Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Want europe so should I get one XL or Go 730
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Want europe so should I get one XL or Go 730
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
maca2
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say the 730T screen is not as good & bright as the Garmin 760T I got rid of to get my Go 730 but I have no problem seeing it & now I have a case that also is a sun shield I never have a problem with the screen at all.

I can hear the text to speech clearly & this is 100% better than the Garmin 760 which had rubbish TTS IMO.

Like I said you need to take it back & swap it for a Garmin because yours is clearly faulty so the shop will let you swap it or refund you.

I hope you have better luck with the Garmin which you will be able to see but soon become tired of the poor phone connection TTS & lack of menu configurations.

I guess it's best to read reviews before purchase but I think the two gripes you have with this great unit are not grounds to call it "Duff" & yours does sound faulty to me. The Garmin 760T is what you want, it is a fine unit but not near as good as the 730T & the duller screen is a small price to pay for it's endless configurability & clear TTS/phone connection.
mabsey
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Out Loud, I guess tom tom users are a bit sensitive here seeing as you want to get rid of me back to Garmin just because I point out a couple of faults with a unit. And yeah go onto Amazon and look at the user reviews and everyone complains the same.

The comments I have made have basically said my Nuvi 360 had a better screen and text to speech than the Tom Tom 730 that I just purchased, it dont mean I want to go out and buy a nuvi again. Overall the tom tom has some nice features, I'm just pointing out that for a top of the range unit, you would have thought tom tom would have done a bit better. I cant believe these things are not road tested and someone didnt sit in a car and think, hmmm this screen is hard to read. Its about quality testing a unit, and I dont feel like a lot of effort went into quality checking the screen of the 730 nor the muffled prounce of the roads.

Mabsey
john877
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tomtom and Garmin are both very good sat navs !!some people prefer Garmin and some Tomtom they both have there faults
Perhaps you have the sat nav positioned badly in the car to get the glare of the sun on the sat nav screen
I use a brodit mount and and in my opinion is unbeatable

And hello ben_e71 have you still got the Toyota ??? Smile
mabsey
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry, this is nearly one of the latest models, and I shouldn't have to position it in 1 spot for a best quality screen. This is my gripe, the 730 just dont seem to have been road tested in real life use. Anywhere I position it so its at arm's length will get sun hitting it at some point and you just cant see the map very well at all. And I dont see why I should have to buy a new mount or a accessory to block out the sun, for what is a poorly designed screen that simply is not up to the job in bright sunlight. It's embarrasing that a 14 month old out dated Garmin has a better screen than the latest tom tom model. All the new features in the world are fantastic if you can see them.

As I said, I'm not alone on this. My whole point is not whether I should go and buy a Garmin, my point is you dont spend nearly £300 on a top of the range model and then find out it has a sub standard screen, this should have been tested and I think this is poor from Tom Tom.

Mabsey
ben_e71
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

john877 wrote:

Hi - sorry you have the advantage of me there I have a terrible memory
john877
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ben_e71 wrote:
john877 wrote:

Hi - sorry you have the advantage of me there I have a terrible memory

There is a ben-e71 on the Toyota owners site and comes from east Sussex just putting 2+2 together and making 5 as usual !! sorry about that !! it is an unusual user name and made the wrong assumption Embarassed
ben_e71
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nope that is me - I'm lots of places..... note to self use different user names.....

still got the verso really pleased with it. No longer have the Aygo.
uffe73
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mabsey, do you happen to drive a convertible? That could explain the screen glare problems you're experiencing. I've been using my 720 for nearly a year (in a non-convertible) with a Brodit mount and I very rarely have problems with glaring. The Brodit mount is the trick!
eddieTM
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 7:54 pm    Post subject: TomTom Go 730T Reply with quote

Mabsey,
The ONLY problem I did not have was with seeing the screen, however I do agree sometimes it took its time diming/brightening to make it clear.

Since June I have had 2 Go 730T's both started randomly reseting while navigating, or getting stuck in an audio loop during phone calls.

TTHome is the cause of some of the problems the x20/x30 models as while my second one was waiting for tomtom to activate my account for the new device it worked without problems (sort of) as soon as I started getting updates from TThome it all went pear shaped.
*** WARNING for anyone looking at the X40 range***

This is not the end of it though when the second 730 started crashing - to cut a very long story short I found that it was the Traffic Module that was causing most of the crashes.

TomTom themselves have not been helpful in fact I am even stuck in a loop with them after a dozen or so posts entitled - Crashing/Reseting TT Go 730 - the last post from them asked what model Tomtom I had. Either they are brain dead or they think we are.

TT Go 730 returned - money back - Sale of goods act 1994
mabsey
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eddieTM,

You are right about the traffic module. On a number of occasions after plugging it in, the little traffic icon starts doing its stuff to download the latest traffic, then there is a worrying pause and crash, unit resets.

I've also noticed it doing the same thing now connecting via bluetooth and cut outs in the middle of calls. And as for getting the wireless data working for a Nokia N95 thats another story. Nokia's latest firmware, ver 30, breaks the N95 and Tom tom compatibility. I was on old firmware and got a connection before and now nothing.

Mabsey

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: