Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - How do I activate & register a pre-programmed data card
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

How do I activate & register a pre-programmed data card

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mrzipy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 2:20 pm    Post subject: How do I activate & register a pre-programmed data card Reply with quote

I am new to Garmin, from TomTom

Anyway I purchased an NT map on a pre-programmed data card.

Questions I have, which are not answered on Garmins site.

1. Do I need to activate this card, or does it just work?
2. Where is the map serial number so I can register it?

Sorry if these are silly questions.

Thanks.
mrzipy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No-one here ever purchased a preprogrammed data card?
PhilHornby
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 8:06 pm    Post subject: Re: How do I activate & register a pre-programmed data c Reply with quote

mrzipy wrote:
No-one here ever purchased a preprogrammed data card?

Not me - but I won't let a lack of knowledge stop me answering your questions Very Happy

mrzipy wrote:

1. Do I need to activate this card, or does it just work?

AIUI, it should just work. Doesn't it?

Quote:
2. Where is the map serial number so I can register it?

The map doesn't have a serial number. I'm not sure there's any point registering it (even if Garmin's website will let you). I don't think you can officially upgrade an SD card product in the future (even though technically it might be possible). That would be about the only advantage in registering.

I reckon your card contains two files: GMAPSUPP.IMG and GMAPSUPP.UNL. Is this correct?

The GMAPSUPP.IMG will contain exactly the same contents as a GMAPPROM.IMG on a unit that came with the same map pre-installed. GMAPSUPP.UNL will contain the unlock code for the device that the maps are licenced to. In the case of a pre-programmed card, this is the Serial Number of the SD card. (Garmin don't use any of the fancier SD features, just the serial number). You can see the Serial Number of the card, in the SD card diagnostics page. You could try sticking that number in the Garmin website and see what sort of error message you get Confused

If this SD card is a later version of a pre-installed map, you probably want to disable the earlier version. Go to 'tools' | Map | Map Info (exact location varies by device) - and un-tick the earlier one.
mrzipy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply, didn't think anyone was alive in the forum!

It does appear to just work, I used the simulator mode and set my location to a place in the US (I am in UK) and simulated a route, I'm used to TomTom where you can to an A-B route to test.

I asked about a serial as the Garmin site allows you to register your maps from a pre-programmed data card - thought i was missing a serial.

"Preprogrammed Data Card Serial Number
(Example MUS001R) "

Could not find anything to do with SD card on diagnostics screens.

Thanks though.
nubi
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 4:58 pm    Post subject: You don't need to enter that "serial number" Reply with quote

You can leave it blank. I think it is there in case the product you are registering is a map that is not listed in the menu above; in that case, you can type in the "M" number. It's more like a model number than a serial number.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: