Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Continental Speed Camersa Database
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Continental Speed Camersa Database
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
classy56
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wasn't there a member on here who had a friend who was a french policeman, and he supplied a document which in effect said they were legal in France?

I must admit to having no problems in wether they are legal or not, I always remove the database when travelling in France, as I only normally drive on autoroutes, my vehicle would be hard pushed to break wind let alone the 130kph speed limit Embarassed

To old to die young.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This Post contains a written letter and translation to the French Ministry of Transport, their answer is also posted - have a read and make your own mind up - Mike
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mostdom wrote:

The only one I know is Switzerland where it is illegal.Disscussed Here

and republic of ireland - even maps with speed cams are illegal

MaFt
mostdom
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
...have a read and make your own mind up...

I like this as it is as almost horse's mouth enough for me but this was a year ago and much can happen in a year.

Next time I drive to france I'm going to load up the poi's. I don't envisage any problems as I don't make a habit of drawing attention to myself by speeding.

It is however too quiet on the western front, and I'm sure we will find out for sure soon enough. Confused

HERE LIES PND May it rest in peace.
Navigon 7310/iPhone Navigon&Copilot
NDS
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I quote from the Daily Telegraph. I would certainly like to know what is the legal status of a speed camera database incorporated into a Sat Nav for use on the Continent. The Telegraph article states.........

There are, of course, electronic devices on sale that will give you plenty of warning of a speed trap ahead - but don't take them to France because the mere presence of one in your car is illegal, and being caught using one will result in a fine of £1,000, plus confiscation and destruction of the detector.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/main.jhtml?xml=/travel/2004/07/19/etfront1807.xml&page=3

If you are interested,please see the full article from the Daily Telegraph - Web page as above.
NDS
mostdom
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NDS wrote:
There are, of course, electronic devices on sale that will give you plenty of warning of a speed trap ahead - but don't take them to France because the mere presence of one in your car is illegal, and being caught using one will result in a fine of £1,000, plus confiscation and destruction of the detector.

That to me seems to be refering more directly to radar detectors and those road angle type things and not specifically GPS devices.

nickburt
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mostdom wrote:
NDS wrote:

That to me seems to be refering more directly to radar detectors and those road angle type things and not specifically GPS devices.

Exactly, a GPS/PDA with a set of POIs is not a detector.

A detector is a transmition device and that's where the legality comes in. Transmissions on illegal frequencies.
NDS
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with your logic, but loaded speed camera POIs on a sat nav are there for a specific purpose, to detect or warn drivers of speed cameras etc. However, I can see that devices using transmissions are illegal but all I am trying to do is to resolve the question.

" Are POI's which are loaded on a sat nav specifically to detect speed cameras, illegal in France and perhaps other Continental countries? "
NDS
nickburt
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm... but ....

If they are POIs loaded on a GPS, they can't "detect" anything, only indicate a potential or reported location.

It maybe a play on words, but, "detection" suggests a device that works out where it's "target" is by use of a reflected signal (radar) or detection of the signal (ultrasonic, infrared or other frequency) produced by the speed camera.

I think a lawyer would have a field day defending a GPS/PDA/POI user. But probably wouldn't want to take on a case for a detector (eg Snooper) user. Might be loop hole created by words, but one I'd be happy to use.

There are many things that are available to buy, but illegal to use. So it comes down to how responsible the operator is. All that's needed is a disclaimer making it clear that it "may" be illegal to use it in certain situations or countries.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nickburt wrote:

I think a lawyer would have a field day defending a GPS/PDA/POI user. But probably wouldn't want to take on a case for a detector (eg Snooper) user. Might be loop hole created by words, but one I'd be happy to use.

what use is a lawyer when you have 2 french coppers shouting at you in foreign speak armed with pistols grabbing at your sat nav?

MaFt
classy56
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

what use is a lawyer when you have 2 french coppers shouting at you in foreign speak armed with pistols grabbing at your sat nav?

MaFt

If you have 2 french coppers "shouting" at you, then having a camera database will be the least of your problems. Wink

To old to die young.
mostdom
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Consider read my last post Here.
mostdom wrote:
I just found two more web sites that confim my findings HereandHere.

Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Confirm what findings?
Those two links (both from sites advertising radar detectors!) talk about active detectors being legal in the UK. True at the moment, but likely to change (there have been discussions in parliament).

Neither of them mention the specific countries where both active detectors AND GPS-based databases are now definitely illegal (eg Eire and Switzerland).
France is still a grey area, where the letter of the law seems to allow databases but not detectors, but the law is being interpreted differently by the gendarmes.
mostdom
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy, you have just reconfirmed my point that the information that we are all refering to is crude at best, the more websites I find singing the same song, add to the possability that this is all hear say.

We all know that detectors are illegal and we believe in the most part gps devices are not. What about the ones in between e.g. road angel. which look and act like detectors but boast that they are gps related therefore legal. I think these devices are causing the problems and why plod has been, I assume, confiscating the wrong devices. The lack of hard information does not help. I think gps navigation based devices with a database of camera locations may well be legal across the entire europe but we just can't prove it!

Debate rages ever onwards!

I'm still waiting for a responce from the swiss tourist office to add some hard facts to this debate, I might resend my e-mail soon. Sad

mostdom
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just found this on another thread. Here

999tommo wrote:
...Unfortunately I received a broken window one night (bird strike - it was a big one!) and had to call the Gendarmes for insurance purposes. Whilst they were at my house, I showed them my TT1 and the camera database for France. They said they were not in the the sligtest bit interested in database type lists of camera locations on PND's as the camera locations are freely available on the net, like they are in the UK. They are however very interested in detectors or scramblers. This was in the Charente-Maritime region of France, in case it is of any interest to anyone. I am driving down to Aquitaine in July and will definately be using an updated French camera database then.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: