Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Unable to install map
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Unable to install map

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
epoch
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 6:20 pm    Post subject: Unable to install map Reply with quote

Hi all

After weeks of banging my head against a wall before Xmas, I finally managed to get TomTom to add the W&CE maps to my account.

However, I then discovered that the map was too big for the 720.

Due to unexpected distractions, I've only just managed to avail myself of a 4MB SD card.

However, now, when I run TomTom Home, I get an error when it looks for updates:

"This item cannot be installed on this kind of device"

I haven't changed my TT account in any way.

If anyone has any idea what could be the problem I'd be most grateful! I really want to avoid another episode involving TT support!

Thanks in advance.
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Unable to install map Reply with quote

epoch wrote:

Due to unexpected distractions, I've only just managed to avail myself of a 4MB SD card.

However, now, when I run TomTom Home, I get an error when it looks for updates:

"This item cannot be installed on this kind of device"

I haven't changed my TT account in any way.

If anyone has any idea what could be the problem I'd be most grateful! I really want to avoid another episode involving TT support!

Thanks in advance.

Just a guess....when you loaded TTHome, did you signify that it should use external storage (i.e, sd card) and have you formatted the card for fat32?

Then try 'Update my TomTom'

If you've already tried the preceding, sorry, I've wasted your time.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My situation runs very parallel to yours, but I was a bit quicker.

I was assigned the "large" version W+CE map by TomTom a couple of weeks ago.
I downloaded it and installed it to a 4GB SD card with no problems, using TT Home.

It is only in the last few days that the red warnings have appeared in Home, saying the map cannot be installed on either my internal memory OR an SD card (despite the fact it is on there and working fine!).

I've actually got a question open about it with TomTom customer support, no replies yet.

Keep in touch, I'm out tonight but will investigate further tomorrow if you like - I'll try deleting it from the card and re-downloading it.

Have you actually tried installing it anyway?
epoch
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, and thanks for the replies.

I've selected the SD card for storage in TTHome, but I can't actually place a tick in the box to select the map for download.

I'll open a ticket with TT anyway, and will share info here. I won't phone them - I value my blood pressure Rolling Eyes

Cheers!
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P2002 wrote:

It is only in the last few days that the red warnings have appeared in Home, saying the map cannot be installed on either my internal memory OR an SD card (despite the fact it is on there and working fine!).

Happened to me yesterday. Didn't have my sd card in my 720 when I powered up TTHome. Said the large NA map was available and that it wasn't for my device (in pretty red Razz ). As with you, I DO already have the map (stripped down to fit internal memory but I have it).

For the hell of it, I put in my 4 gig sd card and set TTHome to look to that storage, started up TTHome again and this time, the map was NOT offered at all.

I figure the purpose of TTHome is REALLY to give users a chuckle evey time it's powered up. Every day, another laugh at the sloppy software. Mind you, haven't had a chance today to see what's up with the new software version. Have to see whether it's offered and what new set of chuckles it brings with it. Cool

p.s I wish you'd get your priorities straight. This place is like Hotel California. you can check in but you can never leave. In other words, put off your engagement for this evening ... surprised Dennis hasn't admonished you already Razz
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhn wrote:
p.s I wish you'd get your priorities straight. This place is like Hotel California. you can check in but you can never leave. In other words, put off your engagement for this evening ... surprised Dennis hasn't admonished you already Razz

Don't worry, he's for it when he gets in - he hasn't answered my post about ringtones. Where does he think he gets off?

Mind you, I'm not all that impressed with you either - chuckle at TT Home? - not even megga sarcasm can cover that!

And I too am getting the pretty red writing, but there are more important things to worry about, like sampling Shostakovich's Waltz No 2 from the Jazz Suite at 22050Hz instead of 44100Hz. Priorities gentlemen, please - I need sorting sooner than you lot - I've got less time left.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Belay that me hearties - he has replied to it - just my dang blasted ISP not passing on my notifications again!! - New signature - Soon to be Ex-BT user.

Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
like sampling Shostakovich's Waltz No 2 from the Jazz Suite at 22050Hz instead of 44100Hz.
Open the original in Audacity at 44100Hz.

At the bottom of the screen is a Project Rate (Hz) Window. Change it to 22050 and then File | Export as ...

I think that will do the trick for you. Wink

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers, Richard. I had discovered Andy's answer in the meantime and shot off to do that (same as what you've said). Put it on the 920, tried it. Doesn't work. Evil or Very Mad

Before you ask, it's in the root of the 920, it plays in Audacity when I double click it and it shows in the GO Contents for ringtones. GRRRRRRR!!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: