Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Map Download Failed
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Map Download Failed
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
iandrews
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:01 am    Post subject: Map Download Failed Reply with quote

Hi, I have a Tomtom One original version, I decided to purchase the Map of Western Europe. I connected up the unit to my computer and Home (v2) start up, and it showed that I had a Map to download. I started the download, and the status bar showed that it was going to take about 1 1/2 hours to download so I left it download and did other things. I checked several times, and the green progress bar was going up, and the remaining time was going down. Finially about 1 1/2 hours later I went back to the PC and there was a message on the screen saying something like Download failed, internal server error. There was a button to report this to Tomtom, but apart from that there was no indication as to what had happened.

Has this happened to anyone else. Do I just try again, or is there anything I should check. I have a 2GB download limit per month, so trying to download it again this month would take me over the limit, I can pay for more but don't want to do so if it just failes again. Is there anyway I can just download the file from Tomtom without having to go via Home.

With thanks.
Ian.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can only download maps via HOME but I would try again before calling TomTom. Internet glitches aren't that uncommon when downloading large files and so it's not uncommon.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd heard that the TomTom servers have been even slower than usual the last few days.
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was a common problem when the new maps were first released, and thought to be because the server was very busy with people trying to get their free upgrade within the 30 day 'latest map guarantee' period.

The server may be busy now with people buying new maps before the end of TomTom's reduced price sale at the end of the month.

I was finally successful when I started the download at 1am. Might have been coincidence, but worth trying?
Samsung Galaxy S21
TerryYa
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been having this problem as well - it gets right to the end 00:00 remaining then gives me and internal server error and a number. I've tried four times now at different times of the day, with and without my security software on.

I'm trying again now with my pc connected direct to the modem rather than through my router just to see if that makes any difference. Think I'm clutching at straws though!
TerryYa
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TerryYa wrote:
I've been having this problem as well - it gets right to the end 00:00 remaining then gives me and internal server error and a number. I've tried four times now at different times of the day, with and without my security software on.

I'm trying again now with my pc connected direct to the modem rather than through my router just to see if that makes any difference. Think I'm clutching at straws though!

Fifth time lucky - worked fine without router
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weird!

Going off topic... I'm having similar trouble with my new wireless router. NOT the wireless part, but it has 4 "ordinary" wired ports as well. If I connect the main PC via one of those, internet access is noticeably slower and certain websites need me to click on links repeatedly to get them to load. If I click once it seems to start to load the very first few kB and then stop, with a "waiting for...(website)" message.

I thought a wired router should be "almost" like a simple splitter?
if1977
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have also had problems with the TT site recently. It is taking ages for me to get into My Question History about a repair i am having carried out and sometimes thatSAM error that TT say is because there servers are taking a beating so if you are trying to download anything big i would also consider doing it during the night when it is quieter. Thats what i do and have no troubles. Rolling Eyes
GO 510 (in drawer now, time for upgrade)
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P2002 wrote:
Going off topic... I'm having similar trouble with my new wireless router. NOT the wireless part, but it has 4 "ordinary" wired ports as well. If I connect the main PC via one of those, internet access is noticeably slower and certain websites need me to click on links repeatedly to get them to load. If I click once it seems to start to load the very first few kB and then stop, with a "waiting for...(website)" message.

I thought a wired router should be "almost" like a simple splitter?

What router is it?
rogerkeyse
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all, for those of you having problems, please find email received today from Tom Tom regarding this problem. If you follow these instructions, you will be able to download and install. Make sure you disable firewall and any anti virus software whilst downloading. Problem solved. I hope this helps.

Regards
Roger

Dear Mr Keyse,

Thank you for contacting TomTom Customer Support

Please can you confirm the following:-

- Who is your Internet Service Provider
- What is your Internet Connection Speed?
- Can you confirm what version of TomTom Home you are using?
- Are you at the end of a BT Exchange?, if so you may have an unstable Internet connection
- Do you connect wirelessly to the internet? if so, your internet connection to your router may drop out once in a while and prevent the download from completing. We suggest that you connect directly to the internet via a Network cable and not via a wireless connection.
- Do you use a firewall? if so we suggest that you configure your firewall or perhaps even switch it off when you download the map.
- Are you connected to a works network? if so you may find that there are network restrictions with regards to downloads which may prevent the download

Ultimately, you will need to find a PC that has a fast unrestricted internet access. It would seem that you have an issue with your connection which is preventing the map from downloading properly.

Please also do the following:-

- Uninstall TomTom Home
- Delete the following folder 'My Documents/TomTom/Downloads'
- Download and install TomTom Home from http://www.tomtom.com/7602

- Connect the TomTom to the PC and switch it on.
- Open TomTom Home
- A list of updates should appear, if not, click on 'Update My device'.
- Download and install your Updates.

Please confirm if you are able to download your map via your computer. We also suggest that you try another computer with a faster broadband connection.

With Best Regards

The TomTom Customer Support Team
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rogerkeyse wrote:
Hi all, for those of you having problems, please find email received today from Tom Tom regarding this problem. If you follow these instructions, you will be able to download and install. Make sure you disable firewall and any anti virus software whilst downloading. Problem solved. I hope this helps.

Well, apart from any problem which downloading for three hours without antivirus and firewall might find!!

The whole thing is the usual TomTom response, namely "Dear sir, It's your own fault".

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
iandrews
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all, I got it to work. Very Happy I uninstalled home, deleted the download dir, and then re-installed home (V2.1 this time). Started the download about 22:00 (though forgot to disable virus and software firewall), and it had downloaded by about 23:30, and had installed it onto the One by about 00:00.

I notice that it has copied over the Speedcam PIO's into the new "Western Europe" dir automatically, but with the Western Europe map selected I don't seem to have my favourites. Whats do I need to copy across for that.

Thanks,
Ian.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're in a file called Mapsettings.cfg. Copying that usually does the trick. Take a Windows Explorer backup FIRST though, as some people have reported that doing so with the latest App version has given "issues".

Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pedants hat on.... its actually "MapSettings.cfg"
(I kept calling it MapSettings.dat and was rightly hauled over the coals for it, so like a reformed smoker, I now have zero tolerance! Twisted Evil )

I think it is still OK to copy it on the same machine, the issue was just if you copied from a machine without text-to-speech to one that has (or vice versa).
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Andy, I was pretty sure I'd got it wrong, but rushed it out to get the answer up and running quickly (dentist visit was only minutes away). I thought you might be still in bed after a late shift, so I'd get away with it until he replied that it had worked! Twisted Evil Plus he sounds like a nice boy who wouldn't take me to task over it.

Any chance you could post your schedule regularly so the rest of us know when we can misbehave with impunity and beat you to posting? Laughing

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: