Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom 910 database confusion
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom 910 database confusion

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
isdoo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:11 am    Post subject: TomTom 910 database confusion Reply with quote

Hi,

We have two TomTom Go 910's - I set one up last week and installed what I thought was the speed camera database - all seemed to have installed ok - including the software to run it within TomTom.

Today I decide to check for updates and also download it for the other TomTom and can't find the same thing.

What I have found are loads of ov2 files - I did not download these before.

Have...

a) I downloaded the wrong thing last time?
b) I have not downloaded the correct application this time (if so where is it?)
c) I was correct before and need to find the correct application file, and all these OV2 files need to be uploaded to update the database.

Sorry - but I am very confused Sad I did find a thread before to install on the 910, but I cannot find that now.

Could someone please guide me as to what I have done wrong before or what I am doing wrong now.

Many thanks.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which POI, is its just the speed camera files, are they the ones from Pocket GPS World or the pre-installed TomTom ones, can you list a couple of the file names to make sure?
The guide to installing POI (cameras) for the 910 can be found Here you would do the same to install any other type of POI file though - Mike
isdoo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks - that is what I just found - however it is not what I installed last week.

What I installed last week gave me an extra icon on the screen in which I can set the bleeping warning for cameras on my side, the other side and bi-directional (and also temporary speed traps etc.). It was also linked to a map page on this site showing the positions of all the cameras etc.

This appears to be different.

Hence my confusion Sad

Thanks.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you are confusing the POICapture add on that is used to record the position of cameras with the actual camera POI - you have the link for the camera POI installation, for POICapture downloads and installation instructions please see Here - Mike
isdoo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mike.

It was the POICapture Embarassed

Mind you this seems to alert me to all the speed cameras - so not sure why one would need the ov2 files.

Unless I am missing something obvious ;)

Thanks again.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless you have installed and configured the speed cameras in accordance with the user guide I linked to earlier what you will be getting are beeps from the 910 when it detect a camera in range from the TomTom speed camera database which is pre-installed to the device from new.
Firstly the data is nowhere near as comprehensive or upto date when compared to the Pocket GPS World Speed Camera database, secondly you cannot configure the actual warnings in terms of distance and alert, noise, spoken or via the 910's excellent Text To Speach system - something users of the PGPSW database take for granted.
The choice is yours, stick with the TomTom offering, or switch to what is widely recognised as the best - Mike
isdoo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah - that explains it - I didn't realise that I was seeing the default ones - it was pretty up to date - but I guess not as up to date as the one from here.

Thanks again.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: