Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TTG 720T mount suitable for hire car in California?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TTG 720T mount suitable for hire car in California?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scoobychick
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:15 am    Post subject: TTG 720T mount suitable for hire car in California? Reply with quote

We're off to California on a driving holiday soon and I've just discovered that it's illegal to stick anything on the windscreen including SatNavs. I'm looking for a suitable mount for a 720T that will sit on the dash or vent of a Mustang Convertible and not blow away Wink

I've seen this http://www.buybits.com/product/sku_3122.aspx which looks like it might solve the problem but I can't quite work out how it won't fall off.

Does anyone have any suggestions?
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

May I suggest this.....

Here is a link to the 720 forum of a very popular NA TomTom forum. I would ask your question there since I'm not 100% sure that you can even use a dash mount in California. One of the moderators is from California so I suspect you'll get an answer forthwith.

http://tomtomforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=66

For the time it takes to log in and post a question, still is better than going out and paying for something you can't use. Better safe than sorry.
vicky
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WE are based in Nevada where you are allowed to have a screen mount but spend a lot of time down in LA, you are correct that a screen mount is not allowed

BUT is not a "Pullable" offense, Like the US Seatbelt law (You cannot be stopped for not wearing a seatbelt), but if you are stopped for another offence like speeding then they will add on a fine for no seatbelt

Same with the Screen Mount if you were to get stopped for speeding you may find they Add you $50 for the mount, but you would not get stopped for that offece alone, We have prbably done 200k miles in California over the last 5 years with a screen mount without problem,

Personally I would just use it and if you fall foul pull the Tourist card!. But its up to you, although personally I don't think you have anything to worry about. CHP and PD have more stuf to look out for than a sat nav or phone screen mount (Just my opinion you may find different)!

Here is a link to the Leagalize Text if you want ot read on the actual law

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d12/vc26708.htm
stuart
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:40 pm    Post subject: Sat Nav in California Reply with quote

Both my sons do 'On-board' deliveries to San Diego, and always hire a car at L.A. Airport. The cars have Garmin Sat Navs with a bean bag dash mount included..Works very well they tell me.. See here...http://technical-itch.co.uk/2008/04/08/garmin-friction-mount-review/
Smartdriver
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vicky wrote:
Here is a link to the Leagalize Text if you want ot read on the actual law

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d12/vc26708.htm

Interesting read! Does para 26708 (b)(3) mean that if it's smaller than a 5 inch square you can have it in the the lower corner of the windshield in front of the driver?

TT Go 6000
Previous Go 920T
vicky
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
(3) or signs, stickers, or other materials which are displayed in a 5-inch square in the lower corner of the windshield nearest the driver.

I think technically they are covering cars that have state inspection stickers / Parking Permits in the corner of the windshield. BUT Technically this could cover the Sat Nav if it fitted in that area. (One for the lawyers I think)?
scoobychick
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your helps guys, I think I'll get a friction mount and chance it Smile
HummerUK
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes a few months back a TT emailed newsletter had a article about a user with his TT in California on vacation mounted on the dash.

I did email them that this was against the law but no correction etc was ever issued.

HummerUK
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The DMV link supplied above certainly suggest it would be permitted in the lower right corner of the screen if smaller than 5 inches?

Either way, why not just get a self adhesive disc and stick it to the dash? Easily removed at end of hire period. Personally I just stick to the windscreen, never had any issues and I suspect this is one of those offences buried in legislation which would only be applied if you were very silly and stuck the nav slap bang in the middle of windscreen!
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
......only be applied if you were very silly and stuck the nav slap bang in the middle of windscreen!

It's amazing how often you see THAT in the UK. Shocked

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: