Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Question regarding BT reciever Holux sli 240 and Ipaq
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Question regarding BT reciever Holux sli 240 and Ipaq

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ktmoxford
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 12:02 am    Post subject: Question regarding BT reciever Holux sli 240 and Ipaq Reply with quote

Hi,

I am using a blue tooth reciever Holux slim240 with an Ipaq 2210, software installed is TomTom 5 and Memory-map.

Could anyone tell me why I need to configure TomTom connection using "other Cable NMEA GPS" baud rate 38400 and not "Other bluetooth gps"

and when using Memory-Map using Manufacturer NMEA and not SIRF as you would expect.

It appears to work ok, it just took a long time to figure it out!!
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you update your TomTom Navigator software to the last version 5 released (5,21) you should indeed be able to use the other Bluetooth selection for connection to your GPS within the TomTom application.

You ask why do you select NMEA in Memory map? well the GPS unit outputs data in NMEA protocol, the fact that it uses a SiRF chipset doesn't mean it will only output a single data type. NMEA protocol is more widely used by applications and hardware than other data standards, to be honest I would leave it set to NMEA all the time unless when walking you want to switch of the SN (Static Navigation) - in which case a quick swich to SiRF mode turn SN off/ on as applicable (on for driving off for walking) then switch back to NMEA to use your programs with GPS - Mike
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would leave static navigation OFF at all times if you intend to do any walking with your GPS. It's a pain to have to keep switching between the settings.

Having it set OFF is only a problem when in stationary situation and you want to log distance travelled. For most traffic navigation situations this isn't a problem. And it is only a 'problem' with poor satellite configurations where there is more apparent wandering when stationary.

For walking there is really no option. With it set ON your reported position may not be accurate if you are travelling slowly (which is the speed I always travel when out walking Smile )
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil, I use a little application that can be found HERE to toggle the SN On/Off - I should add it works fine with WM2003SE but it fails when using WM2005, its a small application that is easy to use and offers the best of both worlds when using a single device for automotive/ walking - Mike
ktmoxford
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks very much for the explanation mikealder, I will be using Memory-map for trail riding so will only be stationary for the odd "breather" and when I come off Sad .

One more question even with BT turned off on the PDA, as soon as I start the TT or MMap application it switches BT on and starts searching for BT devices, is there any way of stopping it doing this? It's a bit of a pain especially on MMap.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Using Memory Map I find the easy way is to wait for the warning and simply OK it to get rid of it, it shouldn't bug you again (until the next start up).
TomTom is a different one, the easy way is to reset the settings for another device (non Bluetooth - try Other NMEA device and set it to com 1) - but you will have to put the Bluetooth settings back in to use the program correctly.
The easy way is to switch the GPS unit on before you start any application that needs GPS, even without a valid signal the PDA will be quite happy and won't report GPS missing, it simply won't show your position.
As for advice on staying on the trail rider not my scene, although it sounds like a painful way to take a breather Wink - Mike
ktmoxford
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok thanks Mike,

I have downloaded the toggle programme. I have tried to use it but get the message "Failed to communicate with GPS Please check the COM port and Baud rate selection.

When I connect to the reciever I use Com port 8 and a Baud rate of 38400 but setting to this doesn't help. I have also tried the default setting Com1 but still no luck, should I be connected to M-Map at the time or does this not make a difference.

Thanks

D
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You shouldn't be running any other GPS related software when you switch the SN on or off. Just make sure the GPS unit is connected to the PDA via bluetooth. - Mike
ktmoxford
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again Mike, that seems to have done the trick.

What affects should I expect to see and when, I can't seem to find an explanation as to what Static Navigation is and when you should shouldn't use it.

D
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With SN ON and using with a car based application you shouldn't see the map jumping around when stationary, if you have SN OFF the map might jump around when stationary.
When using with Memory Map walking etc you want the SN OFF, this provides the position updates more smoothly for low speed activity (such as walking etc) - if the SN is switched ON when using low speed (topographical applications) you will find your current position jumps in large steps as you move down a path, often showing inaccurate trails on your device - Hope this helps - Mike
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
Phil, I use a little application that can be found HERE to toggle the SN On/Off - I should add it works fine with WM2003SE but it fails when using WM2005, its a small application that is easy to use and offers the best of both worlds when using a single device for automotive/ walking - Mike

Mike- thanks for the pointer - I find the 'pain' bit having to think about changing it in the first place Smile

As I said before the moving around whilst stationary in the car isn't a problem to me - so I tend to leave it SN OFF.

ktmoxford - If you cycle as slowly as I do you will need to switch it off on your bike rides also!
ktmoxford
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike,

Thanks again for the info, I will play around with the settings and find what is best for off road stuff. I had hoped to record a track today, but after covering about 70miles and checking that it was indeed tracking I managed to lose all the data. My PDA now seems to hang quite a lot and won't turn back on without a soft reset. Having done this the data was lost, must remember to back it up next time before switching off.

Philpugh,

Sorry should have been more specific, I ride an enduro bike (KTM 400) on the nerwork of Byeways open to all traffic (Legal green lanes).

D
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah! You'll certailnly be travelling faster than me on my trusty 24 geared 'push' bike then.

Regarding the soft resets. Remember to EXIT your application rather than using the CLOSE WINDOW 'X' at the top RHS of screen. Closing the window will screw up the BT connectivity and restoring the application will often (almost always) require a soft reset.

Using the application's own exit/close command should result in a reliable stop and start mechanism.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: