Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - POI in TOMTOM One V2
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

POI in TOMTOM One V2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
heavegar
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 11:46 am    Post subject: POI in TOMTOM One V2 Reply with quote

Crying or Very sad
I have purchased a TomTom One V2 but I have not been able to get all of my POIs working. I know they are in the maps folder because I can see them. However when I go to enable them in the TomTom enable POIs they are not all listed and especially important are the speed cameras.

These all used to work with my Medion GPS running the Warner software.

Am I doing something wrong or is there a limit to the no. of POIs TomTom will list?
How can I get over this problem?
PLEASE can anybody help

TomTom One V2
App 6.560
GPS v1.21 Boot 5.05
Map v 660.1199
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum, with version 6 software on your device there is a limit of 100 custom POI categories, that is 100 individual ov2 files.

Open the map folder using Windows Explorer and count up how many files end with the extension of 0v2, if you are over 100 then you need to consider which ones you really need.

Or go to the downloads page of this site and combine some of the categories together, for example Fuel, does it matter which station you need, put them all in one file - Mike
heavegar
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your help

What do you mean put them in one catergory? I thought that I could not put folders in the map folder?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are quite correct about not using folders in the map folder as that won't work. What you do is concatenate a number of seperate POI files into one single category.
This is an option offered on the POI downoad page of this web site, or you can use POIEdit software to append multiple POI files into a single category.
I mentioned fuel POI files earlier, instead of having seperate POI categories for each supplier you just joon all the different fuel POI files into one single category. Another example is the ATM POI files, if I need a cash dispenser do I care what bank I use? - Mike
heavegar
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Question
Mike
I understand what you are saying I think, I just do not understand how to do what you are saying.

I normally download seperate files/subcategory and click show link I then can download the file.
I have tried the other one, Combine subcatorgories, both, showing link and not showing link but internet explorer just crashes.

For argument sake I use Tesco a lot, but I also use the other supermarkets so I click the one box to select all supermarkets, so should i create a category in TomTom (under manage POI) for supermarkets, then find that in the map folder then paste those files into that. Or how would I do it?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any combining of POI files has to be done before the ov2 file gets anywhere near the TomTom device, there is a known problem with the combine sub categories function on the download page, it will only work if you keep the selection to 20 individual categories.
If you select "Combine Sub-Cats" and make sure you have less than 20 POI categories selected the download you obtain will contain a single ov2 file with all 20 categories contained within it.

Or go to POIEdit and download the desktop software which you can use to append multiple POI files into a single file.

How many ov2 files did you have in the map folder? - Mike
heavegar
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked
Mike
I appear to have 566 ov2 files and bitmaps (not including all the individual cameras).
I was used to having them on the POI Warner software so I just did the same.

It is important to have the petrol stations and supermarkets and certain restaurants and speed cameras, but they will add up to more than 100 individuals wont they?

If I use POI Edit will I be able to create a file that will be supermarkets say and have all he bitmaps and ov2 files as one ov2 file is that what you are saying?

I have currently deleted from the map folders all except the supermarkets petrol and certain restaurants however there still seems to be a lot of ov2 files and bitmaps.

So, are you are saying that I can only load into the maps the bits I actually need for that journey, because then it might not allow for the unexpected?

Thank you for your continued support
Daggers
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

heavegar wrote:

It is important to have the petrol stations and supermarkets and certain restaurants and speed cameras, but they will add up to more than 100 individuals wont they?

I have currently deleted from the map folders all except the supermarkets petrol and certain restaurants however there still seems to be a lot of ov2 files and bitmaps.

Also consider the number of POIs in each category - if it only contains one or two POIs, which are probably not in an area you visit regularly, then why bother installing them? (See Fuel - Broadlands Fuels or Statoil as a couple of examples of this). I only use those POI sub-categories which look as if they will contain the majority of sites in the country which belong!
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There seems to be a bit of confusion here. Smile

Taking things one at a time....

heavegar wrote:
I appear to have 566 ov2 files and bitmaps (not including all the individual cameras).
I was used to having them on the POI Warner software so I just did the same.

That's a hell of a lot! No wonder you've got problems.
Ignore the bitmaps in your count - you should have one bitmap with a matching name for each ov2 file.
Count the ov2 files with Windows Explorer. As Mike says, v6 software allows you to have 100, any more and some will be ignored at random. V7 software allows more, but it is dependent on the model, I know it is about 190 on a Go720 but less on older models (169 on a Go910 for example).
You really need to get rid of ALL of them and start again. See my note below about NOT using Home to do this.

Quote:

Nope. The complete speed zoned version of the camera database is only ~30 categories, so if you added 1 of combined petrol stations and (say) 5 different supermarkets and 10 different restaurants, that would still only add up to 46 categories in total.

Quote:
If I use POI Edit will I be able to create a file that will be supermarkets say and have all he bitmaps and ov2 files as one ov2 file is that what you are saying?

Not quite.
All POI Edit will do is merge several poi files together, so (for example) you could merge seperate Tesco,Sainsbury, Asda files to make one "supermarkets" file. The only problem with that is you will now only be ably to have ONE generic .bmp icon for all of them, rather than individual ones for each type of store.
POI Edit does nothing with the bitmaps at all, so if you do it this way rather than downloading the combined supermarkets group you would need to find your own icon.

Better to try to get the combined download working...

Quote:

What are they then? The name of the ov2 file is usually a good clue!
Please use Windows Explorer to remove them rather then Home, then you can ensure you have got rid of them all. For example, Home will not let you remove their own safety cameras, because (although they are still ov2 files, it does not treat them like other POIs).

Quote:
So, are you are saying that I can only load into the maps the bits I actually need for that journey, because then it might not allow for the unexpected?

No, not at all. just keep below the 100 (or more on v7) limit and you will be fine.
If you find the screen refresh getting abit slow, simply untick some of them in "show POI on map", so they don't show up all the time. Everytime you select one to navigate to, it will automatically get switched back on.
heavegar
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Embarassed Thanks Daggers and Andy P.
I have pretty much done what you had suggested , although one final question how would I update to v7
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Connect your One to your PC and run TT's "Home" utility. Select "update your device" and it should offer you v7 software.

You need to have Home v2.3, downloadable from http://www.tomtom.com/plus/service.php?ID=17

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: