Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Tom Tom XL Or Go 910 Plus Maps
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Tom Tom XL Or Go 910 Plus Maps

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jrd31
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 9:13 pm    Post subject: Tom Tom XL Or Go 910 Plus Maps Reply with quote

Hi

I have a friend who was looking to buy the XL today but wanted to be able to buy either the full US or florida state maps so he could use those. Now i have read to use the us maps you have to download them to an sd card but do you also have to download the xl tom tom software to it.?

I was going to recommend the 910 for him which by the time he paid for the xl and then maps of us it would be about the same price as the 910. My other question is on the 910 does it carry the latest maps available or would my friend have to pay for an upgrade of the maps?

cheers

jase
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You would have to add the application and voice files to the USA map on an SD card, put this in the One XL and the device will boot from the card ignoring what is stored in memory, to use the UK map later just pop the SD card out. The One XL can only use internal memory OR SD Card it does not have the capability to share memory between the two locations.

The 910 is probably the better option BUT it will most likely be supplied with the older maps, I would suggest you (or your mate) talk to TomTom about this issue PRIOR to purchase and get this resolved in print their number is 08451610009 some people have been successful in getting map updates for new purchases - Mike
jrd31
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mike.

To add the application i would just use tom tom home to transfer the app across to the sd card.?

Jase
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest I would use Windows Explorer as its far more reliable and predictable, make sure you have "show hidden files" selected and "Hide file extensions for known file types" de-selected.

Copy the contents of the One XL to your PC, then copy the whole lot back to the new card, insert the card to the XL and switch it on, make sure it boots and works, then install the new USA map either via Windows or Home - I simply don't trust the Home application and only ever use it when I really have to i.e. software updates - Mike

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: