Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - "Latest Map Guarantee" not working?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

"Latest Map Guarantee" not working?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 34, 35, 36  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

falkirk81 wrote:
Maybe its only there during the first 30days tho, coz my tt isnt 30days old yet.

No, I still get it after 3 months....

So, I'm in the slightly awkward position of not actually being entitled to the latest map under the original terms of the guarantee, so I can't moan about not having it.
But as some of the few people who HAVE successfully got one were over the 30 days limit AND we have at least one e-mail reply from TT saying they will release it to ALL x20 owners, so I'm keeping my hopes up!
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rjgreaves wrote:
The Latest Map Guarantee offer is only available for the first 30 days of purchase. However Map Share allows you to update your maps as you go along so there is not much point in purchasing the latest map.
With Best Regards
The TomTom Customer Support Team

This has only just fully registered with me. This support person is saying that you don't need to buy map upgrades because all the new changes will be output on Mapshare for you. That's impressive!! (and I suppose the TT map sales department will happily confirm it). So presumably the only people who need to buy maps in future are those who don't have Mapshare. What did somebody say about pigs with wings? Confused

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Hartsa
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
Does anybody know what words their automatic thingy picks up on? It looks to me as though on this occasion it has grabbed "720" and "Map" and "download". Or maybe it's just programmed to pick up on "Please"??

They have an automatic thingy which picks new solutions to the problem every day. Common to these solutions is that no one works.
fizz
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
rjgreaves wrote:
The Latest Map Guarantee offer is only available for the first 30 days of purchase. However Map Share allows you to update your maps as you go along so there is not much point in purchasing the latest map.
With Best Regards
The TomTom Customer Support Team

This has only just fully registered with me. This support person is saying that you don't need to buy map upgrades because all the new changes will be output on Mapshare for you. That's impressive!! (and I suppose the TT map sales department will happily confirm it). So presumably the only people who need to buy maps in future are those who don't have Mapshare. What did somebody say about pigs with wings? Confused

But only for 12 months. Until a new map is released in other words (they're not that stupid).

From the TomTom website;

"With your new map, you will also enjoy 12 months’ TomTom Map Share™ that allows you to receive map enhancements from the entire Map Share community."
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yesterday, I connected my TT 720 to the PC and the automatic update offered the same current US & Canada map (7.10) I already have had for about 2 weeks (a long story but a replacement I got for my North America 7.10 map [--NOT same as US & Canada] which got wiped out due to faulty instructions by TT Support regarding an issue I had back then).

Anyway, I "knew" the US & Canada map I had was the newest, so I shut down the unit, shut down tthome, powered the unit back up (in the cradle) and had TTHome start up again. This time, no offer of the same map I already had.

The point of all this is, since reading this thread, I got the idea for the heck of it to go to my Map guarantee option in TTHome...just to see what would happen. I've had the unit for 2 months now (to the day). I've had the replacement US & Canada map for, I guess, 2 weeks (not more, maybe a day or two less).

Instead of getting the message in Map Guarantee which essentially says you've had the unit over the 30 day limit so go away (or words to that effect Very Happy ), it just said, you've got the latest maps. No message about being over the 30 day limit, which I've had in the past.

So, maybe, by design or luck, TTHome measures the 30 days from the last major map download, not 30 days from the registration date in the first place.

It would seem unlikely that this is what is happening, but the lack of reference to over 30 days in my Map Guarantee message caught my attention.

Or, maybe as mentioned in earlier messages in this thread, TT software got screwed up and switched the Less Than symbol in code to Greater Than (as Anita talked about in a message and as I've seen our own developers do (I test software)) so that essentially everybody with units over 30 days old still has an active Map Guarantee option.

Wishful thinking at best but what a laugh if true.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that TT have sub-contracted out their repair work to a company in Scotland, why don't they just sub-contract their first line Customer Services/Support out to us? We can usually answer our own questions better than they can!
What we need is a direct line to "2nd level" (and above?)
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P2002 wrote:
Now that TT have sub-contracted out their repair work to a company in Scotland, why don't they just sub-contract their first line Customer Services/Support out to us? We can usually answer our own questions better than they can!
What we need is a direct line to "2nd level" (and above?)

Now THAT is the most sensible statement I've seen for a very long time - I have NEVER seen this website shoving out conflicting and plain wrong cr*p a la TomTom.

Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I noticed that the maps for purchase for the 720 seem to be Western Europe (as are those already installed on the device), while those that I downloaded were Western & Central Europe, which is only offered for purchase for the 920. I wondered whether maybe the update was no longer being offered because someone had made the wrong ones available and they'd been removed until it was sorted out.

But, I've just clicked on 'Use Latest Map Guarantee' and it's offering me W&CE maps again, while after I downloaded and installed 710 maps, it said, as I expected, that I had the latest maps. Confused
Samsung Galaxy S21
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anita wrote:
I've just clicked on 'Use Latest Map Guarantee' and it's offering me W&CE maps again

Don't rub it in..... Laughing
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aaaaaarrrrggghhh!! Girlie wins competition, gets free GO720 which works, then gets free Latest Map Guarantee download of a map for the GO920 which isn't even out yet!!

I thought I had flu, but I'm just choked off. Crying

Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P2002 wrote:
Anita wrote:
I've just clicked on 'Use Latest Map Guarantee' and it's offering me W&CE maps again

Don't rub it in..... Laughing

Sorry, Andy, I don't mean to rub it in. I only mentioned it because it shows that TomTom really have screwed up the latest map guarantee 'feature'.

I really do sympathise with those of you who can't get the new maps, and hope you get a result from TomTom soon.
Samsung Galaxy S21
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
Aaaaaarrrrggghhh!! Girlie wins competition, gets free GO720 which works, then gets free Latest Map Guarantee download of a map for the GO920 which isn't even out yet!!

I thought I had flu, but I'm just choked off. Crying

Dennis, I refer you to my answer HERE.

At least you should recover from being choked off quicker than from flu. Very Happy
Samsung Galaxy S21
rjgreaves
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fizz wrote:

But only for 12 months. Until a new map is released in other words (they're not that stupid).

but they have released a new map, so are the mapshare update noe just for 710 and not 705 anymore?

as for the updates I have submitted via mapshare, none of these appear on my map, and so have not been sent out on mapshare. (road changes, not POI changes which do appear to get updated)
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rjgreaves wrote:
fizz wrote:

but they have released a new map, so are the mapshare update noe just for 710 and not 705 anymore?

as for the updates I have submitted via mapshare, none of these appear on my map, and so have not been sent out on mapshare. (road changes, not POI changes which do appear to get updated)
I was commenting tongue in cheek. If anybody honestly believes they'll get proper map updates via Mapshare, they want their head examining! Renaming roads, marking one way systems are simple for TT to circulate. How many roundabouts and roads have "we" added or deleted? How many have been issued via Mapshare? I venture to suggest not a single one.

As a group exercise, everybody delete roundabout at N51.45232, W2.41843 which I deleted about three GO720s ago, with the comment that there is not and never has been a roundabout there, just a straightforward crossroads. I should know - I was in admin charge of the Avon County Highways depot which covered that area in 1975, travelling through it daily and many many times long since leaving the council.

So lets everybody delete it and see if it ever gets sorted BEFORE the next map we all have to pay for. It doesn't take much to "verify" this - a simple look at an Ordnance survey map, or indeed Google Earth, will prove it, but no way will Tom Tom do that and issue it as a Mapshare correction.

Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
So lets everybody delete it and see if it ever gets sorted BEFORE the next map we all have to pay for. It doesn't take much to "verify" this - a simple look at an Ordnance survey map, or indeed Google Earth, will prove it, but no way will Tom Tom do that and issue it as a Mapshare correction.
The problem with changing a roundabout, or inserting a road, is that it requires a re-draw of the Map Data and a recompile. Not something that could be done simply, like installing a POI. Wink

In the same way to put a roadblock in the middle of a section requires that the road is re-drawn as 2 separate roads (that don't actually meet).

Unblocking/blocking a road, turn left/right, etc. merely requires a data bit change in that road section's attributes.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 34, 35, 36  Next
Page 6 of 36

Jump to: