Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TT in USA
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TT in USA
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gatorguy6996
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dolphins?!!!!

You really haven't been here long have you. Laughing Out Loud!
mrfreeze
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been here 2 years this November.

But i have supported, followed and attended the Phins since middle 80's.

You have to support them through thick and thin.

Yes its been a lot of thin recently, in particular 1-15, (by the way i was at the 1 Ravens game)

But you have to follow your team, watch this space.......dolphins heading to the play offs.

OK so i figure the gators for college, but who in NFL?

Sorry OP, got off the subject a little Very Happy
gatorguy6996
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe just a tad. Laughing Out Loud (My fault entirely)
Toneloc427
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 2:38 am    Post subject: Re: TT in USA Reply with quote

obeone wrote:
Once input, TT would guide visually to destination. (Vocal directions stopping at the last main highway junction.) Interestly, when leaving the villa, vocal directions started immediately.

Were you in a private/gated community? This is typically how TomTom deals with these areas, which are quite prevalent in Florida.

If you could kindly post or PM the exact address, I'd like to take a peek at it in a couple of different map versions - it's odd that you couldn't search for it. Usually if an address is in a gated/private community you can still search for it, but when you select the street it will have a picture of a car with an X through it to the left so that you know it's restricted access.
obeone
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Toneloc427
Yes it was a gated community. It was Mallory Circle in Southern Dunes if memory serves me right.
It was off Highway 27 about 7-8 miles south of junction with I4
Mallory Circle was named on TT display with dotted route line

I also couldn't get it to find the key pick up point, think it was Vine street (used Google maps for this), hence my thoughts that only major roads were in the search function.

rgds
Steve
mrfreeze
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi OB1,

Southern dunes is just south of me. I just checked it out on my tt720 v720 and it took me straight there.

A lot of the gated communities are just shown as dotted lines once you reach the gate house. TT will route you there and anounce you reaching your destination once you turn off the major road intop a gated community. It will continue within the comm as a brown broken line with no verbal instructions.

Having said all that, the Mallory Cir in Southern dunes routed right onto the street without any broken lines, it may be that your older map v710 had it a restricted entry and this may have changed in v720

Hope this helps.
obeone
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mrfreeze

Small world eh?
Yes, that's exactly what mine did
I guess that's the answer. Now I know why they were selling them at a discount!
Did yours find the road in search mode - I could only find it (& a colleagues at Windsor Hills) by browsing the map to pinpoint road.
Must stress worked fine after that.
I just thought it would be a good tip for others to try to pinpoint as many destinations as they could by using Google etc, before leaving the UK. Assuming map version same as mine

Thanks
Steve
mrfreeze
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey OB1,

Yes it found yours by just typing in Haines City and then the address!

I can check your friends, but i don't know the roads in Windsor Hills. it would be a nice addition if you could do it by Sub division name.

I agreed with you earlier in the post, yes it is better to plot them first, especially the theme parks. If nothing else it gives you an idea of where your going.

It is strange how TT deals with gated comms, i still don't understand why it goes silent once you hit the gatehouse. You still have to be able to navigate within a community, so why they make it go silent, i don't know.

"Use the force luke" Very Happy
Kate v710 UK & ROI v850.2781
obeone
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mrfreeze
Just had a thought after I read your last post. After picking keys up we were assuming villa was in Kissimee area (as per brochure) therefore put that in search first. (Not Haines City as we didn't know that then). Maybe that's why it didn't come up Embarassed
Probably same issue with Windsor Hills. (Almaton Loop)

Just tried putting Haines city first - worked a treat
Alamaton Loop found if I enter Kissimme first.

Apologies if I've misled anyone here. Directions given to me only quoted road name, I assumed the whole area was Kissimme.

Interestingly TT went quiet at gatehouse on way in as you said - but gave directions from the villa door on the way out

heh ho
Rgds
Steve
mrfreeze
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

I had a sneaky suspicion you may have done that, so thats why i put it in the post. That way you get to figure it out yourself.

Glad i could solve your mystery.

Problem is, if you didn't know, you could have used Orlando, Kissimmee, Davenport or haines City as they are all close, and unless someone told you different you may think you had the correct one.
Kate v710 UK & ROI v850.2781
meryvn
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From reading other tomtom forums i think this seems to be a common problem in America & Canada especially when large Metropolitan areas have lots of different names it can be quite difficult to choose the right one, and as you found out if you choose the wrong one you can't find the street.

We stayed in a gated community at Lake Berkeley and all the roads in that area were just normal white roads, it seems as if Teleatlas just pick and choose which ones they want to leave as private and which they don't.

A good tip for Google Earth is to add a lot of markers and export them as a .kml file then use POIEdit to convert this to a TomTom POI file and you can than put this on the TomTom. You can also use POIEdit to convert any POI files you have to .kml files and check there locations within Google Earth.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: