor Road Layouts.
Accidents Blackspots.
Dangerous Bends.
Blind Summit.
Ford.

if other members are intrested could we see if we could get a movment together to see if we can build these and possibly add them into the subsciption services as these start to grow.
Daggers
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fords are already available as a POI download from this site. I don't kow how accurate they are, but there are 1617 of them available Go to the POI page and look under Landmarks.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is nothing to stop you submitting these for inclusion as a new POI groups in our free POIs database?
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I was wondering if any members of the site are like me and intrested in other road safety POI's such as

Level Crossings.
Poor Road Layouts.
Accidents Blackspots.
Dangerous Bends.
Blind Summit.
Ford.

Is it me or am I missing something. All the above are well signposted and shouldn't cause a problem to experienced motorists, or new drivers driving within the capabilities and watching the road ahead.

Level crossings. Don't cross until the car in front has cleared the crossing and there's sufficient room to cross over safely.

Poor road layouts. Who's to say the road layout is poor. To one person it may appear bad, to another there's no problem.

Accident blackspots are well marked as such or camera signs indicate there have been a number of accidents over a certain time scale i.e a blackspot.

Dangerous bends. Which is more dangerous, driving round a really tight bend at 15-20 mph or driving round a gentle one at 70 mph? (Actually both).

Blind summits?

Ford? Volvo drivers are the worst followed by 4 wheel drive vehicles. Razz

Personally I find no need for them, never had a problem with any of the sites mentioned.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the end of the day the POI files a user loads to his/ her unit will only be the files they consider they need most, I don't bother McDonalds, BurgerKing, KFC etc because I don't eat junk food (very often) but that doesn't mean others won't find the files useful.

How many times have we heard of the Nav unit being blamed for someone driving down a railway track - at least twice in the last 12 months as far as I can remember. If such a POI were produced and it saved only one accident then it has been well worth while IMHO - not all drivers need such files but there are some that might feel happy with them on the device.
Some nav packages even warn when crossing railways by default, McGuider running on PPC does this for example.

I have got a file on the PC that contains the level crossings in Lancashire and Greater Manchester, when I find it I will send it in, I think I started it after the last train crash where someone drove incorrectly on the track from a level crossing, but it takes ages gathering all the data.

Oh and I don't hog the middle lane or slow others down even though I do drive an Ovlov Wink I agree with you about Fords though (the wife drives one) - Mike
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
not all drivers need such files but there are some that might feel happy with them on the device.
A month or so ago I was sitting in a Little Chef off the A303 when two blokes came in, very loud, and one was letting 'everyone' know he had a sat nav. His mate asked if they were any good and he said 'Yes, especially in fog as you can see where you're going'. Rolling Eyes

It's only my personal view but I still cant see the point, same with my recently purchased iGO8 with 3D buildings. Why? Although 3D terrain is quite good, as with a quick glance you can clearly see when there's a sharp bend disappearing over a 'blind summit' or a black and white 'dotted' line showing railway tracks. (Even in fog I guess). Smile

My worry is, unlike garages, McBlockedArteries etc., where you would only need to glance at the screen as you near them, people may start relying on those mentioned by Damo2929 and spend too much time looking at the device screen instead of the windscreen.

Quote:
I do drive an Ovlov

New POI needed. Drivers in Volvo's driving in reverse. Razz
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lost_Property wrote:
....especially in fog as you can see where you're going'

That's a brilliant quote! Joker Driving
Damo2929
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

My worry is, unlike garages, McBlockedArteries etc., where you would only need to glance at the screen as you near them, people may start relying on those mentioned by Damo2929 and spend too much time looking at the device screen instead of the windscreen.

I don't think al be looking at the screen because al be putting a voice warning on it so it tells me there are without looking at the screen. because we all know signs are very hit and miss across the county some counties having better signs than others.

mikealder I would be intrested in the information you have so it could be combined with mine from the south yorkshire, derbyshire & north notts areas.

I may also contact network rail for a full list of them across the country.

mikealder I agree with you if these can be used to avoid accidents then thats a good thing, even though my plan was to have notification for suddent slowing or stopping traffic. as there is nothing worse than sat in traffic not knowing why because the dotted line is not always leading to a crossing.

am currently using the dangerous bend, no left and right turns from poihandler but find there GPS accuracy lacking as in there within 1000 yards but not at there sources. but if people are not intresting in them, then the poihandler ones will have to do.

I would be nice if insurance companies would publish there top 5000 blackspots as they are the ones most likley to have this infomation and would help reduce claims if this infomation was avalible.
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I don't think al be looking at the screen because al be putting a voice warning on it so it tells me there are without looking at the screen.

I wasn't actually pointing the finger at you personally. I did say 'some people'.

Quote:
because we all know signs are very hit and miss across the county some counties having better signs than others.

I feel there are TOO many signs.

Quote:
I may also contact network rail for a full list of them across the country.

There is a loose leaf book used by railway staff, can't remember it's name at the moment, regularly updated, showing every crosssing, set of points, signals etc but to my knowledge this has never been extracted into useful information for the public.

Quote:
even though my plan was to have notification for suddent slowing or stopping traffic. as there is nothing worse than sat in traffic not knowing why because the dotted line is not always leading to a crossing.

How would you get round the 'sudden slowing or stopping traffic' on the M25 for example? How many times has traffic slowed quite quickly and sometimes comes to a halt, then crawl, and when it gets going again you can see no reason for it? I would't mind a £ for every time it's happened to me in the past 49 years.

Maybe it's not taught any more but 'keep your distance and read the road ahead', 'stay within the speed limits unless prevailing conditions indicate a slower speed would be more appropriate'.
AlandEi
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
How would you get round the 'sudden slowing or stopping traffic' on the M25 for example? How many times has traffic slowed quite quickly and sometimes comes to a halt, then crawl, and when it gets going again you can see no reason for it? I would't mind a £ for every time it's happened to me in the past 49 years.

Didn't think the M25 had been built that long L_P... Very Happy ... seriously, there was an interesting programme on TV the other week that discussed the "ripple effect"... traffic in front suddenly slows on a busy but clear road for no apparent reason, and quarter of a mile back it actually has to stop... then traffic in front speeds up and folks who had to stop wonder what the hold up was.

Narrow roads POI's would be useful for my motorhome, but as I usually have the time to plan routes with the itinerary feature, not so much of a problem unless I divert.

Alan.
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Razz
Quote:
Didn't think the M25 had been built that long L_P...
I remember using the Dartford Tunnel back in 1964, cost 2/6d. Oh hang on, it's the A282.

Quote:
Narrow roads POI's would be useful for my motorhome, but as I usually have the time to plan routes with the itinerary feature, not so much of a problem unless I divert.
I won't mention iGO software with it's lorry mode, which round my way appears to avoid narrow country lanes if possible, and being able to block multiple roads permanently or long/short term. But I won't mention iGO software. Very Happy

Hold on, I'm confused, how many places are there which have narrower roads than in parts of North Wales? Confused

I'm sure there's a link to some Lorry POI's on this site, not sure if it includes narrow roads but worth a look. Someone else here may know for sure.
AlandEi
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I remember using the Dartford Tunnel back in 1964, cost 2/6d. Oh hang on, it's the A282.

Ditto the Runcorn/Widnes Transporter early 1960's... 1/- for cars, 3d for foot passengers If I remember correctly... Very Happy ... we are giving ages away now...

Quote:
Hold on, I'm confused, how many places are there which have narrower roads than in parts of North Wales?

Yes, but I know where they are... Very Happy Very Happy ... actually... just after I bought my sat nav a few weeks ago, hadn't updated the maps yet, and the centre of Matlock,... new road layout... did not exist, and it directed me up a VERY narrow track, back towards Chesterfield.............

Quote:
I'm sure there's a link to some Lorry POI's on this site, not sure if it includes narrow roads but worth a look. Someone else here may know for sure.

I have links mate, thank you... the only one who seems to do narrow roads is a subscription service, about £50-00 per annum I think, It would be good value if I were driving for a living.

Alan.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damo2929 wrote:
mikealder I would be intrested in the information you have so it could be combined with mine from the south yorkshire, derbyshire & north notts areas.

I will send you the data I have by e-mail when I get home to the PC, if you do get anywhere by contacting the rail industry and need some help sorting out the data (assuming it is in a usable format) just shout as we have a variaty of tool sets available for coordinate conversion - Mike

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Points Of Interest (POIs) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: