Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - What Map software ?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

What Map software ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spark1e
Banned

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 10:42 pm    Post subject: What Map software ? Reply with quote

Is there any map software for pda gps that has the facility to search for waypoints using the O/S grid references and also has a good map with all of the minor roads included on it ?
Thanks in advance Thumbs Up
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will have to decide if you want topo or street maps. The OS maps may not give you all the street detail (names etc) since they are basically scanned-in paper maps.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
Spark1e
Banned

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply, but sorry I'm not sure what you mean by 'topo' (yes I'm very new to all of this pda & gps stuff), so I'll explain what I need it for.
I'm in the U.K., & I get jobs to go to sent to me by fax - these usually are very poor in their information Sad, but 99% of the time they do include an O/S grid reference point, so I would like to be able to put this info into the map software & get the directions to take me there. Quite often these places are in fairly remote areas and can involve several little used tracks or lanes.
Hope that makes a bit of sense to you & thanks again
icsys
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

'Topo' refers to topograhical maps or Ordnance Survey style. Mainly used for off-road pursuits... not generally suited to street navgation.

I believe TomTom Navigator will do what you require through the 'Go To' feature. You are able to specify coordinates although I am not sure if this is confined to Lat/Long coordinates only.

It is mentioned in these forums somewhere but despite an extensive search I can't locate it so perhaps a TomTom owner can clarify?
TomTom GO
Anquet OS mapping
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Spark1e,

Welcome to the forum.

Sounds like you’re a Pylon engineer or something! I’ve got TomTom Navigator 3 (TTNav3) and if I had to go to different locations then I’d use WinOV2 (MS Windows program) to convert the OSGB grid reference into longitude and latitude and then add it to an .OV2 file. These .OV2 files are POIs (Point of Interest) files that TTNav can use to show on the screen and to navigate to.

You might find a major problem doing this though! If the POI is on (or very near) a public road then TTNav will happily navigate you straight there. However if your POI is several fields away with no public roads then you may get some strange routes.

Assuming that you are a Pylon engineer for a moment, presumable you would have to report your presence to the occupier of the land at their office. If you get an OSGB grid reference for the office, and then another one for the actual location then you may be OK.

TTNav knows about some private tracks and lanes, but I won’t guarantee that it knows them all.

Alternatively, a kind-hearted programmer out there (and we have a good number here) might want to write an add-on for TTNav to allow the navigation to an OSGB grid reference. Thumbs Up

Regards,
Robert.
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
Spark1e
Banned

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not too far away Privateer - I have to go & check out some poles & all I'm usually given is the O/S grid reference. I've managed to get WinOV2, but I cant work out how to convert the map reference into gps numbers Sad.
I've also had a look at some info for tomtom & that deos look like it will do eveything I need - apart from imputting O/S grid references - & thanks icsys for your reply aswell.

Quote:
Alternatively, a kind-hearted programmer out there (and we have a good number here) might want to write an add-on for TTNav to allow the navigation to an OSGB grid reference.

I think this will be my best bet, thats if some very kind & clever programmer can manage to to do this for me Smile Smile
Spark1e
Banned

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are there any clever programmers that could manage to do this for me please ??
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Spark1e,

Sorry I missed your post, here’s what you can try.

Download any of the published POIs from this site and use Oldie's excellent WinOV2 PC program on it. In Options tick the OSGB36 setting and run the "Dump ASC" option it will create a text file with the extension of *.ASC which can be read by notepad, it’s best not to use Word. You should get something like the following, which has been taken from the Jeep Dealership POI:

; OSGB36 reference, "Name"
SP 09427 94585,"All Electric Garages, Sutton Coldfield"

Just type in your OSGB grid references and description and then run the option “Make OV2”

If you want to use spaces in your POI's name then use underscore "_". The BMP file also should be exactly the same name as the *.OV2 name, otherwise you won’t get the graphics on the map.

I use MS Paint to create the POI BMP file, which needs to be 22 x 22 pixels, saved as an 8 bit (256 colour) BMP.

When you add POIs to your PPC, in the same folder as the map data, TTNav should not be running. If you still have no success then performing a soft reset should work.

Finally don’t forget to select the new POI so that it shows on the PPC.

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
Spark1e
Banned

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again for your reply Privateer - its starting to sound a bit complicated 8O - but I'll give it a go if you thinks this will let me do a search for any map reference location I need to find.
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Spark1e,

It does sound long-winded and complicated the first time but it does become second nature very soon. Yes give it a go and if you have any problems then shout on the forum.

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
Spark1e
Banned

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An update for you & an easy way out for me Smile Smile.
A good mate of mine sent me his unregistered copy of Memory map (slightly older version 3.1.1), along with the map of the area I needed. I can put any grid reference in that I need to find & it shows your position - even when you go off road Smile. So a great big thanks to him, I've just got to get a bigger memory card now (looking for a 512mb card now) so I can use memory map & tomtom.
Thanks to everyone for you help & replies Smile Smile

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: