Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Export Favourites
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Export Favourites

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AdrianFox
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 4:42 pm    Post subject: Export Favourites Reply with quote

I recently had my TomTom GO (original model) stolen and have replaced it with a TomTom One (second edition).

How can I import the favourites from an old backup?

I have tried copying and renaming the MapSettings.cfg file from the backup, but this results in favourites being unavailable on the new unit.
andydigital44
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Copy the MapSetting.cfg file from your backup to the map directory on your new TT. The path to the backup should look something like below, if you used Home to do the backup.

C:\My Documents\TomTom\HOME\Backups\GO\Backup01\Storage\Western_and_Central_Europe
AdrianFox
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andydigital44 wrote:
Copy the MapSetting.cfg file from your backup to the map directory on your new TT. The path to the backup should look something like below, if you used Home to do the backup.

C:\My Documents\TomTom\HOME\Backups\GO\Backup01\Storage\Western_and_Central_Europe

Thanks, yes, as I mentioned in the post, I have done this and it results in me being unable to add, use or manage favourites.

I think maybe the file format has changed.
andydigital44
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you edit your post to add the last paragraph? because i swear not reading that when i was making the reply to your post Embarassed sorry if i did miss it.

As for them changing the format.... I don't think they have but i may be wrong. The Capitalisation of the file name is also very important, does your backup file look exactly the same "MapSettings.cfg"

Other than the above i'm out of idea's.
AdrianFox
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andydigital44 wrote:
Did you edit your post to add the last paragraph? because i swear not reading that when i was making the reply to your post Embarassed sorry if i did miss it.

As for them changing the format.... I don't think they have but i may be wrong. The Capitalisation of the file name is also very important, does your backup file look exactly the same "MapSettings.cfg"

Other than the above i'm out of idea's.

Sorry, no I didn't. Anyway for anyone else reading this and having the same problem, I've found out how to do it.

PoiEdit 2007 seems to do the trick. You can open the .cfg file and export it as an .ov2 for importing into TT One.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting... Never realised POI Edit could open MapSettings.cfg.

However, it lists EVERYTHING in it, Home Location, Favourites, Recent destinations etc. The one I just tried from a backup had 63 entries and I only keep about 5 locations as favourites!
Presumably POIEdit converts them ALL to basic POIs that you then have to sort out back into their relevant places?

As AndyD says though, just copying MapSettings.cfg has always worked for me (and others), so long as the name is exactly right and it hasn't ended up with a double extension or anything like that.
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P2002 wrote:
I think it came in after POIEdit V4.5 at the end of last year. Smile

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
AdrianFox
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P2002 wrote:

However, it lists EVERYTHING in it, Home Location, Favourites, Recent destinations etc. The one I just tried from a backup had 63 entries and I only keep about 5 locations as favourites!
Presumably POIEdit converts them ALL to basic POIs that you then have to sort out back into their relevant places?

Yes indeed. Actually I just deleted the ones I didn't want from within POI Edit and saved the rest to an .ov2 files. Also this has the advantage of allowing you to keep any existing favourites recent detinations etc, on the new device.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: