Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - I know it's my fault, but ...
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

I know it's my fault, but ...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bbear2007
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 10:46 pm    Post subject: I know it's my fault, but ... Reply with quote

Having owned a TT One before, and having just got a a 910, and having not clue one, I downloaded and tried POI Edit/Sync ...

I travel to France whenever I can, so wanted the Carrefour POI. Downloaded it, "installed" it (I think), and does it appear on my 910? No, it doesn't.

So, 2 questions; a) what am I doing wrong and b) is there a simple, burk-proof file on how to install POIs to a 910, coz some seem to have downloaded and taken, yet others do not.

Oh, and c) which French/Italian/Spanish POIs would you consider essential?

Many thanks.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum, before you do anything else PLEASE ensure you have a full back-up of the 910 on your PC this is vital, there are a number of links to information on This Page which should answer some of your questions, read the speed camera installation guides as they are the same as any other POI file.
Bear in mind there is a limit of 100 custom POI files on your device, so have you exceeded this limit? - look in the Western Europe map folder and see how many files end with the extension .ov2 - Mike
RQ
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

First thing make a backup by copying the contents of the 910 onto your computer using Windows explorer. Don't use HOME as it does not backup all files.

Using Windows Explorer can you see the Carrefour file (.ov2 and .bmp) in your map folder? The map folder will be called Western_Europe map or something similar.

In preferences have you enabled the poi?

TT1v3 6.560 1713 UK&NI 660.1199
TTG700 6.520 1387 MoWE 660.1219
bbear2007
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
Welcome to the forum, before you do anything else PLEASE ensure you have a full back-up of the 910 on your PC this is vital, there are a number of links to information on This Page which should answer some of your questions, read the speed camera installation guides as they are the same as any other POI file.
Bear in mind there is a limit of 100 custom POI files on your device, so have you exceeded this limit? - look in the Western Europe map folder and see how many files end with the extension .ov2 - Mike

Many thanks for both replies.

Ok; backup made via Explorer - check.
Look for carrefour files on 910 - check (they're there)
Look to enable them in Preferences - not there.
Check for how many ov2 files there are - 116. Ah ha, that 100 limit is a bit pants as the various speed camera updates for european countries take up a lot on their own.
Delete lots of unnecessary POIs - I think I can get through life without being directed to an Ikea again.

Reboot and ...

... success! Yay. Go me.

Thanks folks, that was great - I'll have a look through those FAQs later, but for now, super work, many thanks Smile
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One other useful way to reduce the number of POI categories is to use the "Consolidate" option when downloading the POI files, for example Fuel - why have each petrol station installed by owner when a single file containing ALL the petrol stations works just as well - the same goes for ATM's I am not bothered who owns the ATM or which bank as long as I can get cash when needed - just a couple of simple examples - Mike
bbear2007
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
One other useful way to reduce the number of POI categories is to use the "Consolidate" option when downloading the POI files, for example Fuel - why have each petrol station installed by owner when a single file containing ALL the petrol stations works just as well - the same goes for ATM's I am not bothered who owns the ATM or which bank as long as I can get cash when needed - just a couple of simple examples - Mike

Good call, thanks Mike - I'll have a look in the FAQs for how to consolidate - does POI Sync do that for me?

These devices are like a hobby in themselves Smile
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have this option on the POI Download page which can be found Here or if you want to concatenate a number of POI files you already have look at the PC software POIEdit which gives you an option to append POI files to create a single category - make sure when you save the files you create (or re-name) a bmp file to exactly match the .ov2 file otherwise you will end up with a Red Square instead of the icon - Mike
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
concatenate

lovely word....

Calling Dennis (and his new dictionary)! Laughing
bbear2007
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
You have this option on the POI Download page which can be found Here or if you want to concatenate a number of POI files you already have look at the PC software POIEdit which gives you an option to append POI files to create a single category - make sure when you save the files you create (or re-name) a bmp file to exactly match the .ov2 file otherwise you will end up with a Red Square instead of the icon - Mike

Many thanks Mike, you're a star.

One more dumb question - I find that having the speed limit of the camera I'm approaching displayed jolly useful; if I concatenate all the speed camera files into one, will I lose that? Ie does the 910 get its speed camera limit info from the file name?

Apologies for all the dumb newbie questions.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DO NOT "join together" (see the simple meaning for that big posh word - saves Dennis getting the dictionary out) the Speed Camera Files as you will indeed loose the speed information from the warnings, I was intending the use of Consolidate/ POIEdit to be for the other POI files you have say IKEA, Focus, B&Q etc could all be a single file - Mike
bbear2007
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
DO NOT "join together" (see the simple meaning for that big posh word - saves Dennis getting the dictionary out) the Speed Camera Files as you will indeed loose the speed information from the warnings, I was intending the use of Consolidate/ POIEdit to be for the other POI files you have say IKEA, Focus, B&Q etc could all be a single file - Mike

I suspected as much - pretty dumb way for TomTom to do that really, or at least dumb that they limit POIs to 100, but thanks, I'll bear it in mind.

The only reason I'd have DIY stores on my 910 is so I could avoid them Smile
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P2002 wrote:
mikealder wrote:
concatenate

lovely word....

Calling Dennis (and his new dictionary)! Laughing
Gerraway with you. I already knew about concatenate before you got out of nappies!! Lotus 123 string formula +textwordA&" "&textwordB. You wouldn't believe what I used to do with them (although I eventually - and reluctantly - progressed to a word processor add-in to 123 for writing contracts). And that so-called new dictionary you told me about only says what oxymoron means. You can't ask it what anything else means Evil or Very Mad

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: