Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - USA map for ICN 550
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

USA map for ICN 550

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MR1967
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 9:03 pm    Post subject: USA map for ICN 550 Reply with quote

Anyone know if I can get a USA map for my 550 and if so, where? Navmans own site draws a big zero!

Many thanks.

MR1967
I'll always take the roundabout way.
MR1967
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Further to my earlier posting I contacted Navman and first of all received a reply that suggested I needed to access the menus on my 550 and set it to use US mapping which Navman said was already on my unit. When I did this no USA maps were listed even though the Navman website states they are. I emailed again and got the following response:

Thank you for contacting the Navman Team.

I apologize for the incorrect information I have given you. I was mistaken and didn’t realize you were from the UK.

Regarding your icN550, this unit was a limited addition release. With the icN550 that was sold in the UK the only maps that was featured in them were Western Europe and the UK. Unfortunately it is not possible to purchase any other maps for this unit.

I hope this has explained why it wasn’t possible to change the region to the United States on your iCN550.

My question now is, can maps off a US/Austrailian sourced 550 (which has the US maps) be moved via SD card across to a UK 550 and if so any ideas where I could get hold of the data?

Ever hopeful

Mark R
robertn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Short answer is no. The maps are protected by registration keys and without a set of valid keys, it would not work. Navman are not providing these keys for 550's, even though they could if they wanted.
MR1967
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks for the reply. My short answer - "O Cock!" Sad

Perhaps I should have got a Tom Tom.

Cheers anyway.
robertn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a read on these forums on the cost of maps anyway - many people suggest EBay'ing the old device and buying new when upgrading.

In your case you may be cheaper to buy a US unit for your trip and ebay it when you have finished with it than buy maps. It would probably be cheaper to buy a US unit on Ebay (or an older unit at a discount outlet) than US maps (if they were avalible) in the UK.
MR1967
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers for the advice Robert. I will give it a go. :D

Mark R
TheM
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MR1967 wrote:

Regarding your icN550, this unit was a limited addition release. With the icN550 that was sold in the UK the only maps that was featured in them were Western Europe and the UK. Unfortunately it is not possible to purchase any other maps for this unit.

My question now is, can maps off a US/Austrailian sourced 550 (which has the US maps) be moved via SD card across to a UK 550 and if so any ideas where I could get hold of the data?

550s sold in Europe have EU maps only; 550s sold in US have US & Canada maps only. However, Australian 550s have EU, US, Canadian and Australian maps all pre-installed! When Navman stopped selling 550 in Europe and US they made a special Australian edition with almost all maps they had (not all though -- I think New Zealand is missing, maybe more). If you can find Australian 550 on eBay get that one -- those units probably have the best pre-installed map coverage ever! (AFAIK) Unfortunately, although this special edition 550 was released after 530, its software got none of the 530's improvements and fixes, which is a real shame.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: