Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - home help
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

home help
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
westentertainer
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AFTER DOWNLOADING HOME AGAIN i was able to log on .but when i went to my tomtom page to see the download i noticed that it was for a tt 720 that my nephew had used my pc to download camersa how can i get it on my 910
westentertainer
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have eventualy managed to connect to tt site through home .but i found the downloaded map in ;my tomtom; page BUT inj my devices it was for a 720 that my nephew had bought and used my pc to download from tt site ,so how can i get it on my 910 ,,when i ordered map i stated clearly it was for my 910
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What device do you have registered to YOUR account (usually your email address)?
You can check on http://www.tomtom.com/plus/device.php
westentertainer
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iv just noticed its my nephews 720 can tomtom change this???
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ask Dennis N!!

The easy way (for them) is for you to start again with a new email address.
Otherwise you have to get in touch with them and send (fax usually!) a copy of your purchase receipt. It's a hassle...
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P2002 wrote:
Ask Dennis N!!

The easy way (for them) is for you to start again with a new email address.
Otherwise you have to get in touch with them and send (fax usually!) a copy of your purchase receipt. It's a hassle...

I fear you will probably find that the nice new map is locked to your nephews GO720, so anything you can do won't change that. I spent a long time trying to put mine right (I bought two maps for two devices, but with one order and email address so they both were locked to one device. Tom Tom agreed I'd bought and paid for two maps all legal and above board, but setting it all right seemed to be beyond them), but eventually gave up (and thankfully moved on to new devices).

I suggest you ring Tom Tom and try to sort it out - I won't hold my breath for your result though. Phone 0845 161 0009, Mon-Fri 8:00am to 6:30pm (UK times) and hope you don't get either of the two useless, unhelpful people I've tried to deal with during this last week - they just tried to get rid of me ASAP - you'd think they were paying for the call themselves instead of it going on my phone bill.

Bonne Chance, mon brave!!

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
westentertainer
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

many thanks ..i took the easy way created a new account and downloaded map ..hope its worth it.. so i lost 30 quid unless i can convince my nephew to buy it off me but hes tight and not a sat nav enthusiast like us all in this forum
FlyingFish
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like tomtom doesnt give you the option of downloading your maps from their website anymore, you have to do it thru Home2.

Just been looking at my account details and map purchases on tomtoms site, and although it lists my maps it doesnt give any option/link to download them Sad

Also I've just purchased latest version of UK & Ire map thru home ( all successfully ) But on the tomtom website (my account) it doesnt show any product code for my new map!! Even tho map/purchase is listed.

Whereas my old WEurope v660 map is listed and shows my product code.

I get the impression tomtom wants us to do everything thru home and thats it.

Mick
Hartsa
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a possibility to buy a new map for my 720 from TomTom website:
- Map of Western Europe v7.10 Download 1785 MB
but I need Home to install it.
What a mess with these new maps.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FlyingFish wrote:
I get the impression tomtom wants us to do everything thru home and thats it.
It's an ulterior motive. In the not too distant future, a TT News item will read .....
Quote:
Wonderful News! 95% of all Tom Tom Users are now using Tom Tom HOME to download and install maps to their devices. HOME, TomTom's acclaimed satnav management program, has grown in popularity rapidly since its introduction in 2007.
Jumping With Joy Not Worthy Clap Bouncing
In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if you could already see something like this in the latest TomTom Secrets website!
I suspect they would like us to use their Home, their cameras, POIs, Traffic and everything else and I further suspect they will move in that direction whenever possible. The day they lock pgpsw cameras and POIs out will be the day I for one abandon TomTom. Evil or Very Mad

DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I forgot to add, of course, was the 9th October announcement that Home hits 2.5 million users ...
Quote:
The TomTom HOME community continues to see tremendous growth with an additional 1.5 million users in just six months

09 October 2007, Amsterdam - TomTom, the world’s largest portable navigation solution provider today announced that TomTom HOME, its online community, has hit 2.5 million registered users across the world. This is a significant increase from the 1 million users achieved in March 2007.

“It’s amazing to see the TomTom HOME community growing so rapidly”, said Harold Goddijn, CEO of TomTom. He continues, “We believed that our customers would appreciate a service allowing them to update and personalize their navigation device. These impressive figures show that TomTom HOME is meeting this need. I am proud that TomTom HOME is finding its way to so many of our users’ PCs and MACs”.

This guy will soon be as good a salesman as Billy Gates. I wonder if he sells new maps?

Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FlyingFish wrote:
It looks like tomtom doesnt give you the option of downloading your maps from their website anymore, you have to do it thru Home2.

Are you sure?...
I didn't go as far as actually *buying* one, but the process seems to work at
http://www.tomtom.com/products/maps/select.php
FlyingFish
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this is how it goes Sad

Method1

You goto their site
buy map
download home2
install, and login with home2
download map thru home2
hope it works and goes well.

Method2

download home2 & install
shop for maps thru home2
download your purchase
hope it works and goes well

Either way I dont seem to have a product code for my latest map.
I've had a few errors and program issues with home2
The downloaded maps dont always work, it took three attempts/downloads to get my WEurope maps thru home. It would download the map and then give an error saying it could not extract the maps or something.. or bad ini file Question

Not funny when its a 900meg download each time!!! Glad I'm on unlimited broadband, but what about other folk?

At least I wont be doing this for a good while to come esp with the ability to correct map errors...

Hmmm just a thought....if tomtom/home etc...does get unpoplar or just plain crap. Does anyone know if it would be feasable to create a map corrections database... Because arent tomtoms map corrections only given to you for a year?

Mick
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P2002 wrote:
FlyingFish wrote:

Are you sure?...
I didn't go as far as actually *buying* one, but the process seems to work at
http://www.tomtom.com/products/maps/select.php
I have a sneaking suspicion he's right Andy. I too have gone almost the full distance at that site, but I have a feeling it might take your money and then tell you it will be available for download via good old TT Home, "the most popular management program for TT users". (2.5 million users can't be wrong - it's just you [and me]!!).

DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FlyingFish wrote:
Hmmm just a thought....if tomtom/home etc...does get unpoplar or just plain crap. Does anyone know if it would be feasable to create a map corrections database... Because arent tomtoms map corrections only given to you for a year?
I have a feeling in my water that TomTom will generously extend free Mapshare after the first year. It's really all one way - they get free notifications of map errors from a zillion sources which they couldn't possibly hope to match by Teleatlas mapping vans. Those free notifications from users will indicate the errors which are most important - multiple reports of the same fault will get higher priority treatment from them. Sending out free Mapshare corrections to users will be as easy as it is at present, will create the impression that we are getting something back and will encourage us to continue sending them their free map surveys!!

Maybe I'm a cynical old man. Confused

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: