Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Garmin 200w Help !
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Garmin 200w Help !

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
motherhen
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 3:54 pm    Post subject: Garmin 200w Help ! Reply with quote

We bought a Garmin 200w after having a navman icn 520. I'm tring to put speed cameras on to the Garmin .As it came without a sd card does it need one in when i try to load the cameras on ?if so would the card be the same as what you put into a digital camera ? Question
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi and welcome.

You don't need an SD card with the garmin the internal memory will be fine. Personally i'd use the Consolidated database with the Nuvi...
motherhen
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 4:11 pm    Post subject: Garmin 200w Help ! Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply excuse me if i sound a bit daft but what is the consolidated daterbase ? Confused
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you downloaded the database did you not get a choice of database? Single File, Consolidated or Speed Zoned?

Can you clarify where you are downloading the database from? The PocketGPSWorld website, Garmin or Other?
motherhen
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 5:12 pm    Post subject: Garmin 200w Help ! Reply with quote

I was looking at the garmin site but i haven't done anything yet as i wasn't sure if i needed to put in a sd card or not. As it's new it said that i get 30 days free trial .
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah. If you use either the PGPSW database or the Garmin one you will not need an SD Card.

The Consolidated database is one of the PGPSW databases offered here. Sorry for the confusion.
archchancellor
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The Consolidated database is one of the PGPSW databases offered here.

I have just installed the consolidated database on my new Nuvi 200W using Garmin's POI loader software (running on OS X). Looking at the contents of the internal drive with the unit hooked up to my Powerbook (I have no SD card in the unit) I can see two files in the directory POI. These are UKCyclops.gpi and poi.gpi.

When I go to the settings menu and choose "Proximity Points / Proximity Alerts" I get the option of choosing "Garmin Safety Cameras" and "Custom POIs". The former is obviously the original, built-in Garmin database. I assume that the latter is the complete set of speed and other camera data built from the consolidated file. Is that correct? In which case, why the name "Custom POIs"? And what will happen if, for example, I install another set of POIs, for example, showing Shell petrol stations?

Can I simply delete the file "UKCyclops.gpi"? The OS X POI Loader software has no option to delete POIs, unlike the Windows version.

Thanks! Smile
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I assume that the latter is the complete set of speed and other camera data built from the consolidated file. Is that correct?

Yes

Quote:
And what will happen if, for example, I install another set of POIs, for example, showing Shell petrol stations?

POILoader will delete POI.GPI (and therefore all your Custom POIs) and upload any new ones. Therefore you need to maintain a folder on your Mac will ALL your POIs and you must upload them all every time.

Apparently you can rename the POI.GPI file to say SpeedCam.GPI and then POILoader won't delete it and any new POIs will be loaded to a new POI.GPI file.

Quote:
Can I simply delete the file "UKCyclops.gpi"?

Apparently others have done so ok.

Quote:
The OS X POI Loader software has no option to delete POIs, unlike the Windows version.

You can manually delete the POI.GPI file.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: