Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Origin Technologies
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Origin Technologies
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 16, 17, 18  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
craigpenton
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

westewoo tells me that the old Origin B2 charger works a treat.

All we now need then is the exact output of that charger.

Westewoo? :D
MrTee
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

:P Hi Forum, In reply to the questions about the Pogo Drive. Firmware updates will (I know) be deployed from the FTP server when you update. This is under test. When you install your client software, you'll note the version is 1.0.0.1; allow the updated version to download; 'Quit' the update program when it is brought to the front of the upgrade install and then finish. When you restart the program it should be version 1.0.0.2. As for Firmware; the current version is 19th March. (1,0,0,1). The in house charger is available from Origin, it's £14.95 Inc p&p. Forum, if I can answer your questions I'll do my best. MrTee. :D
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt it needs 12v. The 12v cigarette charger will need 12v but inside that is voltage reducing circuitry that drops this to 5v. Never heard of such a device requiring 12v at the device itself!
BBQKing
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooops, my mistake! Power ratings was never one of my strong points.
craigpenton
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrTee wrote:
:P Hi Forum,

Hi Mr Tee and welcome! ... spotted your posts over on Tyresmoke.net :D

You appear to be well versed with what Origin are up to. You an employee or just someone "in the know"?

Is there an FTP site currently available because I would love to update my firmware but don't have the updater software with me?

Cheers!

Craig
westewoo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 4:53 pm    Post subject: pogo drive. Reply with quote

hi gang. as mr tee has said, use the updated software, and jobs a good un. the charger for the internal battery, is 12 volts, as ive had the multi meter on this, and its the same in the car +/- 1 or 2 volts depending on what your altinator is doing :D
has anyone else tried there old b2 antenna, in there pogo drive?
i have and it works a treet, but i sent one to craig, and he says it wont fit his :x is it possible there are 2 baches available, with slightly diffrent plugs?
BBQKing
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I updated my PogoDrive today with the 19th March firmware - I will test it out tomorrow as I am back down in Enfield for a while.

Firmware update (for the moment) is to simply copy the new files received on to the 1st drive shown when the PD is connect to your PC/Laptop via USB. It will overwrite the existing files. Once copied ensure you give it another 30 seconds so that ALL disk writes have completed otherwise there is a strong possibility of corruption.

BB
craigpenton
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right,

I've got home and sure enough I get two drives showing in Windows Explorer now :D

I have applied the firmware update (as explained in BB's previous post) and sure enough my unit now shows March 19th :D :D

Unfortunately the one mapping quirk I notice between work and home is still the same. It hasn't crashed in the last 10 minutes though so fingers crossed Wink

Anyway, if anyone wants to try the update you can download it from my site here: http://www.thepentons.com/pogo2003.zip.

Please follow instructions in the previous post from BBQ and you do this at your own risk!

Craig[/url]
BBQKing
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to pick up from my post about firmware updating and craigpenton's post previous, it is worth while making a backup of this 1st drive prior to copying over the files from the new firmware.

Its as easy as creating a folder somewhere on your PC/Laptop, copy ALL files from the first drive of the PogoDrive to this folder, then copy the files of the new firmware to the PogoDrive. At least if things go wrong, you have a backup to hand.

This same backup procedure can also be applied to the 2nd drive of the PogoDrive - this drive contains the maps!!

BB
Snoopydog
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Nuttynurse for your detailed report, it was really helpful.
I have resurected my Ipaq 2210 with tom tom 5 and downloaded the pgpsw camera database to it and I am going to run this alongside my DS with the pulsemaster until I can decide if I should change to the Pogo Alert.

I shall be interested in following your reports of how you are getting on whith your Pogo.

Snoopydog
nuttynurse
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Snoopydog,

Glad to have been of assistance.
royevans
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 1:35 pm    Post subject: PogoDrive Reply with quote

I have had a Pogodrive over the weekend and it has been returned to the distributor today. I was very disappointed with it as the satnav was nowhere near as good as Tomtom One. I had hoped to ditch my origin B2 and tomtom and have one unit on display in the car but as someone mentioned previously, combined units are currently weak in either the satnav or speed camera area. These are the negatives,

1. The screen is not anti reflective and is not bright enough. Today it was quite a sunny morning and I couldn't see the screen at all.
2. There is no option to avoid a road on the given route.
3. No option to travel via a chosen road/route/POI.
4. No QWERTY keyboard
5. When planning a route there is no option to travel from 'home' so you have to input the post code every time.
6. No low battery warning so the unit cuts out when you don't expect it to.
7. No itinerary planning option.
8. The direction arrow seemed to run parallel to the road in built up areas so it looked as if you were travelling in a field sometimes.
9. Slow satellite lock with frequent dropped signals.
10. Not enough warning before a route instruction. Tomtom gives two mile warnings on a motorway, Pogo gives one mile which is not long enough especially when there is a lot of traffic about.
11. If you go to the settings menu when navigating you have to input the destination all over again.
12. power button does not need to pressed for a couple of seconds like the Tom tom so it's easy to accidentally switch it on or off.

I hope this helps
craigpenton
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: PogoDrive Reply with quote

royevans wrote:
1. The screen is not anti reflective and is not bright enough. Today it was quite a sunny morning and I couldn't see the screen at all.
2. There is no option to avoid a road on the given route.
3. No option to travel via a chosen road/route/POI.
4. No QWERTY keyboard
5. When planning a route there is no option to travel from 'home' so you have to input the post code every time.
6. No low battery warning so the unit cuts out when you don't expect it to.
7. No itinerary planning option.
8. The direction arrow seemed to run parallel to the road in built up areas so it looked as if you were travelling in a field sometimes.
9. Slow satellite lock with frequent dropped signals.
10. Not enough warning before a route instruction. Tomtom gives two mile warnings on a motorway, Pogo gives one mile which is not long enough especially when there is a lot of traffic about.
11. If you go to the settings menu when navigating you have to input the destination all over again.
12. power button does not need to pressed for a couple of seconds like the Tom tom so it's easy to accidentally switch it on or off.

Hi Roy and welcome! Smile

Good list and I suspect that will help many people! I pretty much 100% agree with your findings (in fact the only I would disagree with is 1- I've personally not had any difficulty viewing the screen ... YET.)

I currently don't have a GPS antenna and require one for my car so I'm a little worried about 8 and 9 Crying or Very sad . In particular I had noticed 8 already but had put it down to poor GPS signal in my car. Anyone else have this problem?

I would hope that several (well "all" I guess!!) of these issues will get addressed in newer firmware (I've been told there is a lot still going in the development) but even if they aren't I would still personally recommend the PogoDrive for people primarily after a speed camera detector. The "Safety Only" functionality is the best I have ever used by a considerable margin. The points you mention are somewhat annoying but will get me from A to B on the rare occasion I need SatNav.

Craig
royevans
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Craig,
I sent the same list to Dave at Origin who promised to forward it to the developers so you never know there may be some changes. I even suggested they adopt some of the best aspects of Tomtom into Pogodrive. Imagine the excellent Origin B2 combined with Tomtom satnav, probably the best unit ever don't you think?
Origin also mentioned that they had another product in development which will be out in about three months. Apparently it will have traffic info and instant updates to the camera database. I'm looking forward to seeing that.
nuttynurse
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To date I haven't had the problem with my Pogo losing its sateliite lock once it has obtained one that is.

I find the directional arrow is pretty well o.k. most of the time. May on occasion be slightly of line though this is just whilst the map is orientating itself into the right plane. The route you are being navigated on is always orange so generally easy to follow. The road priority can be misleading, i.e. telling you to bear left whilst infact it may be a junction you need to give way at.

I knew when buying the Pogo the Satnav side would be the "Weakest Link" Darren was right in his knowledge of such things, but it does get you from A to B, though regardless of what option you go for "quickest, shortest or most economical" the route seems to remain the same. I also find that satnav side always wants to take me back to a road on its original route planning calculation when ever I have taken a detour and even if I am on a parallel heading using a B road it will still try and steer me back to an A road adding miles to my journey.

I agree with royevans on many of his points but particularly on point 11. Having to reset your navigation route each time you go to a different menu is annoying. My biggest gripe is that I cannot hear the directional voice once I start getting to speeds of 50, 60, and at 70 forget it. Certainly no point having the radio on or having the window open.

How much scope is their for new menu options to be added? Is there the scope for the Navteq maps to be updated in the newer firmware updates with additional mapping options for instance?

Like craigpenton, I like the Camera detection side of things on the Pogo just a pity it lacks Mobile Sites, I just fail to see why these were left out. I see BBQKing is considering purchasing a Laser Pro Park perhaps I will need to do the same if Pogo Drive is not going to include timely warnings of these sites. I would like to see an option for the Full Screen Camera warning to show temporarily in satnav mode as well as the small screen warning.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 16, 17, 18  Next
Page 10 of 18

Jump to: