Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Creating a Multi-stop Trip
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Creating a Multi-stop Trip

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bobren55
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 9:39 pm    Post subject: Creating a Multi-stop Trip Reply with quote

Hi,
This may have been asked before but here goes.
Is there any way to get a route planned on Autoroute for example into a iCN 530 as a route?
I can create a route in Autoroute 2005 save the file with XX.axe suffix and use "itnconv" to make it into a XX.csv which I can add to the icn 530 as POI file
Then I can use the list of waypoints in the POI file to create a Multi-stop Trip by selecting each one in turn, which is not much better than doing all on the Navman screen. Sad

Is there an easier "One Step" way of making the POI file into a Multi-stop Trip?

Thanks
Bob R
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Creating a Multi-stop Trip Reply with quote

bobren55 wrote:
Hi,
This may have been asked before but here goes.
Is there any way to get a route planned on Autoroute for example into a iCN 530 as a route?
I can create a route in Autoroute 2005 save the file with XX.axe suffix and use "itnconv" to make it into a XX.csv which I can add to the icn 530 as POI file
Then I can use the list of waypoints in the POI file to create a Multi-stop Trip by selecting each one in turn, which is not much better than doing all on the Navman screen. Sad

Is there an easier "One Step" way of making the POI file into a Multi-stop Trip?

Thanks
Bob R

I don't know of one, but maybe someone will come up with an answer. However, it seems a long winded way of doing it. Why not just key in the route using the multi-stop option on the Navman itself? You could always plan it first on Autoroute if you dont want to follow the Navman's selection. Wink
bobren55
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Gee Pee,
In fact creating the POI list and converting it doesn't take long. Its just entering all those POI's into a Mult-stop trip.

My main reason for wanting to do this is when travelling across France towing a caravan.
I plan to sit with my laptop the night before and plan the following days journey by the route I want to take, not what Navman wants!!
This would generally be on the N roads staying off the autoroutes unless they are free of get round major cities.
The alternative is just use an map book to select the route and then create the Multistop trip on the Navman.

Anyway we will see if anybody out there has done it??

Bob R
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite understand Exclamation I do something similar myself when I Motorcaravan across Europe, but I merely set the options to steer clear of Motorways and set my next day's destination in the Navman, check the route against a map and go for it. If I were also to use MS Autoroute, and if I were not happy with the route, I could always click and drag the route to my satisfaction. Anyway, lets see if some bright spark can come up with something to your satisfaction. Wink
Gee-Pee
DRP
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
I have not had any success with multi trip especially in France. Last year we disembarked at Calais to our first way point. As I know the Calais area very well the GPS was doing things that were not correct, example sending me the wrong way to where I needed to go. So we abandoned it and having the way points in favourites, I used that method instead, without any problem. I can do without any hassle especially towing a caravan.
As discussed on other threads, this year I will take my laptop. I have Autoroute 2007 with GPS antenna. I have my route already planned and saved; down to Nice (will be there for the Monaco GP). My navigator (the wife) will have the laptop instead of a hard copy map, as she plots our route as we travel, this will give her a live status any time. My 510 will still navigate us and the laptop will be backup.
Regards
DRP

Mio M400 WEU, N60I, T1, 2x B2, iCN 510 & lots more
bobren55
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi DRP,
Thanks for that input. So you are saying creating a Multistop trip did not work in France. Can I ask, typically, how far apart were your waypoints and was there more than one route to get to each point from the previous one?

We go over at the beginning of June for 3 1/2 weeks so i will give it a try using the map book to plan the overall route and then pick waypoints on the Navman along the route at critcal points.
I have just invested in the latest pan europe maps for the 530, bought them at the Sandown GPS Expo and save £20 off the list price ---- Worth the trip!!

Thanks again

Bob R
DRP
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bob
I set up my multi stop as over night stops. It did not work for me I may have done something stupid? Using my GPS on a daily bases with work I have a good understanding of how it works. We tend to stick to the toll roads as we have been caught out in the past, very low on fuel, as the French tend to have very long lunch breaks and are only open for a few Hrs on Sundays, so be warned. Services are about every 40km and don’t shut for lunch.
Last years trip went like this.
From home to Dover.
Disembarked at Calais and headed for Langres, about 350 miles.
Next day down to Avignon, 400 miles. This was our major stop.
Back up to Chalon sur Saone for 4 nights. 400 miles
Then back to Calais for the ferry. 400 miles.
The mileage is approximate.
As I said I had these in favourites as well as multi stop. So abandoned multi stop, and just navigated as normal each day putting the next favourite and navigating as normal.
This is how I will do this years trip.
Regards
DRP

bobren55
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Drp,
I would typically put a waypoint every 10 miles if it is a straight road and closer together if going round a major city. For example to make Navman take the autoroute round Orleans.
Coming down the N20 above Orleans and wanting to take the autoroute to the west of Orleans, just above and leave it just below back onto the N20.
I would plot about 6 points to achieve this.

It then guarantees that the correct route will be followed and of course the instructions for that route. It will save my wife doing the detailed navigation as she has done in the past.
Maybe you left too much of the navigation to Navman, I know exactly where I want to go, I really just want the spoken guidance enroute.

Bob R
DRP
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bob
If you cross reference your Autoroute directions with the GPS directions, the route would normally be the same. This is normally what I do; I have not had any problems to date.
Regards
DRP

DRP
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bob
Just had a thought, how have you got your preferences set up. I have mine set up as:-
Route type, mid setting.
Preference for Motorways, full RHS (more often).
Preference for urban roads, mid setting.
I have found this setting good as it dose not send me up any lanes with grass growing in the middle!
So hopefully we should not get any problems in France. Did not have any routing problems on other trips, except last year when I tried multi stop.
By playing around with these settings you may get the same route without forcing the GPS to follow the way points.
Regards
DRP

bobren55
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi DRP,
Just had a look at my settings. They are the same except I have motorways as less often.
I will let you know how it goes.

Bob R
DRP
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bob
Using my GPS daily, it came to me today?
Try checking avoid toll roads. It may also aid you in France with the motorway network tolls.
The only toll I come across is the Severn Bridges, having checked avoid toll roads, when in the Bristol area and I select navigate to home, it still wants to navigate me on the M4 and over the Severn Bridge. Not up the M5 to Gloucester, then down the M50, A40 as I would have expected. So I have given up on that one, but I have read on this forum that it works for the London congestion charge, or did I dream it?
Regards
DRP.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: