Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - GPS Noob
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

GPS Noob

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NoTimeTolouse
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 9:06 am    Post subject: GPS Noob Reply with quote

Completely new to GPS, but have some idea of what functions I need, could somebody please help out with hardware recommendations.

1) Want to use it both in the car and as a walkabout over the moors to log my own poi. So need to be able to use lat and long input and output (if that makes sense)

2) Would prefer not pocket pc type device, and I think a 3.5" screen would be fine. Must be all in one, not bluetooth.

3) Would prefer AA type battery power to built in rechargeable type.

4) Would like the type that provides the most accurate fix (to 3M or so)

5) Would like to have a model that would take terrain mapping for off road use (I know I will have to buy this), and best type of terrain maps

6) Will update via PC, don't need mobile connectivity.

I looked at the TomTom one V3, but doesn't have the battery option I would prefer and I have heard that the one with UK mapping on doesn't have much spare room on the card left.

Not familiar enough with GPS gear to make a buying choice, would ideally like to hear from someone who has hands on experience with something that will do most or all of above. I know from my PC experience that there is a lot more to hardware than just the spec, like build quality and ease of use.

Thanks
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your requirements will never be fully met by one device. The only combined solution I could recommend would be a PocketPC with two separate software applications, one for on-road and one for off.

Alternatively consider a dedicated in-car device for navigation on-road and a dedicated handheld for walking.
NoTimeTolouse
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply.

Not sure which features I am going to have to compromise on. Could forgo the terrain mapping for a start, as the maps are quite expensive.

So that leaves the TomTom I mentioned earlier having a rechargeable battery and not the higher resolution fixes away from my ideal. I understand that it can be used in waypoint mode and has an electronic compass.

If I accepted these compromises on mapping could I get closer to my ideal spec i.e a device with an AA battery power option and the higher resolution fixes?

Thanks again.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A TomTom device does not have an electronic compass built in to it, it will only display heading information derived from the GPS data whilst moving, when stationary or moving slow (i.e. walking) this as much use as a chocolate teapot.
Very few GPS based devices will have a true electronic compass, it is too costly to add to the device and of no benefit in a car, GPS heading is adequate.
A TomTom has its own rechargeable battery built in, but should always be used connected to the car charger while in a vehicle, for occasional use the battery will support some limited use, my 720 will last around 50 minutes from a full charge if all options are switched on.

Look at a PDA or even consider a PDA based mobile phone, the XDA Orbit-2 from O2 comes with Co-Pilot Live 7 car based GPS software, the phone has a built in GPS receiver, add Memory Map for your area (50K scale = £50) and you have the ideal device, if you want a phone of that type - Mike
NoTimeTolouse
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well been researching away all evening and found The Road Angel Adventurer 7000 here:

http://www.memory-map.co.uk/road_angel_adventurer_satnav.htm

and some National Park software of interest here:

http://direct.tesco.com/product/images/?R=200-8751

Would welcome some comments on the above as a solution. I think I will have to lower my sights a bit, a combination of a proper road gps and something that will also run terrain mapping, and is self powered as well as 12v, is probably going to do most of what I need.

Thanks for putting me right about the compass, see how easy it is to make a mistake!

EDIT: Just checked seems to be available with the maps, inc National Parks for £250 ish, seems to meet all the spec I wanted except for the AA batteries. What do you think of it?
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just one other point to clarify, NO consumer kit has the high resolution accuracy you require. Only survey grade equipment using DGPS can attain anything better than the =/- 10m accuracy of consumer units.

I have used a Road Angel (as I believe has MikeA) and was less than impressed. memory-Map is Ok but the road navigation software was truly dire in my opinion and the units construction was poor.

Other users have different opinions of course and a search of these forums will find other threads discussing that model. It's a compromise but too big a compromise for me.
NoTimeTolouse
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK thanks for the advice, seems to have had very mixed reviews elsewhere.
The Roadangel specs though are pretty close to what I want, the build and execution seem to be of dubious quality though.

Came across this unit The Satmap active 10, would be grateful for feedback on this unit. Still trying to get close to my original spec.

http://www.satmap.com/

I realise this won't give turn by turn directions, however I can still enter a destination and have an active map to follow. I am not looking to navigate through Town and City.

Thanks

Last edited by NoTimeTolouse on Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you look you'll see we have a very active Satmap forum here Very Happy

Also just received some very good coverage on the Gadget Show on C5 not 20mins ago Cool

I'm in the process of reviewing an Active 10 at the moment and I like it a lot. It's not a solution for in-car navigation though.
NoTimeTolouse
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, that's where I saw it, then did a bit of surfing to check it out, and it seems to get good reviews.

However I am looking for expert feedback, you saved me from buying a Road Angel, which on it's specs is all I need ......but I am so glad I didn't get it.

I am old enough to remember the VHS/ Betamax saga, and I don't want to spend all my hard earned on a Betamax equivalent.
Nothing worse than laying out the dosh and then realising you bought the wrong gear.

Can't wait to read your review on this unit. I noticed that on the GS some of the other units were very slow, wouldn't want that.

Edit: Followed your link to the forum, only mention I could find of of this unit related to battery life.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: