Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Pocket PC + software OR dedicated hardware?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Pocket PC + software OR dedicated hardware?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Astronut
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 11:34 pm    Post subject: Pocket PC + software OR dedicated hardware? Reply with quote

For a number of years I've been using an Ipaq 2200 Pocket PC + TomTom3 software; it has served me well and I've come to rely on it heavily as a truck driver.

I think the Pocket PC is on its way out - it dies or resets itself when it gets hot but still works fine in cool weather. Navigating through London in this weeks mini- heatwave was a nightmare because the thing would keep switching off requiring a reset. It's been fine today though in the cooler weather.

Truth is TomTom3 is getting a bit long in the tooth now (road maps out of date) and the pocket PC's screen is quite badly scuffed from the stylus through heavy use.

Time for an upgrade.
I only use the Pocket PC purely for the satnav software (TT3) installed on it so I'm thinking of getting a dedicated TomTom Go unit but there are so many models.

I'm not interested in any satnav system other than TomTom as it's what I'm used to. The model I'm after should have customisable road speed settings in the preferences and must have a postcode database.
If customisable road speeds are not available in a TomTom Go unit then I'm prepared to get another Pocket PC + the latest TomTom software.
Also, I regularly download PocketGPSWorld's speed camera database and would like to continue doing this with the new system. Will this be possible with a dedicated TomTom Go unit or is this database only downloadable for TomTom software on a Pocket PC?

Recommendations please.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By customisable road speeds, I assume you mean telling it your personal speed on Motorways, dual carriageways, A roads, Towns, etc, etc.

You cannot do this with a TomTom GO - they are basically designed for use in cars. They offer driving options of Fastest route, shortest route, avoid motorways, stuff like that, but all of it for cars, not trucks. If that facility is your primary requirement, a GO is out of the running.

They do have postcodes.

I think I've read somewhere that TT software for pocketpc no longer has the customisable speed - wait for somebody else to confirm this.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Astronut
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Dennis.
I've just read a post somewhere that says the maximum speed can be set (eg. 54mph) in the preferences so this would probably be adequate as I do alot of long distance motorway driving.

I'm a bit more clued up now on the various models and I'm now looking at the TomTom One XL which is more than affordable. The only thing that puts me off is the slowish cpu (266MHz) compared to my pda. I note the x20 models have a faster processor (400MHz) but I really do not need a built-in mp3 player (I have 60GB player and do not need another one), voice recognition and all the other fancy stuff that's included in these higher models but if the faster cpu makes a huge difference then I may consider the 520 model - at least the voice recognition feature may be kinda cool ;)

Is the 266MHz cpu capable or should I expect some performance problems or lockups? I'd like to add an SD card and load maps of USA and Canada at some point so will the 266Mhz cpu be able to cope reading maps from an SD card?
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless you need a PocketPC for other reasons, get a dedicated PND. Much less hassle, simpler to set-up and use etc.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The One XL behaves very well on the road with the processor fitted, there is no problem that is processor speed related.
The One XL will work with any TomTom map, you will need to purchase an SD card for your additional map(s), good quality blank cards are cheap these days, just remember the One XL cannot share memory locations, you have to use either the SD card or the Internal Flash memory - Mike
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't advise you regarding processor speed. Maybe someone else can.

The maximum speed feature is operated this way - You define your destination, then specify maximum speed for the planning.

To demonstrate I've just planned a route from here (Keynsham, nr Bristol) to Southampton.

Fastest route gives me M4, A34, M3, - 110 miles, 2:10hrs.
54mph route gives me A36, - 71 miles, 2:27hrs.

As I said before, these are for a car, so the question is whether this serves your purpose. Your truck has different limits, so where the planning allows cars to do 54mph, the truck wouldn't. I also have a sneaking suspicion that 54mph maximum might offer you a country lane rather more often than you'd like? (My route to reach A36 above takes me through a 7.5T limit).

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Astronut
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was hoping that capping the maximum speed would just alter the ETA and journey time, not alter the route to take in the local scenery. It's a pretty useless feature then.

Getting a new PDA + software would be a high price to pay for the possibility of retaining the customisable road speeds feature I'm used to, especially as I rarely use a PDA for anything other than satnav.

I guess I can compromise and just add a little time to the ETA and journey time after I've used it a few times. I've read a couple of reviews of the One XL and it's looking more and more appealing.

I have a set of CD's with USA and Canada maps - these were bought for TomTom 3 on my PDA a couple of years back. Would these be compatible with the latest TomTom software on the GO units or have the map formats been updated since TomTom 3?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Astronut wrote:
Getting a new PDA + software would be a high price to pay for the possibility of retaining the customisable road speeds feature I'm used to, especially as I rarely use a PDA for anything other than satnav.

If you are thinking about a new PDA to run your existing TomTom Navigator 3 be aware any new PDA will be supplied with the Windows Mobile 5 or 6 operating system.
TomTom Navigator 3 will not load and work using the new OS from Microsoft, even the CAB file installer method fails. - Mike
Astronut
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks but I do realise that. The new PDA option was for a new PDA + the latest TomTom software.

Are the USA/Canada maps I have on CD (used for my current TomTom3 on PDA) compatible with the later versions of TomTom and/or the current TomTom GO units?
S2KC
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen somwhere about a satnav that will let you say what you are driving, ie lorry, car, bike, starship.

Maybe something worth you looking into, Tom Tom probably do something like that. Would save alot of bother on the planning/speed.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

S2KC wrote:
I have seen somwhere about a satnav that will let you say what you are driving, ie lorry, car, bike, starship.

Do you mean This One? - Mike

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: