Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Just got a Nuvi 300 and have a couple of questions/issues
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Just got a Nuvi 300 and have a couple of questions/issues

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
couzo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 10:03 pm    Post subject: Just got a Nuvi 300 and have a couple of questions/issues Reply with quote

Thanks to all the input on this site I decided to buy the Nuvi 300 and it great but i have a few questions/issues

1. The speedo on the unit seems to be about 5 mph slower than my cars actual speed can this be adjusted to match more with realtime speed?

2. No where in teh manual does it say you can plug the back mini usb plug into a pc. Would this charge but still mean the screen is accessible?

3. I have downloaded the software for it from Garminn but the Gstart does not detect the 300 is this i known problem or software that is not compatible?

4. Is the TMC GTM12 worth the money in peoples opinions or is just something else to clutter the car with if you do not do a ton of driving?

5. Warning distance for speed cameras. Can you reduce the distance you get warnings?

I think thats all for now Smile

Again many thanks PGPS your site rocks Smile
couzo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yes one more thing to make it point number

6. How do I download all the poi from here and transfer them without causing my unit to crash when i press to to use the files i transfered onto an sd card
tynecomp
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 10:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Just got a Nuvi 300 and have a couple of questions/issue Reply with quote

couzo wrote:
1. The speedo on the unit seems to be about 5 mph slower than my cars actual speed can this be adjusted to match more with realtime speed?

The Nuvi is almost certainly more accurate than your car speedo. By law car speedometers cannot underestimate the speed and hence are designed to overestimate the speed typically by 5 to 10%. The Nuvi will be acurate to better than 1% (on level ground).
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 11:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Just got a Nuvi 300 and have a couple of questions/issue Reply with quote

1. Answered already.
2. You can, but it will only charge the Nuvi, it will not allow access to the Nuvi from the PC.
3. Yes, known - don't worry about it, everything else should still work.
4. When (and where) it works it is very useful, however, please read and search the forums, it has it's problems. A GTM10 may work better, if you can permanently fit it.
5. If you mean the Garmin safety camera database, then I do not believe you can alter it. If you mean the PGPSW one, then yes, you can tweak the settings when you upload the files.
6. You can't download *all* the POIs from here - this will take the Nuvi over the limit of 257 separate CSV files (or categories within the Custom POI menu on the Nuvi). If you limit the number of files then it should work fine.
couzo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

with regards reducing hte distance for speed camera alerts i have searched and cannot find how to do this Sad any help on this would be great
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are using the Garmin database, you can't change the distance.

If you are using POI Loader, then you need to leave Express Mode and go into the Manual Mode and follow the instructions.

If you are using Ash's utility, you can reset the distances by changing the number of seconds as shown on the screen.

Personally, I find the Express Mode settings pretty good - if you want to change them, you might find it easier to search this forum for Ash's utility (it's a sticky at the top of the forum) which gives you better control over the settings (and it remembers the settings). It also can be set to automatically download new versions of the PGPSW database for you.
NYCSavage
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 12:39 am    Post subject: Re: Just got a Nuvi 300 and have a couple of questions/issue Reply with quote

tynecomp wrote:
couzo wrote:

The Nuvi is almost certainly more accurate than your car speedo. By law car speedometers cannot underestimate the speed and hence are designed to overestimate the speed typically by 5 to 10%. The Nuvi will be acurate to better than 1% (on level ground).

I would have to disagree with this!!!

I looked at my fastest speed on my Nuvi 300 and it registered as 597mph!!!

Surely this is slightly outside the 1% you mention as I drive at the legal 70 miles per hour ;)

Screenshot
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a few scenarios that can cause a large max speed:

1. You used the Nuvi in an aircraft, and it's actually telling the truth.

2. There was a momentary glitch in the GPS, which sent it off elsewhere, and then then quickly back again - this would cause a large speed, but apart from 1 temporary glitch, the rest of the time it will still be more accurate than your car speedo.

3. There was an actual real large movement in the GPS - eg a long tunnel, where it snapped back to the correct position having lost signal, and again, there would be a short error, and then the speed will be accurate again.
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another explination could be electronic interference from some outside source.

I have a handlebar mounted Garmin GPSII+ on my bicycle which is also equipped with a cheapo wireless speedo (fork mounted unit transmits at 27Mhz to head unit on handlebar).

Mounting them side by side kept giving me inaccurate speed readings on the GPS. Moving them to opposite sides stopped this. I kept getting 90+ mph as a max speed. Difficult to explain as the GPS s/w should be checking checksums etc - but it was very reproducible.
NYCSavage
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im thinking my reason was that it lost the signal so thought I had stopped, then found me a few meters/miles down the road and so calculated that I was driving like a madman.
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't have expected that to be the cause as the position fixes are accurately time-stamped therefore it can tell how long it took to get from A to B. Loosing a signal for a few seconds is an known, recurring, issue with GPS systems.

It's more likely to have been some sort of local anomaly causing a larger than usual error in the position determination. Could have been some atmospherics or reflected signal or very poor satellite configuration, for examples.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: