Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - GARMIN c510
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

GARMIN c510

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Handheld GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chrisb80
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:25 pm    Post subject: GARMIN c510 Reply with quote

Hi everyone, I asked this question last week and didn't get any replies.
Can someone tell me should I be able to get voice warnings of cameras downloaded from PGPSW on my c510. I do not get voice with the Garmin camera database either.
Or is this model not able to.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can use wav files for poi voices with the beta poi loader but not sure which units are compatible. i know the nuvi's are and the i3 isn't but not sure on the 510 - feel free to try it!

MaFt
chrisb80
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 11:18 pm    Post subject: Garmin c510 Reply with quote

Thanks for replying MaFt. as a newcomer to this technology I don't undestand about wav files and beta poi loaders, can you put me in the right direction, thanks.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can download voice files here: http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/tomtom-ogg-files.php

but you will need to use software such as 'audacity' (free) to convert them to 'wav' files. simply open the downloaded 'ogg' files in the software and save them as 'wav'.

make sure the names are the same as the speed camera files but with the .wav extension instead of the .csv and the .bmp (icon).

then using this version of poi loader: http://www.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=1673

install the poi's (make sure ALL csv, bmp and wav files are in the same folder.

you should then have voice alerts.

MaFt
chrisb80
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 7:50 pm    Post subject: GARMIN c510 Reply with quote

Thanyou for the tuition MaFt, I'll give it a try.
chrisb80
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 8:59 pm    Post subject: Garmin c510 Reply with quote

Hi MaFt, sorry to be a pain but I downloaded the files to my desktop in zipped folder I also downloaded Audacity, so far so good. But there I got stuck. I unzipped the folder to my desktop and then tried to import to audacity. I have a very limited knowledge of this sort of operation and could not get the files to import, only one at a time, or do I leave them zipped at this stage. I cannot work out how to save as wav if I do manage to import, can you give me a bit more tuition please. Incidently, if I eventually manage it am I right in thinking I must gather all my previous pois and speed zoned cameras, that I already have on my c510, with the voice files into one folder and then download the whole thing as one in the beta poi downloader? I appreciate your help but I'm not really au fait with some of the technical terms you boys use i.e. ogg, wav,bmp files etc. thanks in anticipation.
chrisb80
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 8:37 pm    Post subject: GARMIN c510 Reply with quote

Have finally managed to convert ogg to wav in Audacity. I put these files in a folder along with other pois and the speed zoned set. I downloaded the whole folder, with the beta poi loader, into the c510, but still get no voice warning, only the bleep as before. The wav files all show up in the folder seperately and all speak voice when I click on, but they do not show up anywhere in the garmin . Is there something else I should be doing, or have I got to accept it is not going to work on this model. The only thing I can think of is have I got to somehow mix the wav file into the corresponding speed zoned file in the folder before downloading via the poi. Any help would be appreciated.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Handheld GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: