Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Navman S30 frozen - device_settings.ini
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Navman S30 frozen - device_settings.ini

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
frogplate
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 7:39 pm    Post subject: Navman S30 frozen - device_settings.ini Reply with quote

Bought a Navman S30 for occasional use (navigating across country to pick up and deliver scouts to their camps) and was very happy the five or six times I used it. However it will no longer boot up. Like other users have described on the Web, when I switch it on the start up screen (picture of woman hanging out of car) is shown for a few seconds, it dislplays its software version number and then it resets. That cycle is then repeated for ever, never getting to the main menu.

Plugging the S30 into a PC and exploring it as a mass storage device shows that the root is full of log files containing error messages saying that it is failing to load:

\My Flash Disk\Program Files\Navman\SmartST_CE\UserData\device_settings.ini

Later it tries to read:

default_settings.xml

from the same directory. The directory exists but only includes a user_settings.xml. I updated to the latest release of the S30 software but this did not restore those files.

Could some helpful person with a Navman S30 plug it into a PC and take a
look what is in the "\My Flash Disk\Program
Files\Navman\SmartST_CE\UserData\
" directory?

I'm hoping that the reboot problem is simply due to the S30 having trashed those files somehow and restoring them will magically bring it back to life.

Thanks in advance,

Jonathan

(There are slightly more details at: http://frogplate.blogspot.com/)
redsoulman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 4:00 pm    Post subject: frogplate Reply with quote

Hi. Just bought one for my mum. you are scaring me! I'm not dead techy but the folder is full of XML docs, a config setting text and a language config text. hope this helps. if you want i'll email folder.
TheM
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 9:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Navman S30 frozen - device_settings.ini Reply with quote

frogplate wrote:
I'm hoping that the reboot problem is simply due to the S30 having trashed those files somehow and restoring them will magically bring it back to life.

Did you have any luck with restoring your S30?
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Did you have any luck with restoring your S30?

Taken from his blog, dated April 7, 2008, linked above

Quote:
With some trepidation I decided to reformat the internal flash drive holding the SatNav software. I found that the following worked for me. But do not try this unless you know what you are doing and your Navman S30 is already bricked:

Plug the Navman S30 into an XP machine via USB. It will appear as two drives, in my case E: holding the SmartST SatNav software and F: being the S30's SD slot.

Use NavDesk 2008 to backup the user data in the usual way.

In Windows XP "My Computer" right click the drive holding the SmartST software (E: on my machine) and select "Format...". Select FAT for the file system and leave the volume label blank. Do not tick the "Quick Format" checkbox. Click on Start and cross your finger.

When the drive has been formatted go to NavDesk 2008 and run Tools - Reinstall software on your Navman.

Then ran Tools - Recover keys.

Put the Navman DVD in the drive, click on "My Maps" in NavDesk 2008 and reload the maps you need.

Check that the Navman S30 now boots up and works properly.

Finally use NavDesk 2008 to restore the backup of the user data. If it then fails to boot, the backed up data was corrupt and you will need to repeat the above steps but not restore the backup, losing your preferences, favourites etc.

The whole process took about 20 minutes.

All seems to be working fine now. Just need to remember to take a laptop,
installation DVD, USB cable and Internet connection every time I take the S30 out in the car...
TheM
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm, looks like he has a unit with bad flash. He should probably return it for replacement.
redsoulman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I don't know how you stuck with it. I sent mine back after 30 mins use. We tryed a test journey to a petrol station. it took us to a feild! we tryed another, when we got there it said turn right 150 yds after we passed it. on the way home it told us to take the first exit on a roundabout when we needed (and the map showed) the third. the screen was hasy and map cluttered. not a patch on the tomtom we have replaced it with.
frogplate
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for the lack of follow up.

The S30 has been working fine since reformatting and reinstalling from scratch. The problems have not reoccurred, so I'm not sure whether it was bad flash, stray gamma ray, or a software bug.

I've also experienced one occasion where the voice said take the second exit on a roundabout but the map showed the third. The map was correct. There were no new roads going into the roundabout, and the map and reality match. So looks like another buglette.
TheM
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

frogplate wrote:
I've also experienced one occasion where the voice said take the second exit on a roundabout but the map showed the third. The map was correct. There were no new roads going into the roundabout, and the map and reality match. So looks like another buglette.

Not all entries into the roundabout are exists so it may appear that voice guidance and map do not match while in reality they are both correct as there are more roads connecting to the roundabout then there are exits.
redsoulman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry dude, I know the roudabout and they were all exits. truth is the unit was pants! I sent it back and bought a tomtom. LOAAADSSS better. thats I'm outa here

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: