Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Itinerary Planning (TT720)
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Itinerary Planning (TT720)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Moppy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 5:50 pm    Post subject: Itinerary Planning (TT720) Reply with quote

I would be grateful if someone could explain how to intiate a journey using the itinerary planning menu - I have worked out how to put in way points and have saved the route - the problem is that when I initiate the route it takes me to the menu for Fastest Route, Shortest Route etc.etc. and when viewed on the map it is not as planned - obviously I am doing something wrong - your help would be appreciated - this one of the main reasons I got TT720

thanks
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All TTs do the Itinerary the same.

After you exit the Itinerary Page you will always get the Fastest/Shortest/ etc/Route selection. It's how it routes between each Waypoint.

When you say 'it's not as planned', in what way?

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
Moppy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richard - This is the procedure I follow: Main Menu - Itinerary Planning - (this brings up the itinerary I planned) - Options - Start Navigation - Fastest Route - Done

The Itinerary then loads the map and the route path is shown on the map and I zoom in to see if this is the planned itininerary.

It would appear as though the TT720 just loads the fastest route and ignores the planned itinerary.

Thanks
sgould
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How did you choose the waypoints? Did you use the "city centre" option? If you did the TT interprets the city centre as a quite large area - sometimes a few miles across!!

Try setting up the itinerary using "Browse Map". Zoom in on each point to make sure that your point is on a road (or it won't plan a route) and that the point is on the correct side of dual carriageways (or you will travel along in loops to pass through that point).
Western Europe Map
Eastern Europe Map
Kenwood DNX-4210DAB with Garmin maps

Last edited by sgould on Tue Aug 21, 2007 8:40 am; edited 1 time in total
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The other point is that if your Itinerary starts at a point that is not your Current Location, the Device will immediately do a recalculation based on where you are.

When the Final, Summary, Screen of the Itinerary Menu appears tap the Details Icon and Browse Map that way.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
Moppy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Guys - Just planned an itinerary route following your reponses and the TT720 functioned o'kay. Very impressed with this feature as I can have more control on the planning of journeys.

Thank you - Ted
SimonP
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Earlier Oldboy said: "The other point is that if your Itinerary starts at a point that is not your Current Location, the Device will immediately do a recalculation based on where you are. "

Is it possible to disable this. My old TT3 s/w on an IPAQ allowed you to plan (say) the second day of a multi-day trip down France using a nominated start point in an itinerary. It looks like with my new 720 it will plot from home all the way down each time.

Thanks,

Simon

(if anyone's interested I'll post some TT720 observations).
Robin2
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SimonP wrote:
Earlier Oldboy said: "The other point is that if your Itinerary starts at a point that is not your Current Location, the Device will immediately do a recalculation based on where you are. "

Is it possible to disable this.

There is a workaround for this which Lutz Bendlin originally plotted when TTN5 dropped this feature.

First plan a short route using Advance Planning from your desired start point to some place a short distance away. Calculate the route and then start the route Demo. After that has been running for about a second, stop the demo and switch to your itinerary. You will fool TomTom into thinking it is where you stopped the demo, and the itinerary will start from that point.

Alternatively, if you are running TomTom 6 or 7, connect to your computer and use TomTom Home. Run the virtual TomTom which you can bring up on the screen, and you have the option to set your current location. This is even easier than the above workaround, but does require a computer with TomTom Home. I always use TomTom Home when I am at home, but the workaround is useful if I want to test and store an itinerary when I am on holiday

Robin
Plus a lot of other PDA GPS kit, seldom used

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: