Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Bracketron Universal Suction Sat Nav Mount ( Bean Bag )
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Bracketron Universal Suction Sat Nav Mount ( Bean Bag )

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
john877
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 10:52 am    Post subject: Bracketron Universal Suction Sat Nav Mount ( Bean Bag ) Reply with quote

I just noticed this Bean bag mount is now available at Halfords and Amazon!!! until recently I believe the only option was to get one was from the states

I think the question regarding bean bag mounts for the Tomtom has been asked many times I would think it would fit the Tomtom range
Brickie64
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John,
I've liked the idea of the friction mount since using them on Garmin Street Pilot units in the USA where they give these as the standard car mount if you rent with National.
I've looked into this particular mount for the TT720 I have but I think there's a problem with the bracket fitting it properly.
If you turn the GO *20 series mount to stick on a horizontal surface, I think you'd find that the bottom of the device is actually BELOW the base of the mount. This means that the sides of the bean bag would foul on the GPS before the sucker gets anywhere near the disc inside the "doughnut".

I've toyed with the idea of modifying one of these bean bag mounts to fit the 720 but just can't seem to get enthusiastic enough to start butchering it.

Gav

Garmin Nuvi 3598 + GO 720 (+USA Map Card) + NavFree for iPhone in case all else fails ;-)
john877
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes you are correct this was taken from the brackerton website

" May not be suitable for use with the TomTom Go 720 and Go 920/920T. Please Note: The stock windshield mounts provided with these units do not provide sufficient clearance height to the unit needed to work properly with the Nav-Mat. "

I suppose with a different tomtom mount which are available it may be okay.

Thanks for your advice I was off to get one Tuesday I may now see what they have to say about it before I buy
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arkon have a friction mount solution that will shortly be available with x20/x30 adapters.

We'll be receiving a review sample as soon as they are available from manufacture.

Seehere.
john877
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
Arkon have a friction mount solution that will shortly be available with x20/x30 adapters.

We'll be receiving a review sample as soon as they are available from manufacture.

Seehere.

Yes that looks promising especially the TTGO112 unfortunately at the moment it looks like it will be shipping job from the states again which really puts the price up !!!

I went to Halfords to have a look at the bean bag mount in there and its a case as stated the Tomtom 520 mount does not give enough clearance !!
You could stick the mount on the beanbag but because of the angle of the sat nav screen there was to much glare on it to read it .
An alternative mount( which are available ) would keep the screen more vertical and therefore would not suffer the glare

Thanks Brickie for the info it was not something I would have looked at if you had not told me
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

john877 wrote:
Yes that looks promising especially the TTGO112 unfortunately at the moment it looks like it will be shipping job from the states again which really puts the price up !!!

Arkon have a European operation so as soon as these are available (they're not shipping yet) they will be available for purchase in the UK.

As soon as I have reviewed them I'll include a list of UK/Euro retailers in the review.
john877
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
john877 wrote:

Arkon have a European operation so as soon as these are available (they're not shipping yet) they will be available for purchase in the UK.

As soon as I have reviewed them I'll include a list of UK/Euro retailers in the review.

Thanks Darren that's really helpful !!!

I do have a Brodit Mount which is very good and to be honest is hard to beat !!! but I have a spot on the dash just were a bean bag would fit nicely and I fancy giving it a try ??
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just received the new mounts including the friction mount. I'll test it over the next week or so but it does appear to be well designed. As it has a disc that will accept any suction type mount it can be easily used with any device that has a suction base.

Last edited by Darren on Thu Oct 30, 2008 6:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
spdgps
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren,

What is the underside of the mount like - is it similar to a traditional non slip dash mat?

Is it rigid or does it bend slightly (in other words, if your dash is not completely flat, will it accomodate a slight curve)...?

Si.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The underside is a suede like material with a high friction characteristic. It's very flexible and will easily accommodate a curved dash.

I tried it in my wife's Mercedes which has a narrow and very sloped dash and it stayed put remarkably well.
spdgps
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Darren - look forward to your review.

TIA,

Simon.
NukeThemAll
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just acquired one of these 'bean bag' Bracketron mounts and so far I've been impressed....I was looking at 2 things: the best way to move a SatNav between 2 cars; and eliminating the windscreen mount.

I had considered a Brodit clip for both cars but this would be both expensive and, for one car, the only clip available would place the unit in a less-than-ideal location.

So far, using the Bracketron has been very successful. The TT1 windscreen mount has more than sufficient height to allow the power cable to enter the unit with no fouling when attached to the Bracketron. If anything, a lower original TT mount would be even better because when used with the Bracketron the sat nav sits quite high and thus does 2 things; it can get in the sight line more than normal and the higher position exaggerates any movement of the unit. But.....

The Bracketron base does what it claims; it really, really doesn't move at all on the dash of either car, even on sharp corners/bumpy roads. Unless you have an unusual shape top to the dashboard it seems that it would be easy to find a good location which is fairly level.

The satnav unit does vibrate slightly more than a conventional mount or clip but, in both cars, not unduly and certainly not enough to be annoying (to me at any rate). An original mount that's not as tall as my TT1 would move less (some of the Garmin mounts?).

Another advantage; if a passenger wishes to 'fiddle' with the Satnav whilst on the move, it's easy to just pick up the whole Bracketron/Satnav combo, place on lap and 'do the business' rather than having to lean forward and try and cope with bumps/bends etc or struggling to slide the Satnav out of its (tight) holder.

So, overall, for me at any rate, the Bracketron solution isn't perfect but it's a more than good enough solution to my particular requirements. At £20 from Halfords I reckon it's OK.

I have noticed that TT (and others) sell discs which can be stuck to the dashboard and then used with the standard windscreen sucker mount. Fine, but many dashboards might have location limitations, the round disc is probably as much an advert to the crims as a windscreen mount or even the residual 'sucker ring' (but I guess it's easy to cover the dash ring with something innocuous eg map) and longer-term I wonder what the disc's 'easy to remove' adhesive will do after several years on a hot/cold dash top. And I always struggle to take the sucker mount off! - so not as easy a solution for transferring between cars
carl_the_cobbler
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just an update on this topic. I have been looking for a dash mount as the people here were and I found the following on Ebay.

http://tiny.cc/8F0cX

Just click on the above link and from there you will see an Ebay link. I assume you can buy them elsewhere, the price just seemed very good.

Cheers

Carl

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: