Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - GPS units getting stolen
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

GPS units getting stolen

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 1:38 pm    Post subject: GPS units getting stolen Reply with quote

From today's local (Toronto, Canada) newspaper:

http://www.thestar.com/News/GTA/article/302373
Antoeknee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This type of crime was all too common in the UK. Though publicity campaigns and police crackdowns have had an impact.

PND's are compact and easy to steal/sell on.

The advice to remove from the car and remove the holder as well has been recommended in the UK for some time. Aslo worth considering cleaning the tell tale circles of the screen.

Leaving the PND in the glove box isn't a good idea, organised criminals watch (from suitable vantage point) for people removing the device from the screen and placing in the glove box. Its then a simple matter of breaking the window and stealing the device a little later.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

some police forces even handed out free dusters so people could wipe the tell-tale sucker marks off the screens!!

MaFt
stuart
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
some police forces even handed out free dusters so people could wipe the tell-tale sucker marks off the screens!!

MaFt

Maybe this could be a suitable job for all the PCSO's that are in support of the boys and girls in blue. Rolling Eyes Police
if1977
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:

MaFt

Just as you say that MaFt i remember going into my local Asda one day and the police had a stall at the entrance giving out cloths for what you said and also invisible ink pens to write your details on your property and is only seen under UV light, also panic key ring alarms and leaflets on how to protect your property and be safe in the car at night. I thought this was a great idea. Allthough i wish the world was a better place. Sad
GO 510 (in drawer now, time for upgrade)
dooderooni
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a stealth install for my Tomtom One.

I purchased one of the cheap cigarette lighter extensions from Halfords and wired it into the back of my cigarette lighter and then ran it under the centre console to the bulkhead in the drivers footwell. From there it's a simple case of plugging in the Tomtom power cable and running that up through the edge of the dash, below the door window line. You can't see the exposed 4" of cable from outside the vehicle when the Tomtom is not fitted as it hangs down between the dash and the door.

This placement means I can also use my works car park permit (a round vinyl sticker that's slightly larger then the Tomtom cradle sucker) to obviate any of the tell-tale sucker marks on the windscreen. Even though I never leave my Tomtom in the car there is no 'visible' clue to potential thieves that may encourage them to break the windows on the off chance.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: