Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - 520T, 720T with US Maps - or something else? (and swap maps?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

520T, 720T with US Maps - or something else? (and swap maps?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
disney_cjd
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 8:51 pm    Post subject: 520T, 720T with US Maps - or something else? (and swap maps? Reply with quote

Hi all

Some helpful advice if you would. We are selling our car which had a Ford DVD Sat Nav in it. Our new car does not have this so I want to buy a unit. I am probably going to go with a Tom Tom and like the 720 or 520 both T versions.

One thing i will want to buy extra for it is the US maps which you can get from the Tom Tom web site for 35GBP at the moment. This is a lot cheaper then buying the 920 which has them built in.

My question is though ...

How do you get the US maps on the 520 or 720? when i have changed the model for which I am purchasing these maps from the Tom Tom website it dramatically changes the downloaded file size from like 930MB for the 520 to like 1750MB for the 720.

What extra are you getting on the 720?

Also, do I have to uninstall the UK maps?

Sorry if this is a daft question but I do not seem to find the answer on the Tom Tom web site.

Thanks again
Craig
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When comparing the prices, consider you will probably also need to buy an SD card, AT LEAST 2GB size - most people would advise you to get at least 4GB and many are getting the 8GB ones. So add that to the cost of the model you are getting in addition to the extra price of the map/s.

The 920/920T has extra features for its cost too - EPT for navigating inside tunnels, they say (certainly mine comes on as soon as the roof passes overhead, but I have not yet been through a long enough tunnel to decide how good it is). And a Bluetooth remote control which finds much favour with me (the only way you can get one at present is with the 920. It's predecessor wireless version for earlier models was £30).

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I forgot to answer the other questions.

720 has Western European street mapping, 520 only has one region. You can navigate all over UK and Europe streets without changing or installing any maps. The 920 has Western and Central Europe - supposedly greater coverage of Europe (more countries) than the 720. You've already seen the mapping offers on the TT website - If you select one, it tells you what countries it covers.
Installing new maps can happen automatically providing you have enough space on your device. They are only available by download, so Broadband is essential.
You would not uninstall the UK map - a menu option is to switch maps, so you choose the North America map when you need to.

disney_cjd
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dennis

Thanks for the full answers

So if I priced up a 520T with 2gb SD and US maps and see if thats worth it over the 920T.

The only tunnel I will be going through is at Dartford Smile

Thanks very much for your help.

Are there are models maybe from Garmin or someone that I should consider?

Cheers
Craig
disney_cjd
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, done the sums....

920T is £286 from Halfords
520T, plus 4GB SD and US Maps is 176+14+35=£225

So£60 quid difference.

Question is are the added features worth £60? Is there any sites that compare all the features? I would have hoped the TomTom one would do it like Nokia does with its mobiles

Thanks
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

disney_cjd wrote:
So if I priced up a 520T with 2gb SD and US maps and see if thats worth it over the 920T.
You wouldn't get Western Europe mapping (it's closer to Dartford Tunnel than USA is!Very Happy ) and I think you might find it a squeeze to get North America onto a 2GB card.

I can't usefully comment on Garmin - I had one for a day and hated it. Other people swear by them, I just swore at it. Personal preferences.

Hoppy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

disney_cjd wrote:
OK, done the sums....

920T is £286 from Halfords
520T, plus 4GB SD and US Maps is 176+14+35=£225

So£60 quid difference.

Question is are the added features worth £60? Is there any sites that compare all the features? I would have hoped the TomTom one would do it like Nokia does with its mobiles

Thanks

Thats exactly the way I went, 520T with a 4GB card is good enough to get the USA maps on extra POI's if required for the US and still loads of MP3's to play through the car radio. The speed the GPS locks back on after going through a tunnel is not worth the extra £60 and you can buy a remote control for the 520 if required.
disney_cjd
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a-ha so I have bought the 520t for 176 (-£7 from quid co) and am now after the 4GB SD and the US Maps.

I was thinking of buying the maps for the 720 and not the 520 because they are twice as large a download and therefore have more stuff on them.

Any idea if that will work?
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

disney_cjd wrote:

I was thinking of buying the maps for the 720 and not the 520 because they are twice as large a download and therefore have more stuff on them.

Any idea if that will work?

Are you sure you've got that right?
I just checked the TT site and selected "Western Europe" for the Go720 AND the Go520 and they are both showing as 1785MB

EDIT: Sorry - ignore me! Now realise you're talking about the US maps Embarassed

Yes, there's no reason why it shouldn't work. TT might think they will run a little slower and that's why they recommend a smaller version.

If you hover the mouse over the red text on the TT map purchase page it should give you a pop-up window saying what the coverage is.
disney_cjd
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Andy

Thanks. It says the coverage ios the same so its either compression or one has more extras than the other.....

I suppose I could buy the 720 maps and if they do not work then say opps,. i meant to get the 520 ones maybe. I don't really know if they will allow it.

I tried to find a number to call Tom Tom but they look like its in the Netherlands.

Thanks again
craig
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I just checked again and the coverage maps do look exactly the same don't they.
So, yes its as others have said, less off-road detail like lakes etc and less curves on roads.

For future info the UK "support" number is:

0845 161 0009

Monday - Friday: 08:00 to 20:00 GMT
(every first Tuesday of the month: 09:00 to 20:00 GMT)

Not sure if this is ACTUALLY in the UK as the FAX number they give is a DUTCH number:

FAX - 0031 208 501 072

..and they usually speak "double Dutch" anyway! Wink
disney_cjd
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks again.

I think i will try and call them

Cheers
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

disney_cjd wrote:
I suppose I could buy the 720 maps and if they do not work then say opps,. i meant to get the 520 ones maybe. I don't really know if they will allow it.

Don't do it if you think you can tell them oops and get it put right! If you activate the map (i.e. load it onto your device), that's it. And nowadays, when you download, you install/activate all in the same session. I did this with two maps I bought, one for each of two devices, but unfortunately I didn't realise that buying and paying for them from one email address locked both maps to one device - so I had two devices, two maps, receipts for two maps, but only legally (according to them) on ONE device. They point blank refused to put it right for me and gave me the address (in Holland) to write to for complaining. The only solution they offered was for me to buy another map, this time from the correct email address!

disney_cjd
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats pretty harsh isnt it

Well I have called TOm Tom and they told me to email via the web which I have done. So far all they have said is the size is due to the internal memeory of the machines 720 having 2 gb and the 520 only 1 gig. so I asked them if i bought a 4 gig SDHC class 6 card coudl I buy the big one and they have not replied yet.

I dont want to buy the worng one but then if the others have more detail and they will work then i will get those

thanks
Craig
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

disney_cjd wrote:
thats pretty harsh isnt it

It's a cruel world when you mix with Southerners. Twisted Evil

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: