Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom 720 or Garmin 760?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom 720 or Garmin 760?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gatorguy6996
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two separate backups would be recommended. One on TTHome and one on personal computer.
gatorguy6996
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clarification: If you choose the TomTom route, backup up your new device before you ever connect it to TTHome. It's been know to booger a new nav before you ever get to use it. Not often, but no reason to take chances.
colossus
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After messing about with google maps a bit what I want is whichever is easier to transfer a route I've planned on google onto the device. Is it possible to get an over view of a whole route on screen on either machine in the way that you can see it on google?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you are loosing sight of the objective a little here. Google or any other PC based planning software is fine if you want to force the nav unit to go a specific pre-planned route. In normal use any GPS nav unit will get you from A to B without problems when setup correctly and the application of a little common sense.

I would only use a PC route planner if I was intending to check a number of speed cameras, or want to go a specific route. Doing this does not provide the most efficient route, the nav unit can often find even local short cuts that you might have never considered.

For day to day use simply throw it on the mount and tell it where you want to go, let it work out the "black magic" and you will be delivered to the destination - I very rarely double check any route offered, if, however on route a turn looks dubious I ignore the device and it re-plans a new route to the same destination with no intervention from the user (this applies to all decent devices) - Mike
gatorguy6996
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The trees were getting in the way of the view I think Wink
Trevor1234
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Andy_P2002
After seeing your screen shots of the Tomtom 720 and the Garmin I thank God that I purchased the Tomtom 720.
GPS World Traffic cameras
Home 2.7
iPhone 3G
gatorguy6996
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trevor, the screen shot was not a Garmin 760. It was a much older 300 series. I've actually seen both. The 760's screen is much cleaner, crisper and even brighter than the TT720. Of course the trade off for crisp, anti-aliased text and lines is the screen refresh rate. The TT will refresh faster, but the Garmin 760 will be easier to read, as well as easier to see in bright light.

Last edited by gatorguy6996 on Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Trevor1234
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi colossus
After reading all the bewildering advice I wouldn’t blame you if you went and purchased a map and compass.
GPS World Traffic cameras
Home 2.7
iPhone 3G
gatorguy6996
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and a nice pint!
colossus
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reason I like the look of google map comes from the number of times the i3 has taken me onto single lane roads which have in theory a 60mph speed limit when actually there is a much more sensible route. Maybe routing has improved since the i3. It's not something I would use for short day to day trips but some routes it comes up with round here may get you there but certainly not in the time they estimate and not without stress.
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

colossus wrote:
The reason I like the look of google map comes from the number of times the i3 has taken me onto single lane roads which have in theory a 60mph speed limit when actually there is a much more sensible route. Maybe routing has improved since the i3. It's not something I would use for short day to day trips but some routes it comes up with round here may get you there but certainly not in the time they estimate and not without stress.

Let me draw your attention to my comment on page 3 then!

Anita wrote:
Even with fastest route selected the i3 routing favoured the back roads and country lanes, whereas the 720 routes via main roads on fastest and back roads/lanes on shortest.

You'd certainly find the TT720 a vast improvement over the i3 in this respect, but maybe Garmin have addressed this in their later models.
Samsung Galaxy S21
colossus
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I'd forgotten that post. Thanks
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

colossus wrote:
Sorry I'd forgotten that post. Thanks

I'm not surprised. You must be so confused by now! Confused

It really does come down to personal choice. I'm not familiar with the Garmin 760, but I'm sure it's an excellent device, as is the TT720. Each will have advantages over the other, and without getting to try them both out it's not an easy decision. As you've discovered, people will argue fiercely for the model they use, although they may have no experience of the other. Maybe you should pay most attention to those who use, or have used, both the devices you're interested in, like mikealder.

I was lucky. I won the 720 in the PGPSW competition, so didn't have to make a choice! Very Happy
Samsung Galaxy S21
colossus
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Maybe you should pay most attention to those who use, or have used, both the devices you're interested in, like mikealder.

So that's back to tomtom then. Unless....
Continental_Drifter
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Colossus;

As more than one person has said, it really comes down to personal preferrence. The reason this is such a difficult decision is that both the 720 and 760 would be good choices.

I was faced with the same decision recently between the 770 and 920. In the end, since I couldn't make a decision based on features I just went with the most economical unit (I didn't say cheap because all the Garmins and TomTom are IMHO very good quality). As I am in Canada the TomTom's are significantly less expensive than Garmin for comparable units.

I have been reading that the reverse situation applies on your side of the pond so if the Garmin is indeed less expensive I would just go with that. I suspect that whichever unit you choose, after you become comfortable with it you will probably be just as passionate as the other posters here.

Good Luck!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 6 of 9

Jump to: