Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - UK source for AMOD AGL3080?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

UK source for AMOD AGL3080?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sproing
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:01 pm    Post subject: UK source for AMOD AGL3080? Reply with quote

Does anybody know of a UK source for the AMOD AGL3080? I need a logger for geotagging my photos, but the only options available in the UK are either not Mac-compatible or the Sony GPS-CS1, which seems to be using a rather elderly chipset: I'd rather have SiRFStar III.

The only source I can find is semsons.com, but I don't really want to order from the US and end up getting clobbered by customs charges (and the Post Office helpfully adding 10 quid for the privilege of my being charged said customs fees!)

Does anyone have any ideas? Are there any helpful retailers reading this who feel like adding the AGL3080 to their stock lists? Very Happy

Thanks
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try the Qstarz BT-1000 (Platinum). This uses the very sensitive MTK chipset and comes with s/w (the Platinum edition does) to make the geotagging of your photos that bit simpler. I've just got one. I also have a Zytek 289BT logger with the SiRFIII chipset in it. The advantage of the Q1000 is that it uses Nokia-like batteries of which I have a few spare. It claims battery life of 32 hours - but I haven't tried that out yet. The advantage of the 289 is that it logs to SD card - virtually unlimited logging capability.

The Q1000 quite happily logged a day's journey (14 hours) from a position tucked into the boot pocket in our VW Golf - so it was surrounded by metal on most sides. The track was spot on the roads when plotted on OSGB 1:25k mapping and the wandering while static (for a couple of hours) was less than 15 mtrs. Quite impressive performance.
Sproing
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks — it looks impressive but their website doesn't even seem to mention Mac compatibility, and it mentions installing a driver, which is Windows-only.

The AMOD just mounts as a USB drive and writes standard NMEA files, so it's easy to use with any system that's got USB...

Can't see why more units aren't designed that way, really — it saves having to write drivers, and you increase the number of potential customers Smile
georgio8
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It might be worth organising a multiple UK purchase from samsons.com or direct from the manufacturer. Anyone else interested?
bigmrt
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:20 am    Post subject: Amod Digital Tracker Reply with quote

Hi Sproing
We're now stocking this units in the UK. Here is a link to our website. We've got stock. Let me know if you need more info or anything. We've tried to keep the price low, so its priced at £49.99. This includes the upgraded version of the software (not the limited usage version that is normally shipped).
Thanks,
Tiel
http://www.storagedepot.co.uk/Handheld-GPS/sc893/p835.aspx

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: