Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Problems with speed camera database using OSX 10.5 Leopard
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Problems with speed camera database using OSX 10.5 Leopard

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ashley_karyl
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 9:02 pm    Post subject: Problems with speed camera database using OSX 10.5 Leopard Reply with quote

For some strange reason the speed camera database has always been tricky on OS X from the day that this became a paid service. When it was free there were no problems. Eventually I was able to work around it by using FireFox and an old version of Stuffit that I had installed. A couple days ago I bought a new computer running Leopard the new OS and now it just won't work. All the files will copy across except the main pocket_uk_sc.ov2 for the TomTom which always comes up with a -36 error. I was only able to get that far by installing a new version or stuffit and also trying with unarchiver. The inbuilt system won't even open the folder as it is downloaded to the desktop and gives me a -1 error.

Please guys why is this such a pain in the neck on Macs? It was fine in the past before this became a paid service so I am sure you can get this right. I've now tried on Safari, FireFox and Camino all without success and wasted a good hour so far. Having to drive 350 miles tomorrow I'd like to have some warning of speed cameras. I swear the only place on the web where I have problems unzipping archives are the ones from this site.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't get Leopard until tomorrow but I do have a MacBook and MacBook Pro (two of us here are died in the wool Mac fans) and we don't have any issues with updates.

I use the latest version of Stuffit and Safari (currently v3 Beta) or Firefox. The only issue I have is with Safari where the download doesn't automatically unzip, easily fixed by a manual unzip.
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have Leopard installed and it shouldn't pose any problems that Tiger (10.4) didn't...

...have you tried expanding the .zip file with StuffitExpander?

This is a free download and the latest version available here

StuffitExpander used to be included in the OS back in the days of OS 9, but I think you have to manually with OS X.

Just download and install StuffitExpander, then all you need to do is double click on the .zip file and StuffitExpander does the rest.

By the way, the version of Safari within Leopard supersedes the beta version mentioned by Darren.

I installed Leopard on day 1 and haven't experienced ANY problems whatsoever - but this obviously isn't the same for everybody

edited: I have re-downloaded the database using Safari in Leopard and unzipped the file using the version of StuffitExpander in the above link - and all worked fine

ashley_karyl wrote:
All the files will copy across except the main pocket_uk_sc.ov2 for the TomTom which always comes up with a -36 error.

It looks like the ov2 file doesn't like being copied - if it were me, I'd re-download the database and start the unzipping process with a new, good file

Last edited by GPS_fan on Tue Nov 06, 2007 8:56 am; edited 1 time in total
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Problems with speed camera database using OSX 10.5 Leopa Reply with quote

If the new version of StuffitExpander won't expand the file that you've copied across, it's probably worth re-downloading the database and trying again - just in case something got corrupted in the process of copying from old to new computer.

However, in my experience, files, folders and applications copy across from machine to machine using the firewire connection...the only exception to this that I've seen is Norton Antivirus, which gives a 'needs re-installing' error on restart.

I work with a lot of Macs, as well as my own machines, and have substantial experience in backing up, copying and restoring data. I would therefore suggest that some other change (OS 10.2-10.3 or 10.3-10.4) occurred at around the time you say that the "problems" started.
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you manage to expand and install the database?
ashley_karyl
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eventually yes but it was very strange. I had to format the card and reinstall from a backup on the computer then it copied across OK.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: