Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TT GO 720 SD CARD
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TT GO 720 SD CARD

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RATOM
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 3:12 pm    Post subject: TT GO 720 SD CARD Reply with quote

Hi All

I am new here..

My device is working OK except that it is sometimes slow in the navigation mode. (I had Go 500 previously and it was so very quick!)

For instance on the roundabouts, Go 720 would not show movment in sync with the movement of my car. Go 500 would do that.

Partly for this (maybe I am totally wrong in assuming that the orginal card does not have quick read speed) and partly for the reason that I was trying to add POIs, some more from this site, hence more space needed), I have ordered an SDHC card (extreme 111 Sandisck with 20 mb p/s read and write speed). It will arrive later today.

However, when I ejected the orginal card from underneath GO 720, it seems different. I tried to see contents on it from an sd card reader that I have, but the orignal sd card would not fit in. I realise now that it is definitely different from a dozen of SD cards that I have for my cameras etc.

Any suggestions please.

Once my SDHC arrives, I woluld (as these forums suggest) copy all content from TOMTOM (G) to the SD card so as not to burden the interenal memory.

Will request for help if needed but can some one please advise whether deleting internal memory of GO 720 would help it read faster and come in sync with the actual car position. Just one example for clarity.

I am on a round about and I have to take 3rd exit. When I am at the very mouth of the 3rd exit, GO 720 shows my position on about 2nd exit or so but not on the 3rd where it should point.

And just as I have completed the act of taking the third exit, I would hear a sound "take the exit" while I have actually taken the said exit. This is what I mean when I say my device is a bit slow or not exactly in sync with car position.

Thanks

RATOM
Jolly_Roger
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 720 uses internal memory for its maps etc. straight out of the box. Are you sure the 'sdcard' isn't the socket protector? a blank piece of card shaped plastic ?

Last edited by Jolly_Roger on Thu Aug 07, 2008 3:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The x20 and x30 units can use both internal memory and SD card memory, the faster the card the better, so you have made a wise choice with the card you have decided on.

That said it probably won't speed up map re-draw speeds, how many custom POI files have you installed to the device because I have seen the x20 slow down when a large number of different POI categories are installed? - Mike
carl_the_cobbler
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Installed or displayed, or is there no difference?

Cheers

Carl
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Displayed......because the more icons that need displaying, the longer it takes the screen to refresh and, hence, the apparent 'lag'.
RATOM
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi again

Silly me....just found out that actually, the sd card in the Go 720 memory card slot is a dummy card!!!

Actually every thing so far is in the internal memroy of the device.

So once I have my SDHC card, I would place the data on it and try to free more space (will request guys like you here to help) from the internal memroy of the device.

Mikealder! No not many POIs so far. Just a few bits.

I rasied this issue of slow performance of my device with the tomtom and they came up with running the "clear flash tool" idea. I have not so far done that to avoid any further complications.

thanks for your help though

RATOM
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's always worth a try running the clearflash tool. It is slightly worryingly named but it will not lose any of your settings or data. In fact, you won't see any difference at all when you run it. (except hopefully what you were trying to fix, now works!)

To be honest though, I don't think it will make much difference, I've always thought my 720 is a bit more "laggy" than my Go300 was (that's progress!)
but I couldn't run them side by side to check.
I was going to get annoyed by it, but then I tried running a Garmin next to it for a while and counted my blessings instead! Laughing
RATOM
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P : thnx indeed...will try and report back

RATOM
Calomax
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Go 720 is definately slower than my old TTN6 on an iPAQ 1940 that wasn't even listed as compatible by TT.

And I never have any pois enabled.
IanS100
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RATOM: I am on a round about and I have to take 3rd exit. When I am at the very mouth of the 3rd exit, GO 720 shows my position on about 2nd exit or so but not on the 3rd where it should point.

What is the positional accuracy of the TomTom? I was under the impression that it was only within 20 - 30ft which isn't really accurate enough to use when actually on a roundabout & wondering if you're at the correct exit. I also assume it also depends on how many satellites the device can see so accuracy could vary considerably by the minute!!
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest, you really shouldn't be looking at the display at that point should you, but concentrating on the road?

The TT gives you plenty of warning of which exit you need to take, several hundren yards before you reach the roundabout. THAT'S when you should be taking note of one to aim for.
RATOM
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi again

I entirely agree with Andy-P...concentration should be on the road rather than device but it was something that I did notice over the past many months and it kinda became a little irritant, hence mention.

Anyway, my SDHC (4 GB) card arrived today and I copied all Go files on it. Then I deleted from the internal memory western Europe maps. I let other stuff stay there.

Absolutely no problem. Nothing lost, no red X or anything else. I took the device out for a test and everything seemed to be working just allright. I am happy because I had read so much about tomtom causing problems with 4 GB SD Cards. My assumption is that tomtom home's latest version might have addressed the issue but this is just a guess.

Thanks for your replies

RATOM

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: