Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - North American map update due anytime soon?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

North American map update due anytime soon?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bigvernster
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 12:12 pm    Post subject: North American map update due anytime soon? Reply with quote

I have only had my 720T for about 6 weeks now but have been an eager lurker in this forum for a few months and have plucked up the courage to make my first post.

A bit of a speculative question here.

I am off to Las Vegas / Daytona Beach / Orlando for the month of July and have a 720T with WE 715 maps. I obviously want to purchase the N.A. maps, the sooner the better so I can add my own POI's etc but don't want to find out that a newer map is released before I go and outside my 30 day windows for free map update.

Does anyone know if there is likely to be a map update for N.A. ( especially with the x30 range just around the corner) before July or will it be safe enough to go ahead and purchase now?

Thanks for any info, I have already found this forum to be of great help to a noob.
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: North American map update due anytime soon? Reply with quote

bigvernster wrote:
I have only had my 720T for about 6 weeks now but have been an eager lurker in this forum for a few months and have plucked up the courage to make my first post.

A bit of a speculative question here.

I am off to Las Vegas / Daytona Beach / Orlando for the month of July and have a 720T with WE 715 maps. I obviously want to purchase the N.A. maps, the sooner the better so I can add my own POI's etc but don't want to find out that a newer map is released before I go and outside my 30 day windows for free map update.

Does anyone know if there is likely to be a map update for N.A. ( especially with the x30 range just around the corner) before July or will it be safe enough to go ahead and purchase now?

Thanks for any info, I have already found this forum to be of great help to a noob.

The most recent North America map is 7.15 which was released just a few weeks ago. Assuming TT keeps to its schedule of 4 map updates/year, I wouldn't expect one before the end of May or June.

Since you have a 720, do NOT get the USA & Canada map; it's inferior to the North America map in scope, detail, etc.

Further, I suggest (if you don't have one) to get a 4-gig sdhc card. While the NA map is supposed to fit in internal memory, it sometimes requires file stripping to do so.

Finally, I suggest you go to this link: http://tomtomforums.com/showthread.php?t=4998&page=7

and in post #64 is a link to download the (much larger) poi.dat and crpoi.dat files that are meant for the 920 (NA) but work with the 720 series. They're 3x the size of the 720 poi file (which is why I suggest a sd card to store the map and poi dat files).
bigvernster
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply dhn Very Happy

I ordered a Transcend 8gb SDHC card and card reader from Amazon this morning as I plan to use the Tomtom to play mp3's (if I can find a free fm frequency) whilst travelling instead of my Ipod so this will take care of the storage issue. I think I am right in assuming that the 720 will recognise all 8gb on the card so long as it is formatted correctly which is why I bought a card reader as well.

Thanks for the info on the 920 POI's. I am dowloading them as we speak.

I think I will hold off for 5 or 6 weeks before purchasing the NA map just in case a new one appears before I head off
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bigvernster wrote:
I think I am right in assuming that the 720 will recognise all 8gb on the card so long as it is formatted correctly which is why I bought a card reader as well.

You won't be able to write to the "second" 4GB of your 8GB card, but the TT will read it OK. So you need to load up the card with your mp3s using an SDHC-compatible card reader.

ee posts here by Mike Alder for more details (try a search for "SDHC" with his name ("mikealder") as the author).
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: North American map update due anytime soon? Reply with quote

bigvernster wrote:
don't want to find out that a newer map is released before I go and outside my 30 day windows for free map update.
Just a point - you are already outside your 30 day window for free map update - that only applies to the device and has normally been interpreted as 30 days from date of purchase. If you buy the latest map today and a new one is released tomorrow, you don't get the new one for free. (I have no idea when the next new map is coming).

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
bigvernster
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for clearing that up Dennis.

I was under the impression (I'm pretty sure from info from the US tomtom user forum) that if you purchased a map from Tomtom and it was updated within 30 days of you purchasing it, you were entitled to get the new update free, which seemed reasonable.

My 8gb card should arrive tomorrow so I'll purchase the map then and see what happens.

Thanks again
Toneloc427
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would really recommend waiting another month to purchase the NA maps - the new x30 series will have a new map release, and there's really no reason TomTom couldn't release this map for other models at the same time. They may wait a bit in hopes of increasing x30 sales, but it shouldn't take too long for the new maps to be available for at least the x20 devices.

There will be some significant upgrades to these new maps, including the IQ Routes and Lane Guidance, which have not previously been available.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: