Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom launch 7.480 for GO x20 devices
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom launch 7.480 for GO x20 devices
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 24, 25, 26  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So they may have fixed one of the problems - but is it reporting the delay info on the sidebar as Navcore 6 does?

All I have ever had with mine is no delay info, 1 minute delay or something ridiculous like 160 minutes delay - from the previous posts this still appears to be the case, although I will try mine out over the Easter weekend and see what it comes up with - bound to be some holdups somewhere on a Bank Holiday weekend.

If you have a GPRS traffic subscription you can compare, and the delays are realistic like 17 mins on GPRS and 1 min for the same incident on RDS-TMC.

Andy
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK folks - RDS-TMC. I did over 450 miles today - big circuit, Bath, Bristol, M5, M42, Nottingham, M1, Huddersfield, M62, M6, M5, home. I never lost the traffic green disk the whole time.

I had the same result as speedcam - returning from Huddersfield, the nice lady announced "Traffic situation has changed", but nothing showing on the front screen and no indication of delays. When I looked for the details they were there (4 incidents on route), starting with fog on the M62, then three congestions (M60, M6 twice). No indication of time of delay - I think that figure to the bottom left is the length of the incident in miles, but it would be nice to know.

I had started being impressed, because I got a change for congestion just as I pulled up to the congestion on M1 half a mile before my turn off into Nottingham - I thought, well, it shows, even though too late for me to divert, but then you may have only just done the update. But the later experience disappointed me.

Before reading all your posts on my return, alas I thought maybe there had been a generic update from TomTom, thus they had solved the missing TMC connection green disk by software in the same manner as they solved the rebooting problems with the x10s (by disabling the auto power off, not by solving the mount problem!!).

Yesterday I was Daleking on hands free. Today I was clear as a bell. Maybe it's because I reverted to my old steam Nokia 6230i because I hated the upgrade to Nokia 6110 Navigator which doesn't support TT properly.

Whatever, today my Bluetooth wireless remote control gets no reaction from the 920T. It worked yesterday. It now tests OK on the GO720.

Dammit!! I've just discovered this month's competition for a Classic has closed. I could have done with that.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
SpeedCam
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomTom are working overtime night, this is the fastest response I've ever had from them, usual cr?p.

This update does concern me for a number of reasons, firstly why have they released it, and the release timing is very similar to the Navigator days ie they release an update on a friday or bank holiday with no way of contacting their support teams.

My bigger concern is why have they released this update at all, we all know that NavCore 8 is due, so why not wait until the end of April and release this. I can only think of two reason's, either this is a beta release so that the NavCore 8 functionallity is fully tested prior to release, or x20 users are not going to get a NavCore 8 update. If you think about it the x20 & x30 hardware is identical so if they release x20 update they will struggle to sell x30 devices and the V7480 includes the IQ Routing.

TomTom helpful cut & paste:

Thank you for contacting TomTom Customer Support regarding the RDS-TMC Receiver.

Please make sure that the RDS-TMC Traffic Receiver is firmly plugged into the socket on the mount, or on the base of the TomTom device. When in the RDS/TMC Status Screen (tap on the Traffic bar on the right side of the screen) or TomTom Traffic menu, please check to see if the software is scrolling through radio stations. If it is scrolling through frequencies and radio stations it is an indication that the receiver is working, however it is unable to lock onto a useable FM frequency. It is particularly important that the RDS-TMC Traffic Receiver is positioned correctly. The receiver cable must be stretched out entirely, as it is the cable itself that functions as an antenna and which receives the RDS-TMC signal.

If you know the frequency of a local radio station that transmits RDS-TMC information, you can try tuning to this specific frequency. Please go to the "RDS/TMC Status Screen" by tapping on the traffic bar on the right side of the screen when in the main navigation view. Then click on the "Tune RDS/TMC" icon and enter the frequency. Please note that there needs to be a route planned in order to use this functionality.

If you have tried to "Tune" into a frequency but with no result then the RDS-TMC receiver may not be functioning appropriately. Please try and adjust the location of the receiver to a position where a stronger signal is received. Please also test the receiver outside of the car for a few minutes to verify that it is able to receive a signal.

If the receiver still does not receive a usable signal please re-install the latest software update, version 7.1x or higher, through TomTom HOME.

If the receiver does not receive a signal at all, not even outside the car, then please let us know and we will book the RDS-TMC receiver and the car docking shoe in for repair to get them tested and replaced if necessary.

Please note that TMC information is transmitted through conventional FM radio broadcasts. The source of the RDS-TMC traffic information, and the radio stations and organizations responsible for the transmission of the signal, vary for every country and region in which the service is available. Additionally, the strength of the radio signal that is transmitted locally can vary greatly, depending on the proximity to an FM transmitter mast and its transmission strength.

A limitation of TMC technology is therefore that in certain local areas it may not be possible to receive a useable RDS-TMC signal.

Please note that the Content of the RDS TMC traffic information is provided to you by the local radio stations and TomTom is not responsible for the Data supplied by the Radio Stations.

Please view the following link for further details in how to set up your RDS TMC receiver:-
http://www.tomtom.com/7548

With Best Regards

The TomTom Customer Support Team
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the evidence :-

SpeedCam
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Exactly what I was seeing...
karlak
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now fellas,

We dont think that TT would have changed the software to always show a Green TMC disk, even when there is no signal in reality, do we ?

Do they not actually test their updates before release Crying or Very sad
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

karlak wrote:
Now fellas,

We dont think that TT would have changed the software to always show a Green TMC disk, even when there is no signal in reality, do we ?

Do they not actually test their updates before release Crying or Very sad

Hah! Speak fer yerself! I reckon they've jigged it to stop the one minute rubbish and the loss of signal rubbish. They've certainly not jigged it to work properly. But they're getting there! By the time the x30s come out, they'll be at approximately where they should have been when they released the x10s - so the 930 will be as good as the 910 should have been, therefore it'll be two models short of up to date!

mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

karlak wrote:
Ah, someone else to go in the "cynics" corner, at least I will have someone to talk to though, welcome to the small club Cool , it isn't green all the time though, but the actual meaning of a green disk isn't what it used to be - it is a real shame they can get so close to sorting out the RDS-TMC debacle in the UK then remove what I consider essential information (frequency, station ident name, and an easy to gauge indication of tuned/ tuning etc) - not impressed - Mike
mikewall
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At least TMC is usable if not fully fixed! Didn't realise this update included iq routing tho! Guess were guinea pigs then! I was just pleased i got signal all day! but i do get more than 1 delay on side bar! i'll get photo next time! i dont get any delay times there anymore tho, i have to go into traffic info page for that!
AusRef
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same problem as nebula - where are you from? I just posted a ticket to support:

Quote:
Since this installation of this update through HOME, when attempting to choose either a crossing/intersection for navigation (or adding POI), the unit will stop on the "One moment please" screen with the keyboard when prompted to select the second street. Entering text accomplishes nothing - as though there are no streets around. This happens regardless of the suburb and street chosen. It also occurs when choosing a normal address when no street number is entered, and it attempts to prompt for a crossing (where normally I could at least choose Anywhere).

I am using the Australian map (pre-installed).
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
Here's the evidence :-

Excellent post!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you had a GPRS traffic subscrition you could compare and would see delay times for all of those incidents, as well as a total delay on route.
All of the incidents would show on the sidebar as well.

So, as it cannot possibly rereoute based on delay information it is not functioning as advertised, basically it is inherently faulty. See my earlier post regarding Sale of Goods actr, within 6mths of purchase the retailer has to prove you wrong. As it is a 920t which were only available from December we have until the end of May for the 930 to come out and then get an exchange (unless TT fix it by then, but I doubt it).

Andy
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AndyVaughan wrote:
If you had a GPRS traffic subscrition you could compare and would see delay times for all of those incidents, as well as a total delay on route. All of the incidents would show on the sidebar as well.

So, as it cannot possibly rereoute based on delay information it is not functioning as advertised, basically it is inherently faulty. See my earlier post regarding Sale of Goods actr, within 6mths of purchase the retailer has to prove you wrong. As it is a 920t which were only available from December we have until the end of May for the 930 to come out and then get an exchange (unless TT fix it by then, but I doubt it).

Andy

Hmm - I understand that if you are mad enough to both have RDS-TMC and a TT subscription to the GPRS traffic, they will NOT work in tandem. However, if anybody fancies contributing the moolah, I'll happily take on the GPRS traffic to run on #6 or #7 to see how they compare with 920T! Twisted Evil

shadamehr
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a friendly post to remind that even with WIRELESS Traffic, whilst the actual info and data and times is still correct, the new Upgrade has brought bugs into the mix even for Wireless Users:

1) Traffic Congestion Issues (but not any other as I can tell), do NOT show a "Cars Queuing" warning triangle now, at a "normal" mid range level of zoom as it does with the prior application version. You just get the tiny red dot instead. OTHER incidents ARE shown on the traffic map at this proper zoom level however with corresponding triangles.

2) Various issues with lane colouring (similar to Dennis's handy screen shots above). Mainly things like contraflows and lane restrictions (which are meant to show blue), show as blank often, like some of the examples on Dennis's above).

Reverting to prior Application Version does resolve these issues.

So latest update has messed some things up in Traffic even for WIRELESS users.

HTH.
Allen_EP
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The green circle is now totally different.
I set up my 920 at home and waited for it to get traffic. I then coiled the TMC up and placed it under the 920 so it did not get a signal.

It would appear that if the TT loses signal it searches for 5 minutes before it considers a lost signal. After a further 5 minutes it then reduces the green circle by a 1/4 and shows signal lost 5 minutes ago, this is actually 10 minutes. every 5 minutes after that it reduces the green circle by another 1/4 until after 20 minutes you have a grey circle.

So it would always be at least 10 minutes before you know you have lost the signal.
WelshFOX
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 1:54 pm    Post subject: [b]Latest update[/b] Reply with quote

Hi, After reorting several features which are not functioning properly on this update I have been told by TT not to use this update under any circumstances, they intend to update again very soon. My 520T which had all of the features avaiable originally in home now is being reported as either a 720 or 920 and a lot of features are not available.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 24, 25, 26  Next
Page 7 of 26

Jump to: