Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - nuvi 660FM volume
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

nuvi 660FM volume

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tazmantic
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 1:19 am    Post subject: nuvi 660FM volume Reply with quote

Hi all new here and got a question, this has prob been asked but ive searched and cant find........ Ive had my 660fm just over a week now and its great apart from the volume.. its so quiet, I have to run mine on 100% and its still not that loud. Ive contacted Garmin and told them and that my mates nuvi 200 is much louder they say it should be just as loud but it aint, when my mates 200 is on about 40% its about the same as mine on 100%.. Evil or Very Mad has anyone else found this or is my unit faulty.....will try and change it but not sure if it will make any diff...

Thanks
deleted_user
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you using the TTS voices by any chance?
These are quite a bit quieter than the standard (non TTS) voices.

There is a relatively simple hack to boost the volume of the TTSvoices, described on this thread: http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=52344&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=45

I have done this, and it certainly worked for me, the voices are now much more audible.

I have changed my volume level in the vpm file to 95, as I found that there was too much distortion with it set to 99 as described in the post.

Adrian
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried this a while ago - but the voice was showing evidence of distortion with modest increases to the original number - so I set it back. I now have it connected to the AUX input on my radio and play music off the SD card. Hands-free sounds very good also!
tazmantic
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replys ill give it a go,but mine is also quiet on the standard voice and yeah works great through the stereo but I do like to listen to the radio at times and not my mp3s...

Anyway just to let you all know I exchanged the unit today and the guy in the shop said It did seem a bit quiet so thought cool he sells them all day he should know but yep new unit is just as quiet so think I will be contacting Garmin again and see if they can do an update of something to fix it..

Ill let you all know..

Thanks
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have got the volume turned up?

Touch and release the power switch - this brings up screen to adjust volume / brightness and to lock the device. Volume is not 100% by default I seem to remember.

Also FM systems generally have poor volume levels. Most of the ones you buy (eg for iPods) suffer the same problem. You need to be tuned to a clear channel - away from strong signals which can swamp adjacent channels. This gets more and more difficult esp around cities.
tazmantic
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah all volumes on 100% and it only seems quiet on the internal speaker when I listen through my radio its fine cant complane at all but I do like to listen to the radio and have the sat nav seperate, like i said a mate of mine has a nuvi 200 and his is so loud he runs it at about 40% id just like mine to be somewhere near and as I mentioned before the women at Garmin told me it should be as loud and ive checked both his and mine on the non tts voices both have the same audio version 2.30 so something seems a bit odd..

Thanks again for the reply... Cool
tazmantic
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well had a play tonight and even with the altered tts files it still was not that loud, better but I would like more.....played it through my car stereo and was good but then always has been funny thing was if I put the mp3 volume to 10% could still hear the music but with the navigation at 10% there was nothing just toooooo quiet, strange how the 2 volumes give such diff levels...... if the navigation volume control had the same levels as the mp3 volume controls I recon it would be a great piece of kit..... Come on Garmin sort the volume out it was deff much higher on the 200 model and you said in your email to me it should be as loud on the 660 so why is it not?????? only you have the answer.......

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: