Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Nuvi 300 car charger blows fuses
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Nuvi 300 car charger blows fuses

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Handheld GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
steb9780
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 4:53 pm    Post subject: Nuvi 300 car charger blows fuses Reply with quote

I think this issue is more an issue with my car than anything. But I thought I would post to see if anyone has had a similar problem and how they fixed it.

Basically the nuvi 300 charger is fine in my girlfriends '03 civic, the LED comes on and charges fine.

The cigarette lighter works fine in my car ('93 toyota supra). As soon as I put the charger for the sat-nav in, and switch the ignition on it blows the 1A fuse that's in the end of the charger.

Any ideas??

All help's greatly appreciated, thanks!
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did the Garmin charger ever work in the Supra? - if not I would get the socket checked out by an electrician or do it yourself using a volt meter, the center pin should be +, the outer barrel is -

It could be you car has a reverse polarity socket, unusual, but so is blowing the fuse in the charger lead when it works fine in another car - A polarity issue such as this would not affect the actual ciggy lighter itself though - Mike
steb9780
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
Did the Garmin charger ever work in the Supra? - if not I would get the socket checked out by an electrician or do it yourself using a volt meter, the center pin should be +, the outer barrel is -

It could be you car has a reverse polarity socket, unusual, but so is blowing the fuse in the charger lead when it works fine in another car - A polarity issue such as this would not affect the actual ciggy lighter itself though - Mike

Ah right thanks for that. I thought I once had it working in the Supra but I know I drove back with it running on battery. But I thought I had tried it, I probably didn't.

There is some dirt (looks like burnt on cigarette remnants) on the part of the socket, were the sprung nipple of the charger looks like it touches. Could this short it as well?
steb9780
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just thought of something here.

I wired a boost gauge into the wiring for the cigarette lighter. Could I have connected this back up the wrong way (polarity that is)? So that then the lighter would still work but the charger would blow the fuse??
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PM or e-mail me with your address and I will pop over and take a look as you are a local NW site member, I do have a DVM and know how to use it so we can make sure the socket is wired correctly, tomorrow is free as far as I am concerned but I will be Leyland/ Chorley in the afternoon - Mike
steb9780
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No need mate, don't go out of your way.

I have a meter and can have a look at it myself.

I'll have a look at it in the morning and then post up my findings
steb9780
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just an update on this, I had the polarity of the lighter socket back to front. The lighter will still work with the polarity back to front. But obviously anything that requires the polarity the right way won't work, hence the fuse blowing in the charger.

I must have connected it back the wrong way when I installed my boost gauge.

Thanks for the help!
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That wasn't a bad guess then on my part, glad to hear you sorted it though as that could have proven very costly not all automotive electronics is well designed and easily fried - Mike
steb9780
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
That wasn't a bad guess then on my part, glad to hear you sorted it though as that could have proven very costly not all automotive electronics is well designed and easily fried - Mike

Yep thanks for that. Upto that point were you said it could have been reverse polarity, I had been told that there could be crud were the nipple of the charger touches, making the charger short. That was the best of the answers.

I did already think that I may have wired it up the wrong way around when I put the dash panel back together, but someone said "no the lighter wouldn't work then". So I had to point out that he was wrong on that particular car forum. Wink

Thanks again for the help.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Handheld GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: